PDA

View Full Version : 1917 Rear Bridge work?

rwsem
06-05-2014, 07:02 AM
I rescued a Remington 1917 that looked like ****. It's already been cut down (stock, barrel, and rear bridge) but has a bright bore with deep grooves so I figured I'd see what I can do with it. It is already tapped for mounts front and rear but they are nowhere near to being on the same plane. A scope will never mount correctly.

All that to ask: Who can mill the rear bridge for me? Around here, there's one machine shop and they mostly do industrial work. I'd prefer to send it to someone who has experience with sportorizing MILSURP rifles.

Regards, Ron

Screwbolts
06-05-2014, 07:07 AM
17s are milled several different ways,

Why do they need to be milled in the same Plane? Many rifles use a different height front and rear mount.

It may have been milled to match the 725 Remington receiver. Photos or actual measurements would be helpful.

Ken

bob208
06-05-2014, 09:02 AM
there were several different contour to mill them to as stated. when I was working for a gunsmith. I would cut them off with a cut off wheel. then draw file them to the Remington model 30 contour.

a little trick that helped was where you were going to drill and tap. drop a ball of solder on the spot it would draw some of the hard case at that spot.

Uncle Grinch
06-05-2014, 06:25 PM
I've got one that was remilled to look like a Remington Model 30S. The trigger guard was also straightened. Even with the cock on closing, they are nice rifles.

rwsem
06-05-2014, 08:14 PM
The receiver is already roughly milled/ filed. The scope mount that came with it is a Leupold Standard two piece and has 110 marked on the bottom (flat rear, round front)- I'm guessing that means a Savage 110.

The difference in height is a bit more tricky because I don't have a straight edge but using a length of aluminum, I get a difference of .130"/3.302mm; front bridge being shorter . I've tried the combos of rings I have available (Med and High) and that didn't work. I'll try to find a low ring locally to try that. Looking at the Leupold scope ring chart- the difference between L and M is .120". I could file and maybe make that work.

There's a ton of metal in the rear bridge, so I just thought milling to an even height might clean up the profile a bit.

lefty o
06-05-2014, 08:32 PM
if its not too far off, you could make it work with burris signature series rings, and save alot of work.