PDA

View Full Version : New here, yes, another COAL question : (

Laminarman
06-10-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm pretty new to reloading but have done well reloading .45 with both FMJ and LRN, as well as 9mm with LRN for my STI Guardian. The load that shoots real well out of my Guardian is 4.7gr WSF with a 124 LRN from Penn Bullets. I have five pounds of WSF so would like to use that up if I could. That cartridge, set at 1.169 COAL will not drop into my new Sig Sauer P938 Nightmare. I can feed factory loads fine which I think are 1.050 or thereabouts (I have the measurements written down at home I'm at work now.) I am sorry to ask such a stupid question, but a definitive answer can't be found by me on Google as to how to get a shorter COAL with the 124 bullet and WSF. Do I back off to the minimum load in grains and seat to the depth that works? I don't want to blow a limb off and know enough to ask you folks for advice. I can find lead loads online that are shorter but they are with other powders I don't own. Sorry again for the newb question- this is a great site.

Handloader109
06-10-2014, 10:00 AM
I'll comment from MY experience. I had to reduce OAL to 1.070 or less depending on the bullet selected. And YES, I typically have used min load to try depending on the powder. Have gone slightly below min on some of the bullets, but not much lower. If failed to cycle, gone back up to good cycle performance. One suggestion is to make up a dummy round, no powder or primer and use a 'plunk' test to made sure you stay as long oal as you can. (drop round into barrel removed from the gun) I DON'T load max loads now as I'm not carrying, just target shooting, but I guarantee, they will all put a hole or two in whatever I'm pointing at!

Laminarman
06-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Thank you 109, I appreciate it. I would hate to get a bullet lodged. I'll do the drop test to see what seats properly then measure that COAL. Then I'll drop to minimum load by hand trickling, go out back, shoot, make sure it clears the barrel and cycles, and if not go up from there bit by bit. I am using the loads just for practice and to do it cost effectively.

mdi
06-10-2014, 12:21 PM
With any changes, always start with the recommended starting load in your manual. OAL is determined by the shape of the bullet and the chamber. You need to be able to seat the bullet deep enough for the full diameter to be away from the rifling/end of the chamber. This is why there are different OAL dimensions listed in your manual...

Find the OAL for your particular bullet in your manual and use the starting load. Get some ammo that chambers and shoots, then start "experimenting"...