PDA

View Full Version : What A New Handgun Was Thinking

TX BOOMER
01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Seeing that it looks like I have been bitten by the casting bug , a new bug has raise it's head ,well new this week anyway. I what a new gun , was thinking about a 475 Linebaugh in a BFR. What do you think ? I have searched the old post for this subject but nothing has caught my eye for what I think I am looking for. And no I don't know what I am looking for . Mybe just some good input right now.
Thanks Guy's :Fire:

dubber123
01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
My brother just bought a 6-1/2" BFR 475 and is pretty happy with it. The finish isn't up to a Freedom Arms, but it's less than 1/2 the cost. It seems pretty well built, and alot of the cosmetic deficiancies can be fixed by hand. It has a very nice smooth looking bore, and seems to be easy to cast and load for. You won't find as many "regular" moulds like Lymans or Saeco's, but RCBS makes a good one, and Lee makes an inexpensize 2 cavity, that shoots very well in the 475. LBT and others can handle any serious mould making for you.

44man
01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I have the 7-1/2" and the thing is going in the casket with me! :mrgreen:
Both of my BFR's have shot cast from the git go and with a few jacketed just to play with. No break in needed at all, no leading beyond a few strands now and then, pushed out with a patch.
Plus superior accuracy.

GSPKurt
01-14-2008, 09:51 PM
My hands hurt just thinking about that gun!

freedom475
01-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I what a new gun , was thinking about a 475 Linebaugh in a BFR. What do you think ?
Thanks Guy's :Fire:

No matter which gun you choose to buy...You have already choosen the best cartridge. :mrgreen: May I suggest a barrel length around 5 1/2- 6in. The 7/12 are a little harder to pack and a little barrel heavy. I've heard that the shorter barrels can be a Lot "whipy"in the 475linebaugh. I have a FreedomArms, I really like it....If money wasn't part of the equation I would buy one of the Ruger costoms from John Linebaugh of Clements.

dubber123
01-14-2008, 10:17 PM
No matter which gun you choose to buy...You have already choosen the best cartridge. :mrgreen: May I suggest a barrel length around 5 1/2- 6in. The 7/12 are a little harder to pack and a little barrel heavy. I've heard that the shorter barrels can be a Lot "whipy"in the 475linebaugh. I have a FreedomArms, I really like it....If money wasn't part of the equation I would buy one of the Ruger costoms from John Linebaugh of Clements.

I tend to agree, the .475 is an awesome cartridge. I have loaded mine down to 500 fps. with great accuracy, 1-1/2" at 50 yds. (iron sights). Conversely a 440 gr. boolit gets to 1,325 fps. from a 4-3/4" barrel and has shot as small as .822" at 50 yards. It is a very versatile cartridge.

TX BOOMER
01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks guy's , maybe I should of asked this , the 475 round what can you tell me of it from your point of view ? :Fire:

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2008, 11:03 PM
like was allready said its a great round. Ive own and have owned guns in about every big bore caliber and if i had to pick one that was the most versitle it would be the 475. Im a big fan of the 500 linebaugh but have to admitt what one will kill so will the other and loading components for the 475s are about half the price as is factory ammo if a guy is lame enough to buy it. The 475 with its smaller case tends to be a tad easier to load down then the 50s too. Theres tons of good molds out there for it. heck you can even get a good bullet in a crap mold from lee for 20 bucks in there 400 grain rf.

TX BOOMER
01-14-2008, 11:23 PM
You know I talked to John Linebaugh today, and this is what he had to say about the475. I would suggest that you get a 45LC load a heavy bullet over some h110 and go hunting if all you may hunt are Texas Whitetail or most any other thing you like , but I think you will come back for a bigger gun later for some reason . most of my customers do. He aslo said get the 45LC in a ruger blisely . Also said send it to him and he smooth it out. My goodness the 475 can't be that bad to shoot. :Fire:

dubber123
01-14-2008, 11:42 PM
The .475 in a smaller gun CAN hurt with top end loads. If you get a longer one, even from 6" up, it makes a big difference. The BFR's are heavier than the F/A's or custom Rugers, and loads that hurt in my 4-3/4" Freedom, are MUCH more comfortable in my brothers 6-1/2" BFR. By handloading you can taylor the load a bunch. I can't disagree with Johns suggestion of a .45 Colt in a Bisley either though.

freedom475
01-15-2008, 10:44 AM
You know I talked to John Linebaugh today, and this is what he had to say about the475. I would suggest that you get a 45LC load a heavy bullet over some h110 and go hunting if all you may hunt are Texas Whitetail or most any other thing you like , but I think you will come back for a bigger gun later for some reason . most of my customers do. He aslo said get the 45LC in a ruger blisely . Also said send it to him and he smooth it out. My goodness the 475 can't be that bad to shoot. :Fire:

The Ruger Bisley is what John uses for his 475 conversions. The 45colt in the Bisley is nice shooter.

The 475 "can" be THAT bad to shoot....If you reload and shoot a lot its a real pleasure. A 420gr. at 1400fps is nothing short of EVIL:twisted:, If your asleep when this thing goes off the gun WILL hit you in the face. I think the heavier BFR might be a little more tame.

A 400gr. at 1000fps-1200 fps is great ( easier on the hand than a hot loaded 44mag) and a lot quieter than a 44mag too.

44man
01-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah, my friend has the Freedom .475 and neither of us likes to shoot it. He won't even bring it out anymore.
But he loves to shoot my BFR! :Fire: