PDA

View Full Version : media

lunicy
01-14-2008, 10:19 PM
I bought another tumbler at the flea market today. It already had media in it. It worked better than anything I've ever used. It looks kinda like kitty litter, very small granules, about the size of walnut media, but grey. It has little green granules in it too.

Failing that, what is the best way to get your cases super shiny in the tumbler.

mtgrs737
01-14-2008, 11:20 PM
I use corn cobb media and a polish like the stuff Midway sells, I have heard of people using Flitz metal polish in the corn cobb, but it is expensive. The bullet manufacturers use corn cobb for the final polish on their bullets.

mtnman31
01-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Grey with green granules? Sounds like cat litter... Does it have any larger brown granules in it?

colbyjack
01-15-2008, 02:56 AM
lizzard litter from the pet store, just coarser walnut. thats my guess -chris

Rick N Bama
01-15-2008, 06:15 AM
I use Lyman Tuf-Nut for cleaning, then if I want the cases to really shine, I tumble them in corn cob media with about a tablespoon of Dillon case polish added. Works for me.

Rick

imashooter2
01-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Gray with green sounds like plastic blast media for removing paint. I use 12/20 screen walnut blast media in my tumbler.

bobthewelder
01-15-2008, 08:35 AM
I use either Lyman Tuffnut or Cabela's ceramic/prcelain with great results. The ceramic needs liquid and brightner which needs to be rinsed but the cases look like new after, unless you leave them in too long and don't clean the media, then you get mud! But used correctly it has the highes luster and lasts forever. And you don't have to sit down and pick the walnut out of the flash holes like you do with Tuffnut.

EMC45
01-15-2008, 10:54 AM
My tuffnut leaves big chunks of Rouge on the cases. I have since switched to corn cob.

frank505
01-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Try bird cage corn cob. Much bigger chunks that don't stick in the flash hole, if you are cleaning 22 centerfire it will stick inside the case. It does work very well used by itself. I quit using any kind of abrasive in my case cleaning, plane old corn cob gets em shiney.

Limey
01-15-2008, 11:40 AM
....anybody tried using rice?

It's real cheap to buy at the supermarket and I reckon it'd work fine.....

Safe shooting and good cleaning

Limey

joejr
01-15-2008, 06:39 PM
i'm using barley right now it works better than anything else i've tried so far

jcwit
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Ive used corn cob with a capful of Nu-Finish for years. The Nu-Finish leaves a coating on the brass which prevents corrosion.

shotstring
01-16-2008, 02:28 AM
I just use either walnut shells or corn cob without any additives to get the brass good and clean and to remove staining. Most of the additives I have tried just added expense and didn't work all that well. What I do to shine up the brass is to use a rotary tumbler with torn newpaper to tumble the loaded rounds for about 10 minutes after loading. The small amount of bullet lube left on the boolet head combined with the torn newspaper leaves the loaded rounds looking better than factory stuff.

dakotashooter2
01-18-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm experimenting with a mixture of corn cob and walnut right now but have only run one batch so I can't comment yet.

13Echo
01-18-2008, 09:50 PM
I use walnut - start the tumbler and add about 3 or 4 capsfull of mineral spirits and, if the brass is really foul, 2 or 3 tablespoons of Bon Ami powder. The brass is clean and looking pretty good after an hour and really nice after 2 or 3. Works even with my black powder cases (45-70, 45-90, and 50-70). The results are good enough that I haven't even been tempted to try ceramic media.

Jerry Liles

bobthewelder
01-19-2008, 04:47 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Barley can't be wasted on polishing! Barley is stricly for brewing! There should be a law preventing such a tragesty! Someone else mentioned rice? Do you Bud drinker realize that your so called beer is 30% rice? Busch- 30% corn. Facts, not BOB-fiction. Read the lables, cereal grains. If you like it great, but it has to be 100% barley for me. Rice gives me a headache and corn giveth me the Hershey squirts. Combine fermented corn with spicey pork rhinds and you have a very unpleasant day of flaming-hole.

i'm using barley right now it works better than anything else i've tried so far

rugerman1
01-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Rice gives me a headache and corn giveth me the Hershey squirts. Combine fermented corn with spicey pork rhinds and you have a very unpleasant day of flaming-hole.

If ever there were a TMI post,I'd say this is it! :mrgreen:

bandit7.5
01-19-2008, 09:33 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Barley can't be wasted on polishing! Barley is stricly for brewing! There should be a law preventing such a tragesty! Someone else mentioned rice? Do you Bud drinker realize that your so called beer is 30% rice? Busch- 30% corn. Facts, not BOB-fiction. Read the lables, cereal grains. If you like it great, but it has to be 100% barley for me. Rice gives me a headache and corn giveth me the Hershey squirts. Combine fermented corn with spicey pork rhinds and you have a very unpleasant day of flaming-hole.

I am just about speachless, no more spicey pork rinds.

HollandNut
01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I use rice from time to time , it werks , but seems to take a bit longer ..

38 Super Auto
01-19-2008, 08:35 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Barley can't be wasted on polishing! Barley is stricly for brewing! There should be a law preventing such a tragesty! Someone else mentioned rice? Do you Bud drinker realize that your so called beer is 30% rice? Busch- 30% corn. .

Thanks bobthewelder, someone had to say it. I mean about the adjuncts used in American mainstream 'beer". I think August Busch would b!tch slap his grandson if he ever tasted today's Budweiser. I'd be surprised if Bud is only 30% rice. It doesn't have much malt flavor nor hop bitterness. But that's not why I am writing...

I use Nu Finish or the Midway polish. Both work well for me. I find walnut works better on REALLY dirty, discolored cases and corn cobb media seems to give a brighter shine. I like the pet store variety of corn cobb media, can't find walnut.

BTW, I saw that Powder Valley sells corn cobb media cheap! I didn't buy any, but I did order some Wolf primers and powder. :-D I think I am going to have to do extensive range testing.

Trez Hensley
01-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Being in the gun making trade, I have an ultrasonic cleaner that does a great job.

I looked back in my favorites list and found the link to an article I read about it quite a while back. It's a good read and tells of using a lot cheaper model than the $1500 one I have.
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Zero crap in the flash holes. Being that it is so easy, I actually do it before I remove the primer to keep the range crap out of my dies and then again to clean out the pocket but this isn't necessary. It looks like the smaller unit they use in the article might be a bit slow for my method. I just throw in a couple gallons of brass at a time into mine. Turns the cleaner green to black in fast order but in 30 minutes to an hour they are all done.

Dave C.
03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I have 50 lbs of crushed walnut shells that "fell of the truck" I tried to use some to clean up some cases and it did that well but it is very dusty. Is there anyway to remove or reduce the dust?

Dave C.

jcwit
03-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Harbor Freight is selling walnut shell media now, 3 different grits I believe. They have a very good price also.

osage
03-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Dave C. I put used dryer sheets in with my media. They pick up some of the dust. I also try to pour the brass and media into the sifter outside using to wind to blow away some of the dust.
I use one half of a sheet and toss it out when sifting the media.

imashooter2
03-15-2008, 01:09 AM
I have 50 lbs of crushed walnut shells that "fell of the truck" I tried to use some to clean up some cases and it did that well but it is very dusty. Is there anyway to remove or reduce the dust?

Dave C.

Set the tumbler on the back porch and run it for an hour without the lid.