PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions for dillon powder funnel

Steve Steven
06-04-2014, 05:19 PM
I am helping a friend set up a Dillon 550 (not a 550B) and he needs a powder funnel "A" and "B". I have offered to make some for him, but I want to have some dimensions for making it. I have both 308 and 30-06 reamers, and can borrow a 223 reamer from a friend. (I am assuming I would need to shape the inside of the funnel to suit the case) What I need is how far the case shape goes up into the funnel, how long the funnel is, and the diameter, which I can get from the pistol powder die that came with it.

Any help will be appreciated. I will be using my 12" lathe and some of the reamers I have from past gunsmith projects.

Steve

tsconver
06-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Actually just the end of the case engages the powder funnel on rifle case. It goes over the outside of the case. What dimensions do you need I have funnels for 308 and 556 on my dillon presses.

Steve Steven
06-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Thanks, tsconver. What I need is a dimension from the top of the funnel to the point where the case mouth touches the funnel, and how far the funnel extends below that point. A sketch would be nice showing what it looks like inside.

Thanks,

Steve

wv109323
06-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Steve,
Sent a PM

Dan Cash
06-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Why not spend $20 and get the real deal?????

fred2892
06-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Why not spend $20 and get the real deal?????

Where's the fun in that? I make all my own funnels for both the Dillon and the Lee powder measures. It allows me to custom shape the tips for cast boolits to work, like a powder thru m die. Something the real deal Dillon rifle funnels do not do!
NOI
Fred

Steve Steven
06-07-2014, 04:53 PM
I enjoy making things on my lathe and milling machine, I like saving money, and I like helping friends. Whats wrong with that!

Steve

ph4570
06-07-2014, 05:03 PM
I enjoy making things on my lathe and milling machine, I like saving money, and I like helping friends. Whats wrong with that!

Steve

Not a darn thing wrong with that. I make my funnels for my 550B for cast boolit cartridges. I do not want to use the Dillon funnels with poor expanders. I use M dies for that. I make mine out of brass for ease of machining.

VHoward
06-07-2014, 11:17 PM
For those that don't have the machinery to make their own, Mr Bullet Feeder has powder through expander plugs to fit the dillon powder dies that axpand the case like the Lyman "m" dies do. They only have them for pistol calibers though.

Steve Steven
06-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Thanks to a member, I got a nice sketch with dimensions I can use to make the two funnels I need.

Thanks, all!

Steve

CGT80
06-10-2014, 03:26 AM
For those that don't have the machinery to make their own, Mr Bullet Feeder has powder through expander plugs to fit the dillon powder dies that axpand the case like the Lyman "m" dies do. They only have them for pistol calibers though.

So, I could get a dillon style funnel to expand my 40 s&w brass enough to keep from swagging down boolits with the casing?

I was loading some test loads with range scrap and the brass case swagged the boolits. I don't want to have to add a step to loading 40 cal, and I use a dillon 550 press. I have a small lathe, but no real machining skills, and my tool post sucks (moves around) and does not work to make anything decent. I figured it would be better to just buy the part.

I do have a mr bullet feeder in 9mm, on my dillon 1050, but I hadn't thought that the same part may work for my cast boolits. I use moly coated lead, factory bullets in the 1050.

Steve Steven
06-14-2014, 03:12 PM
107787Guys,

Heres the sketch I drew up from the data provided by a member.

Steve