PDA

View Full Version : The cast bullit smile

wistlepig1
06-08-2014, 08:48 PM
I have a friend (George) that was interested in learning how to cast bullits. He had told me the story where about 35 years ago, George and his shooting buddies of the time decided to make some cast bullets and the tinsel fairy came to call before the first bullit rolled out of the mold. So that was the end of the bullet making. So you can imagine my surprised at his request to teach him how I was able to make so many thousands of cast bullits over the last 45 years without the fairy visiting me.

So yesterday George showed up with the gloves, apron, and safety glasses I asked him to bring. We started with a safety talk about do’s and don’ts and a demo by me on how to cast. At this point I handed him the 230 gr TC Lee, by his third drop he was getting nice, clean cast bullits. The smile on his face was something to see and after 100 or so I hand him a preheated 22 cal Bator. The smile faded during the next 30+ he dropped and finely he started to get some fair ones. The smile came back and he said, “ This is kinda fun”.

You want to see that “smile”, teach a friend to cast!

TXGunNut
06-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Good job! If I'd been visited by the tinsel fairy first time out I'd be a little spooky too. Darn shame it took him 35 years to get over it.

petroid
06-09-2014, 08:49 AM
I guess it's true...give a man a bullet, he shoots today. Teach him to cast, he'll shoot for his whole life. Lol

osteodoc08
06-09-2014, 09:35 AM
I guess it's true...give a man a bullet, he shoots today. Teach him to cast, he'll shoot for his whole life. Lol

Or until he runs out of components.....LOL.

OP, good on you for teaching him the safe and correct way.