PDA

View Full Version : RCBS tumbler additive????

Willyp
06-06-2014, 10:36 AM
RCBS has a dry powder to add to your tumbler,to polish brass,what is it????

AggieEE
06-06-2014, 10:55 AM
I don't know about RCBS but if you can find some DuPont #7 auto polish it works great. It is tripoli polishing compound in a VOC solvent. I think the VOC's is what killed it. I can't find it anymore here in Texas. However, Turtle Wax has a polishing compound that uses a water based solvent and it works very well, you just have to run it with the lid off for a while to get the stuff to mix in, it's thick, and dry out some. I hope this helps.

captain-03
06-06-2014, 11:03 AM
A cap full of this does wonders when using walnut or corncob

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Nu-Finish-Liquid-Car-Polish/0000000088301?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CIS2ku7B5b4CFetlOgodehAAdA

Can be found almost anywhere where auto cleaning stuff can be found ... Walmart and most Dollar Stores

reed1911
06-06-2014, 11:37 AM
It is referred to Rouge. (French for Red) you can buy it as powder suspended in an oil base, pressed blocks, or media with it already added. It is a fine clay polish. Red is used for brass. Harbor freight and other discount tool stores carry it for next to nothing, I use the blocks since I have it in all the various grit types on hand. Figure about $2.00ea and will last you the rest of your days. Just take a knife or piece of steel and scrape it off into the tumbler with the media in it and let it run, it will mix in. If you buy it as a suspension just add a cap full and go.

dragon813gt
06-06-2014, 11:45 AM
RCBS has a dry powder to add to your tumbler,to polish brass,what is it????

Ask RCBS for the MSDS. They might already be referring to them as SDS. This will tell you what it is. W/out even looking I can tell you it's over priced for what it is.

dbosman
06-06-2014, 04:40 PM
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/MSDS/RCBSLiquidMedia.pdf

Fatty Amide..........seems to be a lubricant
Gluconic Acid........An organic acid derived from celulose
Diethanolamine.....is a wetting agent.

I use and recommend NuFinish and clear mineral spirits.
If you need to tumble in the house or apartment omit the mineral spirits.

nhrifle
06-06-2014, 09:56 PM
I tried the RCBS stuff and it left my brass covered with dust and just plain nasty. I threw away that batch of tumbling media, replaced with fresh, and retumbled the brass. Not going back there again.

lbaize3
06-07-2014, 12:06 PM
I second the NuFinish, cut with mineral spirits. Been using it for several years now. Brass is beautiful!

9w1911
06-08-2014, 12:49 AM
I second the NuFinish, cut with mineral spirits. Been using it for several years now. Brass is beautiful! 3rd! works awesome!

I used the red Lyman stuff once and it caked everything, i am sure it was user error