PDA

View Full Version : Pro Melt Switch

Trapshooter
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi,

I picked up a used Pro-Melt pot last week. The power switch handle is broken, but I have moved the guts of what is left of the switch to the ON position, and the pot works fine. Plug and unplug to turn on or off. The pilot light goes on and off with the thermostat, and it makes boolits!:)

I sent RCBS Technical an Email inquiring about replacement parts and instructions to take the unit apart, but since it is an electrical device, with a UL sticker, I assume they are going to want it back to fix it. I can get the switch for about $4, which is a lot less than the shipping back and forth to California.

I started to take the enclosure apart by drilling some of the pop rivets, but there seems to be something else holding the lid on. Has anyone else dismembered a Pro Melt? What else is holding the enclosure together?

Thanks
Trapshooter

Dale53
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
As I recall, in addition to drilling out the rivets, you will need to carefully "spread" open the case. It has been several years since I had one apart. However, working on them, if you have the knowledge, IS practical. I had a friend, who's RCBS pot was not getting hot enough, and I showed him how to adjust the thermostat. It was necessary to take the outer housing off to do that. He has been one happy caster since then

Dale53

Trapshooter
01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks Dale,

After I drilled the rivets and the cover didn't slide off even with quite a bit of force, I got nervous. Didn't want to bust up the new toy. After the 10 pound Lee pot, this is "Livin' Large"!

Trapshooter

hammerhead357
01-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Trapshooter, if you drilled the rivets out, the front and back portions should slide down on the support rods. This should give you access to the rest of the inerds... Be careful but the switch is not rivetted in and should be easy to replace. Be sure to get the wiring correct or it will blow circut breakers. Don't ask me how I know>>>>>Wes

Trapshooter
01-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the Help!

I found one of the rivets wasn't completely drilled out. Once I resolved that, the lower cover slid down the support posts, just as advertised. One case (out of millions) where the bigger hammer would have worked!

Thanks again

Trapshooter