PDA

View Full Version : Found a good load for my 24/47!

Deep Six
06-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Some of you may have read my posts in the gunsmithing section regarding straightening out the sites on my 24/47.* Well I finally got that done, glass bedded it in the military stock, and finally got to shooting it today.* I have only one mold for 8mm, the Accurate 32-175B (designed by me) which I am casting from approximately WW +2% tin alloy, water quenched, sized at 0.325", Hornady GC, and lubed with Ben's Red.* Today I tried the following three loads in PPU commercial brass with WLR primers:

1. 18 Gr. #2400, seated till the last loob groove is just inside the neck, no crimp.* This one shot spectacularly, with a 4 shot group measuring a little under an inch at 50 yards with iron sights.* Easy enough on the shoulder I could shoot it all day.* I also shot my soft steel rooster gong and it left a wee bit of a divot, just a little more than hot 44 mags loads do.* I estimate it's probably a 1600-1700 fps load.

2. 10 Gr. Unique, seated till the last loob groove is just inside the neck no crimp.* This one felt the same as the 2400 load but didn't group as well - about 1.75 inches for 4 shots.* Left the same amount of divot in the rooster as the 1st load.

3. 32.0 Gr IMR 4198.* This was a lot hotter - more than 20 or so and my shoulder would hurt from the steel butt.* Not as accurate either - about 2" for four shots but completely vertical stringing, no horizontal.* I shot the rooster once and won't do it again with this load as it penetrated about half way through the 1/2" thick gong.* I'm guessing this load was running at least 2200 fps.

The good news is that there wasn't a speck of lead in the barrel when I got done firing all three different loads.* I ran a brush and patch down the bore and the only thing that came out was a little powder residue.

Anyways, the 2400 load is definitely a keeper as it is a nice soft plinking load for extended sessions or to let youth/women experience an old war rifle without the painful recoil of full out loads.* I would like to find a bit warmer load though - something at least 2000 fps that is still good and accurate.* Obviously the boolit and lube are good for more as the 3rd load demonstrated.* Should I reduce the 4198 charge and see if that works?* What's the limit with 2400?* I have H110 on hand but I believe that particular powder gets goofy with less than a full case (which would obviously be an extreme overcharge in the 8mm case).* Beyond those I have slower powders like 4895 (IMR and H), Varget, R15, and IMR4831.* It seems those would be too slow to reduce enough though.* I guess I could try to find some 4227 or R7 but I'd rather not add yet another type of powder to my inventory.

Overall I'm very pleased with my work and the rifle.* I have one excellent load.* Just looking for suggestions on a higher velocity load that shoots just as good.

Edit: not sure what all the astricks are about but I don't feel like editing them all out.

frnkeore
06-10-2014, 01:35 AM
About 33 gr of either of the 4895's or 2 gr more of the Varget/R15 should get you in the 2000 fps range. You can try about 40 gr of 4831. I had good accuracy with 46 gr of WC 852 (H4831 speed) and a 220 gr bullet (2100+ fps), it's a little slower ball powder than IMR4831.

18 gr of H110 is also a good load low pressure load, possibly better grouping than the 2400.

Frank