PDA

View Full Version : neck sizing for lever gun

twc1964
06-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi guys, i was told by a good friend that i need to only neck size my 30/30 brass for my marlin rifle. i don't have any experience with this procedure. how do i go about doing this and what should i watch for? I've only loaded pistol and 5.56 which i full length resize for my semi auto. thx for any replies.

TXGunNut
06-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Personally I FL size my 30-30's and 32 WS. It doesn't work the brass much as my chambers are apparently pretty close to spec. For these rifles I could probably neck size. I could possibly gain a little accuracy by neck sizing but none of my 30-30's or 32's are particularly accurate anyway. To neck size simply adjust the FL sizing die so that it only contacts the neck. I think neck size dies are available as well. If you're only loading for one rifle this may work but if it's a hunting rifle I'd cycle the loaded rounds to ensure they chamber.

Dan Cash
06-08-2014, 01:55 PM
+1` on what TX Gun Nut says. Also, you need to keep a close watch on case length. I am feeding 2 different Marlins and find it highly desireable to trim each loading. The cases are not completly resized as there is 1/16 inch of unsized neck remaining after the FL sizing operation. These cases grow and can give you some entertaining pressure events.

twc1964
06-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Thx txgunnut, i think i can handle that just fine. i see that u live in my general area. you are somewhere off 287 and I'm just 5 miles out of boyd. Thx agian neighbor.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Depending upon the rifle and load, 'partial resizing' may be a possibility. The .30-30, .32 Special, .348, .218 Bee and some others have enough body taper that a separate neck sizing die is not necessary. If your cases chamber easily after firing, full length sizing may not be necessary. Your full-length sizing die can be screwed in just far enough to size most of the neck without materially affecting the case body. A little care in adjusting the die, then checking case fit in your rifle is all that is really necessary. Redding also makes a set of 'Competition Shellholders that can be used to optimize case resizing. I use these to reduce shoulder set-back when full-length resizing. Very careful die adjustment can accomplish the same thing, but maintaining the casehead square with case body can also be an issue. Adjusting your full-length die so cases chamber easily is different than screwing the die tight against the shellholder. Again, most of the rimmed levergun cartridges are forgiving as to shoulder placement. Case life and some accuracy are the gains with careful adjustment.

fouronesix
06-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Neck only sizing for lever guns? Well, it'll work until it doesn't, then you'll know.
As has been posted, a better compromise is to simply turn out the full length sizer until you can feel resistance in chambering, then turn the sizer back in until you feel no resistance when chambering. Then lock it there for that rifle.

twc1964
06-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Well i guess i have a bit of playing around with the dies to do. thx all for the replies.

Nrut
06-08-2014, 11:14 PM
If you want to get optimum case life and accuracy re-read post #5 until you understand it..
Study up on how the Redding competition shell holders work in conjunction with your full length sizing die..

Redding competition shell holders really make the job fine tuning your shoulder set back for head spacing easy..

Larry Gibson
06-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Depends on the load. A full bore load generally will require partial sizing as mentioned. However most cast bullet lower psi loads do not expand the brass that much. I have NS'd many 30-30 cases for numerous M94s, including my own two, numerous times before any partial sizing is necessary. With cat's sneeze loads only NSing is needed if that. All was before I got a RCBS X-die. Now I have it adjusted for the shortest chamber (headspaced on the shoulder and not the rim) and size all my 30-30 cases with it so the loaded ammo (regardless of load) can be used in either the M94 Carbine or the M94 rifle. Even though a FL sizer the cases fired with cat's sneeze and low end cast bullet loads are essentially only NS'd with the X-die.

Larry Gibson

w30wcf
06-09-2014, 09:33 AM
I have used the Lee Collet neck sizing die on 1000's of .30-30 cases with GREAT results.
I have several .30-30 rifles and have assigned cases for each (important).

w30wcf

Djones
06-09-2014, 01:04 PM
I neck size with a lee collet die for My marlin 336 in 35 rem. It makes it is nice to not have to mess around with case lube. Brass lasts longer too. Even on top end loads I can neck size and rechamber with no problems. I highly suggest trying a lee collet neck sizing die.

OverMax
06-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Repeated Neck sizing only. Works good if your into litt'l dinky low power Target Practice. {which only requires its bullet to have enough energy to pass through a thin piece of paper.} Unique and other similar burning powders are considered for that effort.} If your intended powder choice say's (rifle powder) on its container. Consider F.L. Resizing a suggested requirement.

Djones
06-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Repeated Neck sizing only. Works good if your into litt'l dinky low power Target Practice. {which only requires its bullet to have enough energy to pass through a thin piece of paper.} Unique and other similar burning powders are considered for that effort.} If your intended powder choice say's (rifle powder) on its container. Consider F.L. Resizing a suggested requirement.

My "dinky" loads are 41.0 grains of leverevolution with 200 grain boolit. Velocity is around 2100 FPS iirc. I have neck sized three times in a row so far and no need to full length size.

Neck sizing may be something the op might want to try.