PDA

View Full Version : My melting pot has a little brother!

dikman
06-07-2014, 08:04 AM

Someone left an 8 lb out-of-date gas bottle at the 25 metre range at the club (very strange thing to do :confused:). I asked the secretary and he said I could have it, so I cut the top off, welded on some handles for stability and I now have a pot suitable for melting smallish amounts of lead/scrap. I use a small camping burner for this job, and have been using a saucepan with it, but I'm not happy about the stability of such a setup. The burner has three vertical support bars around it, so I notched the bottom of the support ring on the gas bottle pot and it now "locks" in place over the bars - can't accidentally slide off.

The worst part was removing the paint coating on the bottle (I'm assuming it's an epoxy paint of some sort, very tough stuff). In the end I fired up the forge and sat the bottle on the fire and burned it off, with the help of a wire brush!! Horrible stuff indeed!

JSnover
06-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Cool. I have a 20 lb bottle that is pretty near unserviceable. As soon as it runs out I plan to chop it up for the same purpose.