PDA

View Full Version : is this worth much?

mozeppa
06-05-2014, 09:35 PM
went to move a customers pool table today to storage.

got to talkin' about shooting & guns & re-loading and whatnot....

he got this look on his face like "oh yeah, that reminds me....!"
he says: "i got a bunch of bullets i'd like to be rid of!"

me : ".....ummm okay!

he hauls out this small stash of bullets and says: "these are yours!"

in there was some mags for 45 acp 1911 pistol.
he says: "i'll want to keep those as i still have that gun." ....i said: "that's cool!"

then he says: "you want the 45 ?"

i said: "not for free!....i gotta give you something for this stuff"

he said: "wait here"

comes back with this original 1911 (last patent date 1913)

i traded him the entire job for all you see here!
my 2 hours of work ....valued at $175.00 for 45 acp and 1600 rounds of ammo!

the wildcat 22's still have the walmart $1.69 lable on every box! :lol:

i'm gonna clean it ....shoot it then clean it and take it to a gun smith to have it gone thru to fix any and all that is needed.
(or should i?)
should i have it re-blued?...there are verrrry few scratches on it.
the "bluing" looks more brown than blue.

and the grips ARE bone AND quite old.

just took it down and cleaned it.

the bore looks like either there was NOT a well pronounced set of lands and grooves...or the bore has been shot smooth (almost...can still see it,but very slight.)

however the rest of the gun doesn't show much wear to have a shot out barrel in it. hmm:

it cycles nice and tight. hmm:

serial number = 9907? fill in the ? with whatever you want.
checked colts serial number site...says made approx 1914

http://www.colt.com/CustomerServices/SerialNumberLookup.aspx

what do i do with it?
whats it worth?107196107197107198107199

Joe504
06-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Go buy a lottery ticket

Sweetpea
06-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Well, if you can't find anything better to do with it, my birthday is coming up...

Nice snag!

I'd probably leave the finish alone, but get a new barrel if needed. Keep the old one, in case you ever need to sell the gun.

c1skout
06-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Quite a bargain! I think I hate you.:smile:

Gunslinger1911
06-05-2014, 09:55 PM
I would guess the grips, if really bone and old, are worth the price on their own.

You sir, are a thief, and should send me the 1911 as atonement (you can keep the ammo). LOL

NICE, snag ! Don't change a thing ! (as said, new barrel if it shoots badly, ok)

littlejack
06-05-2014, 09:55 PM
You GOT to be kidding.
I do not believe in luck.
Sir, you were very blessed.

Love Life
06-05-2014, 10:00 PM
I'll give you $600 for the gun sight unseen.

WallyM3
06-05-2014, 10:04 PM
I can't see for the tears.

Love Life
06-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Threads like this make me think angry thoughts...because these situations never happen to me!

Seriously, you got over $1,000 worth of stuff for a $175.00 job.

My offer is serious.

Stonecrusher
06-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Great deal! Seems like I usually wind up getting $175 worth of stuff for $1000.

WallyM3
06-05-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm usually the other guy.

RobS
06-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Great deal! Seems like I usually wind up getting $175 worth of stuff for $1000.

So funny............................these things are like fairy tales or something. Good deal, no as already been said GREAT DEAL.

tazman
06-05-2014, 10:27 PM
I would not change a thing on that old beauty. Especially if it shoots decent. I might consider putting in a new barrel if it doesn't shoot but not sure about that even.

gandydancer
06-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Keep it as is. Barrel? maybe. "government property" worth some good $Bucks$ If you decide to sell it put it on Gunbroker and watch the numbers roll. Good Luck. GD

Frank46
06-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Don't have it refinished whatsoever. you'll turn a 1000$$ easy pistol into a $500 one in an instant. With the anniversary of WW1 would bring some decent bucks as is. Frank

lefty o
06-06-2014, 12:44 AM
do not refinish that pistol! refinishing it will kill its value. i'd chuck the grips in the circular file, but thats just me.

Bzcraig
06-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Holy cow! I'm feeling anger, jealousy, envy.......and I haven't gotten past the ammo yet!

kweidner
06-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Very nice sir. Might look it up in the blue-book. Might be suprised just how much that thing is worth.

Cornbread
06-06-2014, 07:09 AM
You need to go out and buy me a lottery ticket, breath on it or something and send it to me in the mail because you have to be one of the luckiest people on earth. The gun alone is worth 5x what the job was worth without the ammo. PM me for my address so I can tell you where to send me the lottery ticket.

trapper9260
06-06-2014, 07:12 AM
If you do not know what to do with it ,I might be able to help you with that also.

GhostHawk
06-06-2014, 07:48 AM
"What do I do with it"

Count your lucky starz and ENJOY it.

imashooter2
06-06-2014, 08:04 AM
LOL! The grips are worth the $175.

Be careful with it. It doesn't have a heat treated slide and if it cracks, you have a parts gun. I'd replace the recoil spring before shooting it lightly with powder puff loads if it was mine.

Congratulations on a really great deal and a terrific pistol.

Guesser
06-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Please take this over to coltforum and have them inform you. Great people over there.

bob208
06-06-2014, 10:10 AM
it looks like a pre ww1 colt. the rampant colt is behind the serrations on the slide. some time during the war it was moved to in front of the serrations. do you have the 2 tone mag with it with the lanyard loop in the bottom ? if so that alone is worth what you gave for it.

NO do not refinish it . that would take an honest gun and ruin it. do not even touch it up with cold blue. do find some nice original grips for it.

TenTea
06-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Very sweet!

Those grips are great.
If you feel the need to raise some money for original walnut double diamonds, pm me and I'd be happy to work a deal.

As others said:

Keep the original finish.

Find some vintage grips.

Get a Wolff spring kit with a 16# recoil spring.

69141 COLT 1911 .45, SERVICE PAK TYPE-I 17.99

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV%27T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#819

Make up some nice mild handloads and try out all those mags you got with it.

It's a beauty and hope you enjoy it thoroughly! :smile:

Hardcast416taylor
06-06-2014, 10:58 AM
What about the black holster? Any dates either stamped or written on it anywhere. With .22`s going for $40 - $60 a brick, you made a few bucks with them alone.Robert

John Allen
06-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Holy Cow, I would be looking like my lab with slober hanging down both sides of my face as the guy was telling me this.

Scharfschuetze
06-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Nice find!

Go through all the magazines and look for one with two tones. Blued lower and silverish from the feed lips down about an inch and possibly with a lanyard loop on it's base. That would be an original magazine for a Government Model of your vintage.

As recommended above, I'd keep the original barrel and I wouldn't refinish it. It, even with the post military grip panels, is worth much more as it is than if refinished. It's easy enough to fit up a new barrel for shooting, but I'd keep the loads below max in deference to its age. I'd also use a new main spring for shooting and keep the original op rod spring with the original barrel for its collector status. When you shoot it, wear a set of shooting gloves on your shooting hand as that short tang on the grip safety will let the hammer spur really chew up the web of your hand.

Original grips, if you can find a set, should be checkered walnut with large diamonds around the screw holes or bolsters.

Here's what the original grips look like on a US 1911 circa 1918.

lefty o
06-06-2014, 11:54 AM
agree with the others, a new mainspring, and new recoil spring along with a new standard power firing pin spring are almost certainly needed.

tygar
06-06-2014, 09:28 PM
It is almost NEVER a good idea to refinish or modify a collectible!!!!

Unless it's a junker & needs complete rework, don't touch it. I would also try to find a correct pair of grips for it.

Once you do that, sell it to me cheap!

mozeppa
06-06-2014, 10:11 PM
It is almost NEVER a good idea to refinish or modify a collectible!!!!

Unless it's a junker & needs complete rework, don't touch it. I would also try to find a correct pair of grips for it.

Once you do that, sell it to me cheap!

$3500 and its yours as is.:bigsmyl2:

Joni Lynn
06-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Very nice. I'd advise to keep it as original with no permanent alterations should you decide to use it or change anything. Don't do anything with the finish expect keep it safe from rusting.
Congrats on this one.

nola jack
06-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Very nice!

wv109323
06-06-2014, 11:03 PM
The serial number of 99000 is a 1917 manufacture date. The mags are not original. The original mags are "two tone". The original mags would not blue on about the top 1/3 due to the heat treat process. The rest of the pistol(except the grips) "looks right" for a 1911.. It has the long smooth trigger. the short grip safety(which caused trigger bite), the wide hammer, sights should have a "U" notch on the rear sight and an arched front sight,straight grip safety with lanyard loop.
The barrel is probably eroded due to corrosive ammo. ( ammo from 1911 to about 1952).
The finish should be "the colt royal blue" with a very highly polished.
The grips should be the double diamond walnut.
The firearm needs a professional appraisal to determine value. The market for these is crazy right now. Value could be $1500 to $2800 bucks.
I would ask the guy if he knew the history. My guess is that it was used in WW1 and someone brought it home. Many of the 1911's got a phosphorus finish when they were rebuilt for WW2. The original finish and the worn out barrel suggest it was not "in the Army" for a large part of its life.
Every mark on the pistol means something. Examine the holster also. They can be valuable. It should have a date on it. I think the WW1 holster were natural brown leather and not black.

DrCaveman
06-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Nice gun.

Sell/auction it as-is to a collector richer than you. Hand an envelope to the guy that gave it to you containing no less than $500 cash. Say thanks. Use the remaining money to buy the next gun on your wish list. Win-win

Grizzly Adams
06-07-2014, 02:04 AM
:x[smilie=b:;)
Quite a bargain! I think I hate you.:smile:

Grizzly Adams
06-07-2014, 04:35 AM
Finally got my tapa talk working. So now I know how it feels to be envious of and despise someone at the same time. Keeps us all hoping that some day our gun fairy will appear.

mozeppa
06-07-2014, 10:03 AM
don't be haters[smilie=s:

lbaize3
06-07-2014, 12:34 PM
While I was working at a local gun shop, I saw several 1911 pistols sell for substantial amount of money. I would not do anything with the pistol or holster until you have it checked by a knowledgeable and trusted collector.

Love Life
06-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Too bad the previous owner had no idea (or the motivation to find out) what he had. He threw away a lot of money for a cheap job.

I guess that's one of the benefits of a the nation getting less intelligent with each new generation. You will see these kinds of opportunities where mouth breathers will give away heirloom quality stuff.

Bagdadjoe
06-07-2014, 03:35 PM
1911's don't have that much "pronounced lands and grooves" to start with. Nothing like a Ruger revolver, for instance. Considering how good the rest of the gun is, the barrel is probably ok. I had one in not that good of shape that was very accurate and the barrel even had a little pitting in it. As some have already suggested...change nothing.

Tom_in_AZ
06-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Go buy a lottery ticket

Exactly! Wish I could get such a good trade. Awesome!

ghh3rd
06-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Does he need anything else done!?

MBTcustom
06-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Too bad the previous owner had no idea (or the motivation to find out) what he had. He threw away a lot of money for a cheap job.

I guess that's one of the benefits of a the nation getting less intelligent with each new generation. You will see these kinds of opportunities where mouth breathers will give away heirloom quality stuff.

Not necessarily.
I've been extremely blessed in that people have seen the passion I have for this stuff and have no one of their own to pass these things to who would appreciate them, and sometimes they just want to give them to anybody that won't take these special things to a pawn shop.
I have been given a High Standard GB pistol and a Stevens Favorite by a member here. I have been given my bluing tanks free of charge. I have been given an old Quackenbush single shot nickle plated 22 rifle by Ken Caldwell (the previous owner of this site).
Things like this are very special. They were not given because the owners had no idea what they were worth. They knew exactly what these things were worth and they knew that I would/could appreciate them better than anyone else.
I have no doubt the guy that gave this amazing pistol to the OP was no different.
Come to think of it, there was a guy here on this forum that sold me the Sako AV rifle I have wanted and could never afford for next to nothing and the promise of an excellent rifle build in return. He either didn't have a clue what it was worth, or was just a kind person eh? (thanks again LL. It's still one of my most prized possessions)

SO, what do you do with it? Preserve it. Enjoy it, and never sell it or give it away. You can't buy a story like the one that came with that gun.
Congratulations.

Love Life
06-08-2014, 10:26 PM
All I ever get is junk mail and greenbacks. Maybe I need to start advertising that I'll work for firearms?

DrCaveman
06-09-2014, 12:52 AM
Not necessarily.
I've been extremely blessed in that people have seen the passion I have for this stuff and have no one of their own to pass these things to who would appreciate them, and sometimes they just want to give them to anybody that won't take these special things to a pawn shop.
I have been given a High Standard GB pistol and a Stevens Favorite by a member here. I have been given my bluing tanks free of charge. I have been given an old Quackenbush single shot nickle plated 22 rifle by Ken Caldwell (the previous owner of this site).
Things like this are very special. They were not given because the owners had no idea what they were worth. They knew exactly what these things were worth and they knew that I would/could appreciate them better than anyone else.
I have no doubt the guy that gave this amazing pistol to the OP was no different.
Come to think of it, there was a guy here on this forum that sold me the Sako AV rifle I have wanted and could never afford for next to nothing and the promise of an excellent rifle build in return. He either didn't have a clue what it was worth, or was just a kind person eh? (thanks again LL. It's still one of my most prized possessions)

SO, what do you do with it? Preserve it. Enjoy it, and never sell it or give it away. You can't buy a story like the one that came with that gun.
Congratulations.

Goodsteel
Well said. I retract my previous suggestion in favor of yours.

Imagine the bliss experienced by the next lucky recipient of such a gem, 40 years from now. Then, the one after that. On and on. Memories and true lore cannot be bought or sold

I may not be of religious leanings, but i know good when i see it. Continue the good life brother

MtGun44
06-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Wow, not even an "A1" - I echo the DON"T refinish it ever call. Guns like that NEED to be
all original.

Good day for sure.

Bill