PDA

View Full Version : Neck Turning Tools

cabezaverde
06-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I have been working on forming some 300 Win Mag brass into 350 Remington Magnum.

It looks like I am going to need to turn the necks to keep things safe. What are you guys using and liking for neck turning tools?

mac60
06-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Forster - mounted on a trimmer.

cabezaverde
06-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Anyone have the RCBS system?

country gent
06-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Sinclairs have some very accurate easy to adjust hand neck turners. Neck turning any large quanity of cases can be a real time consuming operation.

Dan Cash
06-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Forster. I have adapted my bench top trimmers to power operation. Trim and turn is a done right now operation.

EDG
06-08-2014, 06:13 PM
There is a good chance you do not need to turn.

Leave a few cases over length. Then spread one of the case mouths open .010 to .015 over size with a tapered punch. Shove the over size case into the chamber so that the funnel shaped case neck is pushed into the chamber neck. Pull the case out and measure the diameter. Repeat to verify and record the information in your notes. Compare to the diameter of a loaded round.

K&M makes a bench rest quality micro-adjustable neck turner. You do not need a Forster trimmer to use it.

The Forster trimmer works ok when it is used with the neck turning attachment. I have used a Marquart the most. I think some one is producing it again. It was around long before the K&M. I also have an old heavy steel neck turner made by Pindel. It works ok too.

r1kk1
06-08-2014, 11:30 PM
I have used a Marquart the most. I think some one is producing it again. It was around long before the K&M. I also have an old heavy steel neck turner made by Pindel. It works ok too.

There's some names from the past.

Ken sold K&M and they are producing the tools. I bought mine from Ken. Called him, he mailed it with an invoice and I paid him. Class act! Don Nielson also produced the pumpkin but I don't think he is anymore.

Take care

r1kk1

BK7saum
06-08-2014, 11:31 PM
I've used the RCBS trimmer mounted unit and also one of the higher end Sinclair turners. The RCBS unit is sitting in a drawer somewhere. It did okay but prefer the handheld unit with lee caseholder in a cordless drill.

Brad

Doc Highwall
06-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I have turned necks before and got rid of the other ones and now I am using this one.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/neck-turning-lathe-from-21st-century/