PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about reloading. A few questions.

tchand
06-05-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm relatively new to guns, but just got a british 303 rifle. Im used to shooting my Mauser and Mosin-nagants at about 25c a round and dont want to pay $1+ for ammo. I received about 150 rounds of mixed berdan primed surplus 303 with the gun, of which i shot a hundred rounds in two range sessions. I was looking into getting into reloading and wondered if there is any, clean (non-hydraulic method), economical (not the $80 rcbs tool) way to deprime these? and is there any priming tool that will work straight out of the box for berdan primers, or will I have to modify one? I was looking at getting a lee turret press. Will this work for these primers without too much modification? Thanks for the answers.

Wayne Smith
06-05-2014, 04:21 PM
First of all, welcome to the madness! You have several problems - one is decapping the current primers, as you have posted. There are two methods, one hydraulic and the other uses a pin of some kind to penetrate the primer and hopefully not interfere with the rather fragile anvil in the middle of the case.

Your other problem is finding the right primers. The only place I know of who sometimes has them is DAG Ammo in Fredricksburg, VA. They are the importers of Wolf and Tula primers and sometimes bring in Berdan primers as well. I have not checked their website lately to see if any are available because I like regular availability of primers.

My recommendation is to save yourself some pain and insecurity and buy Boxer primed brass. If you do a search for British 303 or some such here you will find several posts explaining how to set up your reloading dies to headspace on the shoulder instead of the rim and you won't stretch your brass nearly as much as if you don't do this.

Yes, the Lee dies and the Lee hand primer seater are adequate to insert both kinds of primers. No modification of the press or primer seater is necessary.

Bullshop Junior
06-05-2014, 04:23 PM
I would find a couple boxes of the privi boxer primed ammo. That is good brass and will last a good while.

Bullwolf
06-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Using RCBS's hook style de-capping tool to remove Berdan primers won't get you all wet like the hydraulic method can, but as you noticed it is somewhat expensive.

You could try to fabricate something along the same lines as the RCBS tool.
http://davecushman.net/gif/rcbsberdan2.gif
Our own Larry Gibson has a very informative sticky thread about Converting Berdan Primer pockets to Boxer primers. It might be a good read for you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?143958-Converting-Berdan-primer-pockets-to-Boxer

In post #156 in the long berdan conversion thread, FreeBullet came up with a really neat offset Berdan decapper punch.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?143958-Converting-Berdan-primer-pockets-to-Boxer&p=2455475&viewfull=1#post2455475

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=86034&d=1383273863&thumb=1

You could go that route as well as long as you are able to locate a reliable source for Berdan primers. If not drilling and converting cases to boxer primers is also a viable method. Again be sure to check out the thread as it shows much of what others have performed successfully, and will give you an idea of just what you are getting into.

Midway typically stocks the RCBS tool for around 60 bucks. They show in stock now.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/245983/rcbs-berdan-decapping-tool
Or try to fashion some sort of offset punch on your own to do things on the cheap.

As the others have said, Berdan primer sizes are different than standard boxer primers, and range all over in size and availability. They are a serious hassle to work with.

I would recommend getting some standard boxer primed brass instead to reload and learn on. It will save you a lot of headache, unless you specifically want to learn how to reload Berdan primed cases for a particular reason. Boxer primed brass is a much easier way to get started out reloading.

- Bullwolf

Mk42gunner
06-06-2014, 01:18 AM
Hi and welcome aboard.

My first recommendation is for you to buy a good reloading manual since they pretty much all show all the steps involved in excruciating detail.

Second (and subsequent) recommendation is to buy some boxer primed brass, either as new brass or factory loaded rounds. Decapping Boxer primed brass is just so much simpler with its single centered flash hole.

Look up neck sizing since it seems a majority of British Enfields have a very large chamber.

Decide if you are going to use cast or jacketed bullets, there are differing techniques for developing accurate loads for each type.

Good Luck,

Robert

Petrol & Powder
06-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Welcome aboard !

I'll chime in with the recommendation to obtain boxer primed casings. Berdan priming can be accomplished but it's just not worth it IMHO.
I'll also echo Mk42gunner's advice.
Good Luck.

HeavyMetal
06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
First welcome this is the place to get good reloading advise, not load data, for a begginer.

The 303 Brit is a pain to work with but can be fun if you realize what your in for.

I did not see a location in your avatar area so not sure if you live some place where berdan primers are easier to get than Std.

If your CONUS then dump the Berdan concept, to much work to do, to find, and to keep up. Add into that the 303's penchant for eating case's ( sloppy headspace) and you suddenly find your self wondering what your thinking, LOL!

Spend a little cash and buy regular primed case's for that 303 and then do a search for 303 loading info, I think Ken Waters did a piece in his Pet Loads book. If he did seek it out! he will have covered every problem you'll run into with the 303 and how to fix it.

I'm sure I am echoing many of the same statement, Berdan is just not worth the effort.

atr
06-06-2014, 10:04 AM
dump the berden brass and get some boxer brass....the berden brass is nothing but a hassle
atr

brody
06-09-2014, 04:46 PM
If you have a drill press and time it won't cost you anything to decap berdan primers. The limiting factor is getting the correct size berdan primers. I decapped 500 swiss 7.5x55 in about 2 hours. If you want the details let me know and I'll look around the shop for my tool.
Jim

EDG
06-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Most 303 berdan cases are primed with a .250 primer that is simply not available in most parts of the planet.

Buy some Prvi Partizan brass. It has a larger head and the shoulder is more properly located.
Win, Federal and Remington brass is not very well suited for reloading.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-13-2014, 09:58 PM
As pretty much universally recommended so far the Berdan priming is the more difficult way to go. Of course it can be done, but you need the right decapper and of course the primers. Its more of a hassle than its worth. The most practical way is to obtain boxer primed brass for your 303 and reloading for it will be a lot simpler and quicker. Forget about the hydraulic method; its mega-messy. I once tried/had to do it with 43 Spanish for an old rolling block. Had to clean the walls, everything around and me in the shower. Do some research reading on loading for the 303 Brit as there is sometimes an issue with case stretching leading to shorter case life. I do recall an article in "The Art of Bullet Casting" written by Jim Carmichael who was a

Le Loup Solitaire
06-13-2014, 10:02 PM
As pretty much universally recommended so far the Berdan priming is the more difficult way to go. Of course it can be done, but you need the right decapper and of course the primers. Its more of a hassle than its worth. The most practical way is to obtain boxer primed brass for your 303 and reloading for it will be a lot simpler and quicker. Forget about the hydraulic method; its mega-messy. I once tried/had to do it with 43 Spanish for an old rolling block. Had to clean the walls, everything around and me in the shower. Do some research reading on loading for the 303 Brit as there is sometimes an issue with case stretching leading to shorter case life. I do recall an article in "The Art of Bullet Casting" written by Jim Carmichael who was a well known gun writer; he addressed that issue as well as the use of cast bullets in that caliber/rifle. Good shooting. LLS