PDA

View Full Version : 45ACP revolver

WALLNUTT
06-08-2014, 11:59 PM
I've got a Ruger New Vaquero on the way in 45ACP. I've never had a 45 so I' m starting with nothing. I was wondering what would be a good LEE mold to start with to make it easy on my pocket at first. Since it's a revolver I assume I won't be limited to just ACP type bullets. The TL line of molds all look like bevel base in pictures.I have no experience with BB. Will they shoot as well as flat base. I would like to stay with plain base. No GCs.

Dutchman
06-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Get the Lee clone of the HG68 200 gr SWC. My Smith & Wesson loves that bullet. If you don't care for bevel base (I don't) then look for the Lyman type of the 200 gr SWC. Excellent bullets in .45 acp.

I've shot up to 255 gr SWC in a .45 acp case out of a S&W .45 2nd Model Hand Ejector.

I've got one of the Lee Group Buy 6 cavity molds of the original Hensley & Gibbs No.68. It does not have a bevel base.

Dutch

Piedmont
06-09-2014, 03:52 AM
You can shoot 260 grains if you want, or 185 grain button nose wadcutters. Something to consider though, since that revolver has fixed sights is that it might be wise to regulate the sights for something about 230 grains. Your heavier bullets will hit high at 25 yds. and the lighter bullets will hit low. If it were mine, I would get a 230 grain mold and a truncated cone is a good compromise and you don't have to worry about feeding.

A bevel base will shoot well but if you are going to eventually use a conventional Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer the bevel base will cause problems with gooey bases. Even if you are a tumble luber at this time, you can tumble lube a conventional bullet with one or two lube grooves and it will still work fine.

mikeym1a
06-09-2014, 07:22 AM
I vote for the Lee 200gr SWC, microgroove. I have used it in my 1911A1 without any problems. I have not even had to size the slugs, just lubed and shot as dropped. I've never had any problems with leading or failure to feed. I guess I've been lucky. Of course, with your revolver, it may be different. BTW, is this a 'half-moon' clip design, or what? Just curious.

chboats
06-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I am in the same place as WALLNUTT except I have several molds for my 1911. If the 150gr wad cutter is the most accurate target boolit in a 38 would the same apply for the 45 ACP revolver? WALLNUTT has the additional problem, as Piedmont stated, of regulating the load to the sights. Would the wad cutter be better than the button nose SWC?
mikeym1a - WALLNUTT's is a single action, extraction is not a problem.

Carl

Deep Six
06-09-2014, 02:32 PM
One word of caution about acp in the ruger revolvers: since the 45 cal models tend to have tight throats, look for a bullet that doesnt have very much full diameter nose past the case. I shoot the lee 228-1r out of an acp blackhawk but you have to seat it deep to ensure easy chambering. Something with a shoulder that seats inside the case would be better. I recommend the lee 200 swc or lee 230-2r.

WALLNUTT
06-09-2014, 06:59 PM
I was thinking of starting with something around 200gr. Less lead and recoil and if it shoots good but low, easier to file the front sight down to raise poi. What's the chances of not ending up with a bunch of molds like my other calibers? I thought this reloading/casting thing was supposed to save me money!

Deep Six
06-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Well I wouldn't file down the front site to match a 200 gr load. I take it this is a convertible, unless its one of the birdshead acp only guns. For 45 colt, 230 is about as light as practical, and 300+ gr loads are well within the capabilities of the cartridge. My point is that 45 colt loads are going to shoot off paper high if you file the front site to match 200 gr acp loads.

I recommeng regulating for full power 230 gr loads in the acp. Standard 255 gr colt loads will be real close and both light acp loads and heavy colt loads will still be on the paper.

c1skout
06-09-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm happy with the Lee 200 RNFP out of my Blackhawk convertible, but you do need to seat them deep. I like the Lee 230 TLRN too, but it doesn't shoot quite as well in my gun.

WALLNUTT
06-09-2014, 10:29 PM
It is a birdshead 45ACP not a convertible. I won't be too hasty to get out the file. I plan to find the best load possible first and then stick with it. If that means I have to file ,oh well but if heavier shoots good/better and to poa I,ll be happy to leave the file on the wall. I just want to start w/o breaking the bank early. Might try a tumble lube to start,never used one. I can always go conventional later.

Deep Six
06-09-2014, 10:50 PM
In that case I'd get the tumble 230-2R. It's got a shoulder so it will chamber easy. It's standard weight for caliber so it should at least come close to point of aim.

WALLNUTT
06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Thanks all for the responses. Deep Six, do you use the TL230-2R and find it accurate even with the bevel base?

enfieldphile
06-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Either the Lee clone of the H&G 68, or the 225 TC.

Either one works great.

I shoot both boolits out of 4 different S&W revolvers.

Since it is for a revolver, consider a Redding Profile Crimp Die.

Dale53
06-11-2014, 08:29 AM
The .45 ACP in a Ruger is practical, absolutely. My SS Bisley Convertible does FINE work with the Mihec faithful copy of the H&G #68 (200 gr SWC) ahead of 4.0 grs of Bullseye or equivalent. However, I DID have to ream my cylinders (both ACP and Colt) before they worked well. I reamed to .4525" with a "made for the job" Manson reamer kit with pilots.

Here is my first target off a makeshift rest at 50 feet (it was COLD outside so I used the indoor range):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img072.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/img072.jpg.html)

I had just finished the reaming job and had not yet sighted it in. The Bisley has adjustable sights so i just dialed it in without issue.

NOTE:
I had some .45 Cowboy Special brass on hand that work quite well in the .45 ACP cylinder when/if I need to use a heavier bullet that needs roll crimped. It headspaces perfectly on the thin rim of the Special brass when used in the ACP cylinder.

I mostly just use .45 ACP brass, taper crimped with the bullet of choice. I also have the Lee 230 gr TC bullet mould with conventional lube groove. It works well if you need a heavier bullet (doesn't shoot quite as good but good enough - about 1 1/4" at 25 yards off a rest).

Good luck with your new .45 ACP. I predict you'll be more than happy with it once you get it dialed in. I have a .45 COLT Vaquero (Bisley) and it shoots to the sights right out of the box. Hopefully, you'll have the same luck!

Dale53

WALLNUTT
06-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Where did you get the Cowboy Spl brass? I'm hoping I don't need to ream the throats. Would yo like to rent the reamer if I need to. I live in NKY, and work in Cincy.

Dale53
06-11-2014, 01:53 PM
WALLNUTT;
I got the .45 Cowboy Special brass from the original supplier (no longer in business). However, I believe someone else has picked up the task. It is a bit pricey, tho':

http://cowboy45specialbrass.blogspot.com/

You might want to shorten a piece of .45 Colt brass to see if the head space is correct for your revolver (I've only checked it in a couple of different guns).

I borrowed the reamer kit so don't have it to loan out. I DO highly recommend the process, tho'.

FWIW
Dale53

SSGOldfart
06-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Humm I'd go with the H&G#68 sized to .452 but you'll have to check your gun maybe slug it?then look at the reamer as a last choice just my .02

SSGOldfart
06-11-2014, 02:35 PM
The .45 ACP in a Ruger is practical, absolutely. My SS Bisley Convertible does FINE work with the Mihec faithful copy of the H&G #68 (200 gr SWC) ahead of 4.0 grs of Bullseye or equivalent. However, I DID have to ream my cylinders (both ACP and Colt) before they worked well. I reamed to .4525" with a "made for the job" Manson reamer kit with pilots.

Here is my first target off a makeshift rest at 50 feet (it was COLD outside so I used the indoor range):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img072.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/img072.jpg.html)

I had just finished the reaming job and had not yet sighted it in. The Bisley has adjustable sights so i just dialed it in without issue.

NOTE:
I had some .45 Cowboy Special brass on hand that work quite well in the .45 ACP cylinder when/if I need to use a heavier bullet that needs roll crimped. It headspaces perfectly on the thin rim of the Special brass when used in the ACP cylinder.

I mostly just use .45 ACP brass, taper crimped with the bullet of choice. I also have the Lee 230 gr TC bullet mould with conventional lube groove. It works well if you need a heavier bullet (doesn't shoot quite as good but good enough - about 1 1/4" at 25 yards off a rest).

Good luck with your new .45 ACP. I predict you'll be more than happy with it once you get it dialed in. I have a .45 COLT Vaquero (Bisley) and it shoots to the sights right out of the box. Hopefully, you'll have the same luck!

Dale53
Nice group

WALLNUTT
06-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I don't have the gun yet,just trying to get my mind right. I would ream only if needed.

dmize
06-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Well if you get one with throats that aren't tight you need to buy a lottery ticket.

9.3X62AL
06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I don't have the gun yet,just trying to get my mind right. I would ream only if needed.

If it comes to that step, there are at least 2 vendors on this site that can ream your cylinder throats for nominal cost. No need to buy/rent tools.

I really miss having a 45 ACP wheelgun. They are a useful, practical, accurate, and tractable platform.

I have had generally good luck getting fixed-sight handguns to "shoot to the sights". My most recent such adventure involved a Uberti Cattleman in 44-40 WCF x 4-3/4". I tried out my loads used in the Win 1873 levergun I bought to pair it up with--200 grain SAECO #446 atop 13.5 grains of 2400. Right from the start, rounds hit where the sights directed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

WALLNUTT
06-11-2014, 08:36 PM
I know about the 2 vendors,just trying to skip the shipping. I don't think the vendors do it for free either.

9.3X62AL
06-12-2014, 02:12 AM
You won't know until you have the wheelgun in hand, most likely. My first 45 ACP wheelgun--a S&W Model 25-2--had .455"-.456" throats. 45-70 bullets might have fit, but ACP slugs were a waste of time. My two Ruger Blackhawk convertibles were all right, but didn't get much use--their 45 Colt cylinders got most of the range and field time.

Dale53
06-12-2014, 09:59 AM
I have had two Rugers with fixed sights. One was an original Vaquero in .45 Colt. It shot to the sights right to left but shot low. The front sight was plenty tall to carefully file down until it was shooting to the sights at 25 yards with my chosen load. Later, I wanted to try a Bisley Vaquero, so I sold the Vaquero to a dealer (he had seen it shoot and was willing to pay a premium for it) and bought my Bisley Vaquero. It shot to the sights right out of the box (both black powder loads and smokeless loaded to the same velocity - about 900 fps). That revolver won me quite a few Black Powder Cartridge matches.

Further, it is a MOST practical field revolver.

I predict that the original poster is going to have a grand time with his new revolver.

FWIW
Dale53

WALLNUTT
06-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Dale53 Do youshoot BPCS at Friendship?

mikeym1a
06-13-2014, 12:51 AM
i am in the same place as wallnutt except i have several molds for my 1911. If the 150gr wad cutter is the most accurate target boolit in a 38 would the same apply for the 45 acp revolver? Wallnutt has the additional problem, as piedmont stated, of regulating the load to the sights. Would the wad cutter be better than the button nose swc?
Mikeym1a - wallnutt's is a single action, extraction is not a problem.

Carl

duh!!!!!! Where did my brain go? Vaquero. Yep. Single action. Yep. duh! :rolleyes:

Moonie
06-13-2014, 12:55 PM
I had to ream the 45acp cylinder in my convertible NMBH, in addition to the 45 Colt cylinder.

Dale53
06-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Dale53 Do youshoot BPCS at Friendship?

I shot BPCR Silhouette at Friendship along with the side pistol matches until I lost most of the sight in my right eye. No more long guns after that...:sad:

One of my most satisfying matches occured at Friendship on the side pistol matches. I won 7 of 8 with the Bisley Vaquero (got beat at fifty yards as my score at fifty on the NRA slow fire target was 92x100). A feller beat me by a point or two. There was some fine shooting there that day.

Dale53

WALLNUTT
06-14-2014, 12:55 AM
A friend I shoot with at the club shoots every BPCS match there,uses High Walls. I gotta go see some day. I used to shoot the IHMSA course 3 matches a month. Sounds like a fine bunch of fellas at Frienship. I took possesion of the revolver today and slugged the barrel and throats. Barrel=.450 Throats= .4505-.451. Barrel slug goes through throats easily. Might be a little tight at the threads. I'm not the best slugger around. I'll have to see if it shoots ok. Don't know,kind of odd diameters.

WALLNUTT
06-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Shot the bird today with some Rem factory 230g. About 4" left and a foot low at 50ft I've got plenty to do now.