PDA

View Full Version : Holster Belt Recommendation

JosephG
06-06-2014, 11:01 AM
I am addressing these questions to those that carry a revolver for hunting, either exclusively for hunting or as a backup for their rifle: I would like to start carrying my Ruger NMBH .44 Special Bisley while deer hunting. At this point I am leaning towards a crossdraw holster. But, do I specify this holster to fit my 1.5" belt (made by Kirkpatrick) that holds up my pants and that I use to strap on my concealed weapon holsters? Or...do I use a separate wider belt and to carry my revolver? Also, what are your thoughts on button straps versus hammer tongs for this type of carry. I appreciate any advive y'all may have to offer. Thanks in advance.

Joe

flyingmonkey35
06-06-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't hunt.

But I can see your issue.

The handgun should be free from obstruction. With easy access.

I might go for a drop down thigh holster.

My two cents

376Steyr
06-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Will your hunting ever involve going prone or crawling on your belly like a snake? The grips on your Bisley would appreciate it if you used a strong side, behind the hip holster. As for strap versus thongs, either one beats nothing. I vote for strap for being easier to use with cold fingers.

Rick Hodges
06-06-2014, 11:39 AM
If you ever plan on slinging your rifle....think cross draw. I favor a half or full flap holster, and try not to belly crawl if I can help it. A lot depends on your intended use and style of hunting. If the flap is out of the question I would go with a strap, I don't trust hammer thongs. The wider the belt the more comfortable the carry, although I use an inch and a half as a nice compromise.

JosephG
06-06-2014, 12:54 PM
My style of hunting: Primarily still hunting (slow moving) and some ground level stand hunting (standing and/or sitting...sometimes napping). I really try not to crawl around nor do I find myself shooting from a prone position. I hunt in the forest lands of the midwest.

Love Life
06-06-2014, 01:08 PM
A good strong side holster fits the bill.

I have hiked all over the Sierra Nevada and Pine Nut mountains over the last several years, and I have never been at a disadvantage carrying a good, low rise, strong side holster.

Didn't matter whether I was carrying a pack, carrying a rifle, carrying both, sitting down eating a sandwich, taking a nap under a pinion, and hours upon hours in the prone shooting.

My holster is on my belt to where the barrel is in line with the front pocket. Smooth draw from the standing, sitting, and prone. maybe familiarity gives me that.

I don't like anything on my belly or chest. That's an old habit that will never go away.

Thumb strap or retaining strap would be personal preference. If the holster is well made and fits the gun right then I find it a bit unnecessay. I hike a Commander in an open Mernickle Holster and have never had it fall out even though I climb alot of stuff. I have carried my model 28 in an open top Tagua holster and it has never fallen out even though I have slid down hills, fallen off of rock walls, and even took a rather long and uncontrolled tumble down the Walker River during the run off of summer 2011.

huntrick64
06-06-2014, 04:02 PM
I hunt with my 7 1/2 Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Primarily spotting and stalking. I started off with a strong side belt rig and noticed pros and cons really quick:

Cons:
1. Would catch on the fence while crossing.
2. Was too long when I sat on the ground.
3. I actually made quite a bit of movement drawing that "long" revolver out of the belt rig while standing.
4. Drawing it while setting butt on the ground was almost impossible.
5. I had to keep adjusting my pants/belt on long walks
6. It felt "heavy" after a few hours.

Pros:
1. It looks cool, especially with all of those rounds stuffed in the cartridge loops.

So, I went to an older Bianchi shoulder holster that I wear cross draw under my left arm. That thing has been the best for me and they type of hunting I do. It rides enough under my arm that it doesn't interfere with my binoculars on my chest. I just use the "pinch your finger strong" spring to hold the gun and don't bother with the strap. I spray the inside and out of the holster with spray silicone and it is quiet and draws smooth.

Try it,

Rick

rintinglen
06-06-2014, 05:42 PM
For myself, I prefer a cross-draw for long barreled revolvers: for 5 inch or shorter barrels, I like strong side. In any case, I want a thumb break holster, if available. The holster with the strap is for a 7 1/2 inch SBH, and is a cross draw. The others are strong side, save for the one on the right on the belt. Belts should be wider, if the gum is to be carried for any considerable period. I prefer a 1 3/4 inch belt for most purposes, but a separate 2 1/4" gun belt is a blessing at the tag end of a long hunt.

45coltnut
06-07-2014, 09:01 AM
I prefer a cross draw. Last year I carried both my 45C bisley 5.5" and my SBH 44 10.5" in a cross draw. The cross draw is good if you are sitting in a tree stand as it doesn't get in the way as much. I would always use my carry belt for any heavy gun whether carrying for self defense or hunting. They just carry so much better to me.

But, I recently bought a 8-3/8" S&W 629 to hunt with this year. So, I bought a Desantis black mamba chest rig. It's actually more like a modified chest and shoulder holster. It holds it lower than a chest rig but not down to low and around. It also has a belt loop to help secure it even more. It also had a retention screw and a hammer strap. I think this will be the perfect holster for hunting!

My only issue is its not leather!! I love wood and leather (call me an old fogy). But, the black mamba works great.

Love Life
06-07-2014, 10:13 AM
I like the looks of the Doc Holiday set up from EL Paso Saddlery.

scattershot
06-07-2014, 10:36 AM
I like a strong side holster, open top, with a safety strap. The hammer thong is not very secure, IMO, and is in the way when it's not on the hammer. The strap can be tucked back out of the way.

Your belt sounds fine to me. You don't need ammo loops, either.

doc1876
06-07-2014, 09:02 PM
cross draw flap holster is the only way to go on a second belt case you have to do something out in the woods where you need to drop your drawers.

Outpost75
06-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I carry my 5-1/2" Ruger SBH .44 Magnum in an El Paso Saddlery C-Force holster, which is a strong side IWB with reinforced opening, which permits one-hand reholstering. The gun is protected from the weather and is comfortable when seated in the truck, on horseback or ATV. While there is no retention strap, the gun is molded to the holster and is secure. This is the only model of holster I use and I have several for each gun I might carry for hunting or concealed EDC. It is well suited for full sized revolvers or automatics, as well as for compacts.

Bagdadjoe
06-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Just mind your shoulder-slung rifle's butt doesn't rub against your holstered revolver's hammer spur in an open top holster. I was lucky enough to be able rub out the marks on an 1885 Browning 45-70 that got there because of not paying attention to the proximity of the two.

Grizzly Adams
06-07-2014, 11:11 PM
I prefer a wide separate belt with a thumb break cross draw. A strap and snap will do, but I have never cared for tongs, they are quiet, but not to secure IMHO, I will give up a "little" noise for security. YMMV

c1skout
06-08-2014, 01:45 AM
I always have on a daypack when hunting, so my holster gets threaded onto that. I like a holster that holds the gun straight up so I can go strong side or crossdraw, if I'm carrying the revolver for a backup I go crossdraw, but wear strongside when I'm not carrying a long gun. I use full flap, thumbreak, and strap type holsters depending on which gun I take.

MtGun44
06-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Crossdraw to keep your slung rifle from banging the heck out of it! Also works
really well on a horse.

Bill

W.R.Buchanan
06-09-2014, 03:19 PM
I got this Mernickle Holster for my SBH and SH Bisley .44's. It is an FC3 which I just found out he won't make anymore. He has several that are similar but his new FC3 is a hard crossdraw only. I wanted one for my new S&W 696 but had to get a FC13 instead so I could get the thumb break for retention.

Here's pics showing my Bisleys and the holster, and both fit in it equally well, and here is the one I got for the S&W 696 http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fc/fc_imgs/fc13vr1.jpg

Randy