PDA

View Full Version : Scoped the 57--------------------again.

littlejack
06-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Hey members:
Just rambling out loud. A few years ago, I scoped my model 57 Smith & Wesson. For whatever reason, I decided to
dismantle the set-up in about 2008 or so. Well, with the aging eyes, I decided to re-scope the same piece. I had,
since dismanteling, sold the scope (Leupold 2x) and the mount to a friend.
A couple weeks ago I bought another mount on flea-bay, and found a good buy on a nib Burris 2x. I installed the
mount last week, and the scope came in yesterday. It got mounted right away.
I had 3 different loads for the .41 stocked up. Away I went to the gun club to try out the new set-up.
The first loads were some 215 grain commercial boolits, seated over 7 grains of Hodgdon Universal. This load was
NOT very impressive. Groups ran 3" at 25 yards.
Next, I shot some loads with the Lyman 410459 boolits over 9 grains of Herco. These definitely shot better, 1 1/4"
at 25 yards. At 50 yards, 1 7/8".
Lastly, I shot some of my Ranch Dog loads. This is a gas check boolit, that drops about 260 grains +/-. The load
is a very max dose of H110. This IS a heavy load, but the cases drop out of the cylinder with very little coaxing.
At 25 yards, these grouped six shots in 7/8", and five of those were in 9/16".
At 50 yards, the groups opened up to 1 7/8" to 2" centers.
I did shoot the heavy Ranch Dog load at 100 yards. The group measured six shots, 4" vertical, and 2 5/8" wide.
All in all, I was very pleased with the new set-up. The Burris scope was very clear. After getting everything
adjusted, the scope stayed put. POI never changed.
The loads had not been worked up for the new scope/gun combination, so I thought that was pretty good also.
I have read posts from other members shooting much tighter groups. A lot of them have much more accurate
arms than this model 57.
I bought this piece in 1972. I paid 212.50 for it. I sent it back to Smith & Wesson in 2000 to replace 3
parts. They replaced 9 parts, re-cut the forcing cone and set the barrel back. It does lead using plain base boolits. I
am in the process of getting some pb gas checks and trying them on my 410459 boolits.
Just rambling out loud.
May all of your groups be one ragged hole.
Regards
Jack

44man
06-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Sounds good! Have the same eye problems and open sights were stolen by the grinch. I can't use a scope for hunting or off hand, wiggle so much I want to make the gun fire when the cross hairs cross the target. Then I can't see through them in dim light so I went to Ultra Dots on all my revolvers.
I don't see the crazy wiggle with them.
Scopes are great for working loads and long range.

osteodoc08
06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
41 mag. My favorite caliber. Not too big, not too small.

I've found over the years that my M57 really loves WFN designs pushed with near max dose of slow powder be it 2400/AA#9/296/LG. I cant wait for my MP 412640 to come in.....

Nice shooting my the way.

Out of curiosity, can you post a photo of the scope mount set up? Is it permanent or completely reversible?

Tatume
06-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Very nice. All of my 41 Rem Mag revolver still have iron sights, but I have to wear reading glasses to use them.

littlejack
06-05-2014, 04:32 PM
44, I have the same wriggles. Must be contagious.

o08, the MP 412640 looks to be a good one. It should serve you well.
I did have and cast/shoot the SSK design plane base 300 grain tc boolit. I figured it was a little heavy for the N-frame piece. I
sold that mold and picked up the Ranch Dog mold here on the CastBoolits. It cast great. Lots of boolits with the 6 banger. Plenty
heavy for busting rocks.
As far as the base goes, if you Google Ables Hunting and Shooting Supplies, p/n 42405 B-Square Universal mount, it will pop up.
I used this mount because the last time I mounted a scope on the piece, that is the brand I used. My 57 was manufactured way
before they came d&t'd for a mount. I had to do some transferring of the holes in the mount to match the holes in my revolver.
It came out very solid for my efforts.
If I was to start over again, I would opt for either the Burris or Leupold mounts. I would prefer the steel for more strength.
The MP 412640 will be a great boolit for sure. Should hit like a freight train. Accuracy should be there as well.
The best part about the .41 cartridge/handgun (IMO) is that one can load full house loads, and still have good control of the
piece without getting beat to a pulp. I have shot a couple of the big busters (480, 500) I don't really think I would want one.
Too much punishment. The guys shooting them at the gun club didn't have the least bit of control, and after a cylinder full, they
were hurtin. I think I will pass.
I have said this more than a few times, "If a .41 will not take it down, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44" I really believe that.

Tatume, I have gone way beyond reading glasses. AH, those were the good old days.
Regards
Jack

littlejack
06-05-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't know what's up with my post. While typing, it looks fine, but when I post it for a reply, it comes out way elongated.
Sorry

44man
06-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Many of us are just old coots! I admit it but am good to go. Still drag out deer.
Just never learned to smoke or BBQ just right.