PDA

View Full Version : Difference in shellholders?

leadbutt
06-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Hey all. Im trying to see what brand of shellholders i should invest in. I know from being in the garage that different makers make certain tools better then others on certain types of things. Im figuring the same would be true for shellholders. Better fit? Tighter? Help me out here plz.

L. Bottoms

tazman
06-09-2014, 09:09 PM
I haven't noticed any significant difference among the different manufacturers for the 3 or 4 common holders I am currently using. They all work for me.

500MAG
06-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I've got a bunch of all the different makers. No big difference to me. I do like the Lee set it makes it easier to keep them organized.

Mk42gunner
06-09-2014, 09:24 PM
If all you are going to load is fairly standard cartridges, the Lee shell holders will work fine. I bought one of their sets that contain 11 shell holders 20+ years ago and I am still using them with no problems. conversely, the only shell holders I have ever broken were Lee's for the .43 Spanish, it is such a popular cartridge (not) that the two or three I broke could have all been from the same production lot.

When I have to buy new ones for a new round that my set doesn't fit, I try to buy RCBS or Hornady; I have never had a problem with them.

Robert

dbosman
06-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Like any machined parts, there can be some small differences.
In my opinion, less now than thirty years ago.
For most casual loaders the Lee set is a great bargain.

joesig
06-09-2014, 09:43 PM
All of mine are RCBS. Redding has a $et that varies in height so you can adjust the headspace when you cam-over.

Tim357
06-10-2014, 12:32 AM
Actually, every set of dies I have has its own shellholder. Stored in the die box. Assorted brands, but when I grab a set of dies to load, I don't have to hunt up a shellholder

jetinteriorguy
06-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Not trying to bash Lee, but they are the only ones I've had any issues with. I don't think it's so much the problem with the Lee shellholders as with the quality of brass these days. Every once in a while one of the ones for my .357/.38 just won't accept a case. I believe it's due to the rim of the case just being too thick, but I haven't had this problem with my Lyman. It's like the Lyman is built to a looser standard. I haven't had any problems with my other Lee shellholders, a heck of a bargain in my opinion.

mozeppa
06-10-2014, 09:26 PM
i use the rcbs strip type of primer machine ...the "aps"

and when i use it it has to have rcbs shell holders in it...
otherwise the little plastic bushing that goes inside the bottom of the shell holder
won't fit right.

i've noted that the rcbs shell holders are made uniformly the same in every aspect with the exception of caliber size.

i tried lee and lyman ....not the same .....even if the caliber is the same. example: i have 2 lee 38/357 shell holders...both hold the same caliber but there are differences between the 2 .

not bashing.....just rcbs makes a better holder to me.

EDG
06-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Some brands try to cover too many cartridges with one shell holder.

Some brands of 7X57 brass do not work with most of the common 30-06 shell holders.
Norma is one of those brands and it requires a different shell holder than what is commonly specified.
I think the .257 Roberts is the same way. These cases vary by brand - some work some don't.

The 6.5 Carcano does not work that well with the RCBS #9 and the Lee shell holder specified is even worse.
I think the only correct shell holder for Carcano brass is made by Hornady.

So the answer is do some research most common rounds work in everyone's shell holders.
But there are some cases that need more than just the ordinary. The 7x57 & .257 Roberts and the 6.5/7.35 Carcano are some of them.
I think Lee also does not have a good shell holder for the .35 Remington .

Le Loup Solitaire
06-10-2014, 10:18 PM
I have shell holders from all the major brands and they all have worked well for me over the years including the one piece versions originally made by C&H that were used on the old H presses. I did have to make a small chart to keep track of what went with what and the various numbering systems; that made life easier. LLS

leadbutt
06-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the input all.

L. Bottoms

rockshooter
06-11-2014, 12:01 AM
every once in a while you will run across one that doesn't have a slot cut for the primer- avoid them. If there is no slot there, cases with higher (spent) primers won't fit.
Loren

dudel
06-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Go with the company that makes the widest variety of shell holders. Some companies try to make a shell holder work on too many different cartridges. All very similar cases, but some will fit tighter, others just right, and some will be loose. On the tight ones you'll fiddle a bit more getting the brass into the holder; on the loose ones, you take a chance of ripping the rim when the brass comes out of sizing.

The vendor that has the greatest variety will have shell holders that will fit the best. There's not that much difference in cost between them. In today's market shortages, sometimes you just have to get what's available or settle down for a wait.

Green Frog
06-12-2014, 08:43 AM
I find that the basic Lee set was a great investment and covers about 90%+ of my shell holding needs. That said, the comments about larger numbers of shell holders from a manufacturer giving better fit to specific cartridges are also quite valid. I have repeatedly found that trying to "cross reference" between manufacturers is a sort of hit-or-miss proposition, so if the Lee doesn't cover it, or if I'm using an old Lyman press that takes J-type shell holders, I like to try them out for a good fit before I get too serious... I tore up some expensive 327 Fed Mag brass and a through-the-die powder die when I got a loose Lyman shell holder. :(

Froggie

WallyM3
06-12-2014, 09:05 AM
One thing I recently discovered that I like is Redding's practice of knurling the edges of their shell holder. I have a RCBS A2 that it very stubborn about letting go of them. The knurling is a place to get a grip.

There are lots of variations in shell holder dimensions. I recently made a set of pilots for a Bair case trimmer. The fellow who needed them started measuring every shell holder he encountered and found considerable and consistent (within the brands) variances in primer drop holes. I recently found two in my collection that would accept 32 ACP cases, but not .30 M1 Carbine cases, though they are nominally identical.

Go figure.

leadbutt
06-16-2014, 02:10 PM
"All very similar cases, but some will fit tighter, others just right, and some will be loose. On the tight ones you'll fiddle a bit more getting the brass into the holder; on the loose ones, you take a chance of ripping the rim when the brass comes out of sizing."

Ripping the rim is the prob im having. Which make shellholders is what im trying to figure out. Lee?

L. Bottoms