PDA

View Full Version : Update - Broke TWO Lee sprue handles in two attempts to cast. Lee Response

kenn
06-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Quick background for those that didn't see my posts in casting boolits: I bought two new molds from Lee - both 6 cavity. .452-200SWC and .358-105SWC. I cast with the .452 first and broke the sprue handle with very little pressure. I was told it was cold sprue and chalked it up to a rookie mistake. Fast forward two days. I bought a hot plate to be sure the mold was really hot. It was. I cast about 300 boolits in the .358 and was hot enough that sprue pour would stay molten for 8-10 seconds. I was cutting it so quickly after frost that I smeared lead a few times. When the second one gave out, I was actually closing the mold and the snap came with an amount of effort that wouldn't even break a pencil.

I emailed Lee and sent pictures. They are sending a handle replacement for both for free. I also asked if they were aware of the problem or had a bad lot and I got this response:

Hey Ken,
We identified a density issue with the material our sprue levers are composed of, and they have been strengthened (copper infiltrated).
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks for sending in the photo. We'll get a replacement sent out to you in tomorrow's mail.

I'm glad they are sending a replacement, but I have a couple of CNC machined ones coming from 338RemUltraMag (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?21725-338RemUltraMag) who is a forum vendor here. Nice guy.

jmort
06-04-2014, 11:39 AM
"I have a couple of CNC machined ones coming from 338RemUltraMag who is a forum vendor here. Nice guy."

He is a good guy. I have his sprue plates and cam levers for all my Lee Precision six cavity molds. Waiting for him to run the two hole plates. Even with the cost of the "upgrades," Lee Molds are a great deal. As you can see, they are straight shooters. Great customer service considering the price point of their products.

HABCAN
06-04-2014, 12:03 PM
I too broke one a little while ago: the same day I called they eMailed that a free replacement was in the mail to me, and I got it here IN CANADA in five days. LEE Customer Service is exemplary! I'm happy to see that, in the post above, it really WAS an equipment fault vs. something stoopud I'd done.

petroid
06-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Glad to hear they're taking care of you. Bet it feels good to hear them admit the problem was on their end and not your fault

fredj338
06-04-2014, 03:21 PM
They are easy to break, regardless of what many will say, the alloy is krap. It's pretty hit or miss too. Some are really poor castings, some better. On the few molds I use often, I replaced mine with the steel ones from KAL. IMO, Lee could offer machined steel or even cast steel, charge $5 more, still sell as many molds.

MT Chambers
06-05-2014, 06:54 AM
This part should not break so often and should be made from steel not "scintered metal".

kenn
06-05-2014, 10:07 AM
This part should not break so often and should be made from steel not "scintered metal".

Absolutely! The part that breaks is the small "loop" that goes around the bolt holding it in. According to my micrometer, it is .091 inches thick. Yes, less than a tenth of an inch. That is absolutely NOTHING for powdered metal (sintered). This is a fatal flaw in Lee's design and they should make it solid.

Beesdad
06-05-2014, 11:47 AM
I am glad to see Lee is replacing the defective sprue cam.

I run 8 - Lee 6 cavity molds and I broke the sprue cam the 2nd time I used my first mold ( my fault .. Let the sprue get cold ). I have now done 30,000+ with no problem.. But I have a number of replacement cams that I don't think I will ever have to use.

WildcatFan
06-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Lee sent me a new sprue lever, but how do I get the old broken one out of the handles?

kenn
06-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Lee sent me a new sprue lever, but how do I get the old broken one out of the handles?

I posted in the thread on this subject, but I clamped vice grips on the exposed metal with only a narrow gap between the tip of the vice grips and where the metal collar on the wood handle begins. I stuck a very large blade flat screwdriver in the narrow gap and used it for leverage to start the handle moving off the broken sprue lever. Once I moved it about 1/4 inch, it came off very easily as it appears to just be a compression fit with no adhesive or glue.

NVScouter
06-09-2014, 05:31 PM
You mean my LEE 6 banger shouldnt have 3/4" weld marks were I've broken it a dozen times? Much faster to zip a weld on then wait for any Customer Service.

kenn
06-10-2014, 12:20 PM
I got two steel handles from 338RemUltraMag today and they look great and they are solid rather than cast so this won't happen again. I also received the Lee replacements and they are definitely a different color of metal than the ones I had. Customer service told me they've changed the metal composition to fix the problem but I guess time will tell. I'd recommend just getting the solid steel ones if you break one and skip the drama. Or weld as NV did. I don't have any welding equipment or know a welder so I didn't have that option.

mold maker
06-10-2014, 01:31 PM
I must be the luckiest guy casting. I have 21 LEE 6 cav molds and every one has the original handle intact. I have modified lots of the cutter contact surfaces with screws, but mostly after use had started moving the surface metal.

Hardcast416taylor
06-10-2014, 04:31 PM
When I start a session using ANY multiple cavity mold ESPECIALLY a LEE I follow this procedure. Pre heat mold first, start by casting in 1 cavity only for 6 throws, move up to using 2 cavaties for another 6 throws, keep advancing in this pattern to heat up the sprue plate and mold itself till you are using all mold cavaties. I broke my first LEE 6 holer sprue handle, haven`t broke any since doing a session starting out this way.Robert

SniderBoomer
06-10-2014, 04:32 PM
I feel good it was a fault - I had 2 go in quick succession under similar circumstances, and I felt not fully believed when I maintained I wasn't pushing on the cam with any undue or 'inappropriate' effort having used older Lee 6-Cavs for years. I did get 2 new replacements very quickly without cost, Lee never let me down that way.

Lee - even if it adds a couple of dollars a throw, I gladly pay the extra for a steel lever on the 6-cavs.

How about it?