PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 638

Ilwil
06-08-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm considering buying one with a 3" barrel. I've never shot an Airweight. Am I going to be really unhappy with the recoil? I shoot a LW Commander with no problem; I'd like to get input from folks familiar with this platform. I'd expect to mostly shoot it with medium power wcs or swcs.

Beau Cassidy
06-08-2014, 10:30 PM
I used to have one. Recoil won't be all that bad. I quickly got rid of mine as I stayed freaked out as to whether or not it was cocked or not. Went with a 642. Happy camper now.

rintinglen
06-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Recoil is an issue with +P ammo. I know of no one who delights in shooting j-frame snubbies with hot loads. However, with target wadcutter loads, things become more bearable. My normal practice session is 30-50 rounds of light loads and one cylinder of my defense loads to verify point of aim. The 3 inch is more manageable than the 2 inch. My own model 38 was my back up gun for years.

9.3X62AL
06-09-2014, 11:21 AM
The shooting regimen IlWil is suggesting will be fine. A steady long-term diet of +P might induce excessive wear, but familiarization shooting won't wear it out in 3 years, either. Recoil is noticeable with such small revolvers, but aftermarket grips can help you deal with that and control the piece more effectively. Pachmayr Compacs worked about the best for me with the little J-framers.

stu1ritter
06-10-2014, 07:24 AM
I have a model 60 with a 3" barrel and it is just on the tolerable limit for recoil with factory level loads. I have a model 37 airweight for carry and shooting any defense ammo is quite a chore. If you load your own, no problem, you can make it comfortable to shoot. I've been shooting handguns for 55 years (bullseye mainly) and seem to have lost my taste for excessive recoil.
Stu

Ilwil
06-10-2014, 01:40 PM
A Model 60 with 3" barrel would be my first choice, but they are hard to find, and priced very dearly when they do surface. I'm a big believer in 3" barrels as a minimum revolver length. That extra inch makes a huge difference in shootability, accuracy, and empties extraction. Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments.

Lefty Red
06-11-2014, 11:25 PM
I will mimic what everyone else has said:
1) 3" barrel is nice!
2) standard pressure loads are far better in training.
3) just a few +p loads to see where you are hitting.

It takes time to learn the trigger and handle a snubbie. I shoot my S&W 642 twice a week and usually 50-75 rounds at a time. I am amazed at the differance in shootablity and accuracy between my first time and a month later. It just takes a little effort.

One thing I will add is to be sure to grab the weapon high up on the grip.

Enjoy a great revolver.
Jery

Uncle R.
06-12-2014, 12:09 AM
I have a 642 and carry it often. I love the little beast and consider it the perfect balance between small, lightweight carry convenience and terminal effectiveness but with +P loads it's about as much fun as I care to enjoy. In practice sessions I usually quit after maybe 20 or 25 rounds. I'd sure hate to have to go through 100 rounds of my "FBI load" carry ammo in a single session on the range. I'd rather shoot something a little easier on the hands - like my Super Blackhawk.
<
Drop those same loads in the chambers of my model 15 and it's a pleasant all-day shooter.
Size really does matter.
:bigsmyl2:
<
Uncle R.

Larry in MT
06-14-2014, 10:10 AM
My 38 recoils some: but it's not really uncomfortable. I find little difference in +P loads; although my +Ps are 125 or 135 grain and my reloads (standard pressure) are 158 grain. I wouldn't care for a 3" barrel as my 38 spends lots of time in my jeans pocket.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/larrykay47/7df01d0a.jpg