PDA

View Full Version : home made inletting brew

nekshot
06-06-2014, 01:04 PM
What works for you fellas other then lip stick vaseline mixture? I think my eyes are changing and I am getting tired of gooey smeary stuff. I am gonna try a candle this afternoon.

RustyReel
06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
I use the commercial inletting black. Not sure what brand/name as I'm not in my garage. Very small bottle that seems pricey at first, but it goes a LONG way and that stuff lasts a long time, not drying out while on the rifle. Also takes a good washing to get it off and off your hands. I tried the lipstick and the persian blue but eventually bit the bullet and purchased the real stuff.

robroy
06-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Jerrow's inletting black

Ben
06-06-2014, 04:42 PM
I went to a paint store and bought a tube of bright YELLOW paint pigment.

Spread some of this on a metal aluminum pie pan, squirt a bit of WD-40 on it, stir the two up, take a 1/4" wide artist brush and put a thin coat of it on your barreled action.
Lightly tap the barreled action into your stock, every where you see yellow, start removing wood.

It is VERY easy to see .

Ben

waksupi
06-06-2014, 08:30 PM
I use old motor oil, and a brush.

oldred
06-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I have "made for the purpose" inletting black and I do use it occasionally depending on the situation but mostly I just use a large Sharpie felt tip marker, I "paint" the metal and after the ink drys in a few seconds the the wood is fitted. Any transfer is only where the wood actually fits snugly against the metal and the transfer is bone dry with no ink at all soaking into the wood, it's MUCH less messy than than the inletting black and at least for me it works better. I discovered it accidentally after I mis-placed my small (and expen&ive!) bottle of inletting black but after trying the Sharpie (the big "magnum" version) I find that the inletting black is not nearly as useful anymore!

nekshot
06-06-2014, 09:31 PM
interesting options y'all have! The candle deal was no good as action is epoxy painted, tried a mixture of clay and some oils and gave up on that, went back to my oil grease mixture for now. Gonna get some of that paint tint Ben is using, I'll call it Ben's Yellow!

largom
06-06-2014, 10:10 PM
I use Desenex [spelling?] spray foot powder. Not messy, wipes off with a cloth.

Larry

FrankG
06-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Felt marker scribbled on the metal and tapped into mortice . Works pretty good on lighter colored walnut or maple.

pdawg_shooter
06-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I use a yellow non drying paint that is intended for setting the ware pattern on a ring gear and pinion in a third member.