PDA

View Full Version : FN 49 Headspacing

Gunor
06-09-2014, 11:13 AM
I have an Egyptian FN49.

I put a new barrel on it. Now I am head spacing. I got gages and etc.

Has anyone have actual experience in head spacing on of these?

I was able to use the GO gauge and 'almost' gently push down on bolt to 'close' it. I felt that taking a .001 or .002 off the locking shoulder would just be right....

Took the locking shoulder out...stoned .001 off - put it back in - bolt does not even get as far as before - thinking spring back and etc.

My question - anyone have experience in adjusting the FN-49 head space this way.

I was not too worried about just stoning a little material off the locking shoulder.

I have looked thru the internet on FN-49 locking shoulder dimensions - not really good luck - nor is my locking shoulder stamped with any #.

Thanks

Geoff in Oregon

MtGun44
06-10-2014, 01:47 AM
Possibly rotated ever so slightly between checks. I have not done a '49 but have done a few
FALs, which I believe are the same system, crosspin. I think you may be overthinking this. If
the gun will close on a GO gage, you are OK. It will only wear in and get a bit looser. Try to
chamber a few rounds (remove firing pin!) and if they chamber OK, just shoot it.

Do you have access to gage pins? I used a gage pin that would just let it close on aa
GO gage and selected a cross pin with the same dimensions with a mic and pressed
it in. NOT easy to swap out FAL pins. Checked with a few rounds of milsurp ammo,
no problems shooting it. If it won't chamber normal ammo - stone off a couple more
thousandths. No magic, only engineering.

Bill

Gunor
06-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks.

I have taken out the shoulder a few times - getting closer. I have taken about .005 off the shoulder with a stone. Still not closing - getting closer.

I guess my big question was the stoning - at first I was thinking a few thousand's. Probably going to stone off a total of 7-8 off. I am being careful, but the more I take off, the bigger chance to screw up. And screw up the angle.

A yes I have to remember it is not an benchrest rifle, nor an AK.

MtGun44
06-14-2014, 02:39 AM
The REAL test is will it chamber the ammo you plan on using.

Bill