PDA

View Full Version : .44 Special 208 Gr WC Load Data - Is there any out there?

Duster340
06-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Hi Folks,

I hope everyone is well today. Recently acquired a .429 208 grain WC Lee Mold with hopes to work up a few plinking, target and small game loads for my Bulldog. Have not been able to find any load data for this slug in any of my manuals. On hand I have Unique, Red Dot & Blue Dot and have developed some nice loads using each with 240 SWC gr & 214 gr SWC ( Weigh in at 220 gr w/WW lead I'm using). I'm thinking 4.5-5.0 gr Red Dot and 6'ish gr of Unique might be good starting points for the WC's. However, this is my first foray into loading WC's and I am trying to determine the appropriate OAL to use with the WC boolits. Any first hand experience/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :-P

Wally
06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
I have that bullet mold and use 5.0 of Bullseye..I have also used 5.0 or Red Dot and it works just as well. Very accurate in my Model 24 & Ruger SBHK. Take really good care of that bullet mold... The Lee 214 SWC also works very well.

gray wolf
06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Did you not see loads for a 205 or a 210 grain bullet ? If you really get jammed up use the 214/220 grain SWC data that you have, work up the load and crimp in the crimp groove.
If it is truly a full wad cutter that is meant to seat flush with the case mouth you may have to start lower with the powder charge because of the extra space the longer seated full WC takes up. ( increased pressure )

Duster340
06-08-2014, 11:24 PM
I have that bullet mold and use 5.0 of Bullseye..I have also used 5.0 or Red Dot and it works just as well. Very accurate in my Model 24 & Ruger SBHK. Take really good care of that bullet mold... The Lee 214 SWC also works very well.

Thanks for the feedback Wally. Much appreciated. I'll definitely take care of that old WC mold, took quite awhile to track one down. Are you seating the WC flush? Protruding? Thanks. And yes, the 214 gr SWC shoot nicely from the Bulldog, I'll be working up a few test batches for my old SBH soon.

Did you not see loads for a 205 or a 210 grain bullet ? If you really get jammed up use the 214/220 grain SWC data that you have, work up the load and crimp in the crimp groove.
If it is truly a full wad cutter that is meant to seat flush with the case mouth you may have to start lower with the powder charge because of the extra space the longer seated full WC takes up. ( increased pressure )

Hi grey wolf. Yep see plenty of loads for the various weight SWC's in my manuals. Just nothing at all for a true WC. Seen some folks load various .44 Special WC's that are not seated flush (maybe heavier and/or longer WC's?, others load them nearly flush. This is my dilemma. Thanks for the feedback.

Be well guys.

blackpowder man
06-09-2014, 02:07 PM
I went through the same thing a couple of years ago and found some loads using unique that did well. Also used 231 as I recall. Biggest problem I had was the mold dropped a 429 boolit and they would shoot from the S&Ws I had, but were too small for the rugers. I purchased a NOE 250 grain wc mold for the .45 colt and shot alot of them through the .460. Same thing though with the lack of data. Requires more range time when working up loads that aren't in the books, which isn't a bad thing to me. The range is one of my most favorite places.

richhodg66
06-09-2014, 03:24 PM
"Biggest problem I had was the mold dropped a 429 boolit"

They leaded in my Taurus. I never mic'd any, maybe the undersized bullet is why. I can't remember what I loaded them with, but it was Unique and about at that 5 grain of Bullseye level. I shot them unsized and tumble lubed.

Lyman made a 180 grain wadcutter mold. I never had the mold, but my dad cast some for me I shot in my Bulldog. Nice bullet, more pleasant to shoot than most standard weight .44 bullets in that little gun, but shot low.

Wally
06-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback Wally. Much appreciated. I'll definitely take care of that old WC mold, took quite awhile to track one down. Are you seating the WC flush? Protruding? Thanks. And yes, the 214 gr SWC shoot nicely from the Bulldog, I'll be working up a few test batches for my old SBH soon.

Hi grey wolf. Yep see plenty of loads for the various weight SWC's in my manuals. Just nothing at all for a true WC. Seen some folks load various .44 Special WC's that are not seated flush (maybe heavier and/or longer WC's?, others load them nearly flush. This is my dilemma. Thanks for the feedback.

Be well guys.

I seat to crimp in the crimping groove..have also used it in some medium .44 Magnum loads, although I prefer the Lee 214 SWC better in that caliber.

Wally
06-09-2014, 07:29 PM
"Biggest problem I had was the mold dropped a 429 boolit"

They leaded in my Taurus. I never mic'd any, maybe the undersized bullet is why. I can't remember what I loaded them with, but it was Unique and about at that 5 grain of Bullseye level. I shot them unsized and tumble lubed.

Lyman made a 180 grain wadcutter mold. I never had the mold, but my dad cast some for me I shot in my Bulldog. Nice bullet, more pleasant to shoot than most standard weight .44 bullets in that little gun, but shot low.

Yes, I have an old single cavity Lyman 429348 as well...Casts at 185 grains. It shoots very accurately but is a weird looking bullet with 2 very small grease grooves.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Many years go I used the 208 in 44 Mag cases for a short range target load. My mold was a single cavity that dropped bullets at .429-.430 so I did not have problem with fit/leading. I seated flush with the case mouth and used loads of Unique...5.0-5.5 grains. It shot well out of 2 S&W mod. 29's; burned cleanly and with low recoil. LLS

Duster340
06-09-2014, 11:12 PM
I seat to crimp in the crimping groove..have also used it in some medium .44 Magnum loads, although I prefer the Lee 214 SWC better in that caliber.

Got it. Thanks again.

Duster340
06-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Requires more range time when working up loads that aren't in the books, which isn't a bad thing to me. The range is one of my most favorite places.

I hear you blackpowder man, I do enjoy working up loads. And I can think of a lot worse places to spend time than at the range! And thanks for sharing.

Duster340
06-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Many years go I used the 208 in 44 Mag cases for a short range target load. My mold was a single cavity that dropped bullets at .429-.430 so I did not have problem with fit/leading. I seated flush with the case mouth and used loads of Unique...5.0-5.5 grains. It shot well out of 2 S&W mod. 29's; burned cleanly and with low recoil. LLS

Thank you for sharing LLS. It's appreciated.