PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Uglyest best shooting 22??

Remmy4477
06-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Figured this might be interesting?We all have one we can be proud of and rely on, but what about the ugly ones that drive tacks?? Mine is an old Interarms 62 SAC. Pump. I found it about 17 years ago at a gun show, missing it's wood, mag tube and a few screws, all blueing had been buffed off, action was stiff from gunk, but the bore was mint. Paid a whole $5.00 for it!! At the time Interarms wanted close to $100 for the wood and mag tube. Was raising a family so that $100 might as well have been a $1000 at the time! Searched a few more gun shows and found a Winchester 94 butt stock that had it's tang area butchered for what ever reason, another $5.00 investment. Fitted it the best I could to the tang on the 62. Used a peice of 2 by 2 pine to make a useable forearm for it. Made a mag tube out of a brass curtain rod, used a wood dowel and shaped it into a mag follower and end cap. Bought a mag spring at a local gun shop, don't remember the price? Was not much. Replaced the missing screws. Gave the action a good bath and used Brownells Cold blue on the whole darn thing. And have been shooting it since!May be ugly and I get laughs when i pull in out of it's case, but that all stops once the shooting starts! She shoots as good as you can hold it! She's a tack driver! She eats everything I feed her, no quams and shoots nice and is probably one of the most accurate rifles I have. She may be ugly but I'd carry her anywhere!http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107393&d=1402232289

marlin39a
06-08-2014, 09:59 AM
I would have to vote for my Marlin Model 38 slide action I got for free about 20 yrs ago. A woman found it in her cold, damp cellar in Massachusetts. It was covered in rust. However, the internals were perfect. The gun is now all brown, no pits. Shoots like new.

Hamish
06-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Remy, I guess some folks see things different. Your pump is rather handsome methinks,,,,,

nekshot
06-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Remmy, that gun has character and looks good to boot! I don't have a picture but mine is a remington 521-T"Junior Special" I have for 40 some years. With the original peeps and almost any ammo it is too accurate to be fair. I bought a bunch of junk guns for 100.00 and this was the only complete gun in the pile and what a shooter it is.

texassako
06-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Springfield Model 83 single shot that came from a bulk lot of guns purchase. Metal is in the white, not sure where the bluing went since it is not really rusty or pitted either. Ugly cheap stock, sheet metal trigger guard. I found the proper scope mount blocks and mounted a rusty, moldy optics scope I had laying on the shelf. Shoots better than my Marlin 39A with the right ammo.

Remmy4477
06-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Hamish---Nekshot--- Thank You. I like the darn thing! Character, yes I agree. It's the reactions at the range I get when I set it up at the firingline, it's priceless!

Hamish
06-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Admittedly, I have soft spot for the pumps as my Grandfather had a 62A that Was his favorite and accounted for who knows how many rabbits and squirrels in our forays into the woods. Not to mention the interlopers who suffered a permanent lapse in judgement when it came to his garden,,,,,,

montana_charlie
06-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Mine is an Anschutz 1400 sporter bought at the Rod and Gun Club on Birkenfeld Air Station at Birkenfeld, Germany in 1967.
It cost $35, brand new and off the rack.

I brought it home in '69 and used it for a couple of years, then sold it to my Dad for $35.
I 'inherited' it when Dad passed, and now it's the 'truck gun' in my cow patty pickup ... the one which rarely goes outside of the property line.

With a little 3 - 7 power Tasco scope it will make headshots on gophers from ten yards to seventy yards without fail.
But, after all these years in the pickup cab, the wood has faded to a light tan, and almost all vestiges of a 'varnished surface finish' have diasppeared.

It does well with most ammunition but CCI Mini-Mag solids is all that I buy, anymore.

CM

lefty o
06-09-2014, 02:48 PM
different kinda ugly, but my cooper TRP3. fugly green, but it will put bullets in the same hole @50yds.

izzyjoe
06-09-2014, 06:37 PM
I like the looks of your model 62, I have a Remington 510 that I bought off the swap shop radio program here in town many moons ago, the elderly lady said she didn't know what kind it was, but that it was a 22. It was missing the bolt, but other than that it had a nice patina finish to it, I found a bolt on GB for $40, so now I have a grand total of $45 in it, and it shoots great! 50yd. groups can be covered with a Quarter, not bad for iron sights. But my eyes ain't what they used to be!

shooter2
06-13-2014, 04:04 PM
I've been here for ten years and still cannot seem to get a picture posted. ***!

Bigslug
06-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I think there needs to be some kind of averaging scoring matrix that quantifies both ugly and accurate.:kidding:

I scored a 1906 Winchester pump 10-15 years back that was a pretty interesting study. Made in about 1931, it had the original cheap gumwood stock (the 1890 was the pretty version) that had cracked apart - badly - at the wrist and was stitched back together with several pieces of metal strapping that were drilled and tapped to take screws coming in from the opposite side. There is basically little to no finish left on the outside of it - a little white, a little brown, maybe some hints of blue in certain corners to tell you what it once was.

Despite the obvious hard use, the bore is oddly a pristine mirror. All I can figure is that it was some Okie family's sole source of food back in the dust-bowl days, and that somebody in that family was probably a WWI vet who understood the hazards of bore corrosion. Since I planned to shoot the beejeezus out of it, the wood got replaced with walnut from Brownell's, but I left the metal alone - just too cool as it is.

How does it group? I dunno, and I deliberately avoid finding out - I bought it because I got so wrapped up in Highpower, load development, and Smallbore practice that I had forgotten how to plink and have fun. With this one, I'll mix whatever loose shorts or LR's come my way in the same mag and have a ball. When I knuckle down, it'll drill a half liter water bottle with boring regularity at 75 yards.

JMB did that one RIGHT, and it's one of my favorite gun mechanisms. It gets my vote for what will be the last firearm type to wear out after the zombies come.:lol:

foesgth
06-17-2014, 02:14 PM
I wish I had a photo to post on this thread. All of my .22s shoot so they are all beautiful!

Bullshop Junior
06-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Remy, I guess some folks see things different. Your pump is rather handsome methinks,,,,,

I think it looks good as well.

Bullshop Junior
06-17-2014, 05:10 PM
What is a 22?

jsizemore
06-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Suhl-150 standard with a piece of PVC pipe duct taped to the stock for a cheek rest. Shot numerous turtle heads at 40-60 meters. Then smacked one off a log at 140 meters standing on my hind legs. I didn't have a zero for that distance so I slowly ranged it in. 16 minutes from a 40 meter zero. Who says shooting lead can't be accurate?

gpidaho
06-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I picked up a .308 NEF Survival rifle with a twenty five dollar Cabelas scope at a local pawn shop. This rifle is heavy barreled and has an awful thumbhole plastic stock. I think it might be uglier than my Polish 762x54R Carbine but shoots pretty good and is a good rifle to try out your tinkering around loads. GP

gpidaho
06-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Sorry, missed the 22 part. BUT THE GUNS STILL UGLY!

375RUGER
07-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Stevens 87A. Grandpa had me go into the attic a few years ago and told me where to find it. I'm guessing about 25-30 years before is when he put it there. It is near completly covered in rust. Stock is in OK but ugly conditon. He told me why he stashed it, it wouldn't feed reliably. I took it home and fixed the lifter and it functions just fine now. One day I should do a range trip to compare my best 22s side x side, I know this is one of the best 3 for sure.

Andyd
07-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Would be this old one.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/imagejpg1_zps22602021.jpg

Lance Boyle
07-06-2014, 09:10 AM
toss up,

Savage Stevens model 35, was my first gun and had many forays into the wilderness with Winchester hollow points. I fell and got a good dent in the side. Not knowing I probably could have ironed out the stock, I stripped the finish, sanded off the pressed in checkering which I didn't care for at the time. I refinished with some hardware store finish. It actually looks decent now. I shoot it quite well despite the lousy trigger and crappy safety with insufficient tension to prevent it falling in the safety on condition. It stands faithfully in the corner by the door for chicken coop guard duty.

The runner up is my grandfathers Winchester 1906. The stock is cracked at the wrist and it's been sanded hard at least once but probably twice, the forend is a touch loose and is missing one of the two screws that hold it to the slide bar. The metal is nickeled but shows a few rust pits on one side. I suspect it spent a fair amount of it's time in my grandfather's chicken coop back in the day.

trixter
07-08-2014, 10:55 AM
My grandpa gave me his Wards Western Field model 47C a long time ago. I haven't done anything to it since I got it, except shoot it. I used it this spring in the arsenal we took squeek hunting, and it came in handy, when the Marlin 60 jamed and jammed and jammed. It had the old swing away peep sight and it is very accurate, but my eyes are getting old and tired so I bought a side mount rail and a scope for it. While waiting for those to come I decided to clean it up. I took the action off the stock and 'HOLY MACREL'! What a mess. I really do not know how it could even function. Everything was gunk-ed up to the max, but with a lot of Hoppes #9 and a lot of brushing and a can of brake cleaner, and a light touch of oil, it is looking real nice, you know; ugly but nice. Due to the shortage of ammo I haven't shot it more than to get it sighted in with the optics. Still the tack driver I remember it to be, and really smooth action and the bolt doesn't feel like you need a hammer to get it closed. It's ready for next spring squeek hunting. photo later.