PDA

View Full Version : cleaning lead off the forcing cone...a joy

roberts1
06-07-2014, 07:05 PM
I recently picked up a very nice used vaquero in 44mag. I got it home and started a good cleaning on it. There was quite a bit of lead and crud (carbon?) built up on the forcing cone. I am a fan of the copper chore boy wrapped around a wire bore brush for getting lead out of the barrel but as you guys know the cone is a bit wider than the barrel so it is quite a bit less effective on the cone area. I wound up just wrapping some around the end of a wooden dowel and working at it from the sides through the frame. It was kind of a pain and took a while so I was wondering if there is an easier method that I am unaware of for cleaning this area up. My revolvers all seem to collect a little lead there over time and I always dread getting it off.

Airman Basic
06-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Lewis lead remover has an attachment for that. Little pricey but it works.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

gray wolf
06-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Take the cylinder out of the gun and put a short ( not rifle length ) 45 Cal brass brush into the forcing cone area.
Put the brush in threads first, then slide your cleaning rod down the bore and thread it onto the brush.
Get the brush started a little then while turning the brush clock wise wind enough chore boy onto the brush to fill the cone. Get it tight in the cone and twist the rod a few times, ( done ) then just back it out and save it for the next time.
You can also use 0000 Steel wool the same way, or use the 0000 steel wool as a base as to not use so much Chore boy.

GW

kungfustyle
06-07-2014, 08:36 PM
If you have some JP Bore paste or make your own w/ BonAmie and Johnson's paste wax mix the two together and it makes a great bore past. Also you can mix white vinegar w/ hydrogen peroxide 50/50. Plug up one end of the bbl and pore it down in, wait about one to two minutes and pour it out run a jag down the barrel. Don't get it on nickel or chrome or wipe it off right away. But it works. They also make these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-45-Frontier-Metal-Bore-Cleaner-Removes-Rust-w-o-Harming-Gun-Blueing-/111367966328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ee0c4e78 and they work very well.
Like Wolf said steel wool works.

buckwheatpaul
06-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Been using Lewis Lead Remover since 1974....excellent and worth the investment......

ReloaderFred
06-07-2014, 11:52 PM
The Lewis Lead Remover takes about 30 seconds to do the job, and that includes taking it out of the box. Super quick and super easy. I wouldn't be without them for all my revolvers.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

Mr Peabody
06-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Try using a nylon brush instead of wire brush with chore girl on it. If you push it in from the muzzle it will spring back a little when it comes out and the chore girl will scrub the forcing cone. Cheaper than the Lewis but a lot slower.

shooting on a shoestring
06-08-2014, 08:54 AM
I've used cream of wheat with reduced powder charges to clean up .357s and .45 Colts. If I specifically want to clean up a barrel or forcing cone, I load as much cream of wheat as is possible over a slow powder like 2400 with a light boolit and use some compression. The combination has worked well for me several times and is much more fun than brushing. I have two powder measures on my bench, one is for the cream of wheat. I'v also used grits.

roberts1
06-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Thank you gentlemen! The barrel has never given me issues just the forcing cones. I particularly like gray wolfs method. I already have those items on hand. I just needed a better method of getting the copper to the lead. Ill look into the lewis lead remover. Now I need to go lead up those forcing cones again so I can clean them off...

warboar_21
06-10-2014, 01:34 PM
If you have some JP Bore paste or make your own w/ BonAmie and Johnson's paste wax mix the two together and it makes a great bore past. Also you can mix white vinegar w/ hydrogen peroxide 50/50. Plug up one end of the bbl and pore it down in, wait about one to two minutes and pour it out run a jag down the barrel. Don't get it on nickel or chrome or wipe it off right away. But it works. They also make these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-45-Frontier-Metal-Bore-Cleaner-Removes-Rust-w-o-Harming-Gun-Blueing-/111367966328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ee0c4e78 and they work very well.
Like Wolf said steel wool works.

Do you have to use anything to neutralize the peroxide/vinegar mixture? Water with baking soda or anything of that nature?