PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a .308 roll crimp die

fastfire
06-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Couldn't find a RCBS or LEE, Who make this die?

petroid
06-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Just wondering, wouldn't a Lee FCD accomplish the same task

fouronesix
06-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Just wondering, wouldn't a Lee FCD accomplish the same task

Exactly,
The Lee FCD in rifle calibers (not necessarily pistol) is a very fine tool.

Also, simply take the seating stem out of a standard bullet seating die and presto- roll crimp die.... if your heart is set on a separate roll crimp die.

Mk42gunner
06-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Without digging one of my dies out to look at, I thought most rifle seating dies have a roll crimp shoulder. I know my RCBS .30-30, .35 Remington, and .45-70 seating dies have the crimp shoulder. You just have to adjust the bullet seating stem up a bit and the die body down.

It has been a while since I loaded .308, but it seems like that set also crimps when adjusted correctly.

Robert

lylejb
06-04-2014, 02:42 AM
From Midwayusa's RCBS die:

All RCBS Seater Dies have a built-in roll or taper crimp as appropriate for the particular caliber. To seat bullets without crimping, simply unscrew the die until the crimp ring no longer engages the case mouth.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/242330/rcbs-seater-die-307-308-winchester?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Unless you buy a special taper crimp die, most all sets for 308 will have the roll crimp

petroid
06-04-2014, 07:32 AM
From Midwayusa's RCBS die:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/242330/rcbs-seater-die-307-308-winchester?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Unless you buy a special taper crimp die, most all sets for 308 will have the roll crimp

Correct me if I'm wrong but roll crimping requires uniform case trimming, right? I don't always trim my brass if it still chambers and especially if neck sizing only because it just doesn't grow much. That's why I like the FCD

fastfire
06-04-2014, 11:37 AM
I trim my brass every time I reload it. I wasn't aware the roll crimp was part of the seating die, learn something every day here.

dragon813gt
06-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I trim my brass every time I reload it. I wasn't aware the roll crimp was part of the seating die, learn something every day here.

Not all seating dies crimp. Lee has dead length seaters that don't provide any type of crimp.

W.R.Buchanan
06-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Fastfire: simply remove the seating stem from your bullet seating die and you will then have a roll crimp die. Pretty much all rifle dies have this function and now I think about it most all pistol dies do too. I sometimes buy an extra seating die to use in this way since I like to seat and crimp in two separate operations. Normally the seating die will do both operations at once but sometimes that becomes difficult to get to work right.

Strait walled pistol cases have a taper crimp function built into the die instead since you don't roll crimp those. There used to be 3 die pistol sets, now 4 die sets are more common for the above reason.

IF you are doing bottleneck cases of some common caliber I'd suggest buying a RCBS Precision Bullet Seating Die, and then using your existing Seating Die as a crimp die. Where this really comes into it's own is when you get a multi station loading press like a Turret Press or a C&H style press. Then you will assemble rounds from start to finish by using each die in it's normal rotation. and either the dies will move to the case or vice versa. End result is a done round each time .

Here's a pic of a current set up I'm using on a PW MetalMatic II multi station press. The die on the right is the powder charging die, the center is the RCBS seating die, and the one on the left is a normal seating die with the insides removed acting as a crimp die.

This set up is to load .30-06's

Hope this helps your understanding of this part of the process.

Randy

fastfire
06-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Fastfire: simply remove the seating stem from your bullet seating die and you will then have a roll crimp die. Pretty much all rifle dies have this function and now I think about it most all pistol dies do too. I sometimes buy an extra seating die to use in this way since I like to seat and crimp in two separate operations. Normally the seating die will do both operations at once but sometimes that becomes difficult to get to work right.

Strait walled pistol cases have a taper crimp function built into the die instead since you don't roll crimp those. There used to be 3 die pistol sets, now 4 die sets are more common for the above reason.

IF you are doing bottleneck cases of some common caliber I'd suggest buying a RCBS Precision Bullet Seating Die, and then using your existing Seating Die as a crimp die. Where this really comes into it's own is when you get a multi station loading press like a Turret Press or a C&H style press. Then you will assemble rounds from start to finish by using each die in it's normal rotation. and either the dies will move to the case or vice versa. End result is a done round each time .

Here's a pic of a current set up I'm using on a PW MetalMatic II multi station press. The die on the right is the powder charging die, the center is the RCBS seating die, and the one on the left is a normal seating die with the insides removed acting as a crimp die.

This set up is to load .30-06's

Hope this helps your understanding of this part of the process.

Randy

I use competition seating dies on all rifle cases and have some regular seating dies that I can use for this.
I'm a happy camper now. THANK YOU!

dragon813gt
06-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Fastfire: simply remove the seating stem from your bullet seating die and you will then have a roll crimp die. Pretty much all rifle dies have this function and now I think about it most all pistol dies do too.

First part, not all rifle dies have a crimp function. And I know of no pistol dies that don't have it. You need to know what dies you have.

Second part, the pistol dies will have the proper crimp for the cartridge. Dies for auto loaders, like 9mm and 45acp, will have a taper crimp. While dies for revolvers, like 357 and 44 magnum, will have the proper roll crimp. The fourth die in the case of Lee is a factory crimp die which may or may not give you issues w/ oversized cast bullets.

I'm pointing this out so newbies to reloading don't get confused. Know which dies you have and that will tell you what they're capable of.

fastfire
06-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Exactly,
The Lee FCD in rifle calibers (not necessarily pistol) is a very fine tool.

Also, simply take the seating stem out of a standard bullet seating die and presto- roll crimp die.... if your heart is set on a separate roll crimp die.

By golly, your rite! I have reloaded rifle calibers for 46+ years and didn't know that. I just reloaded some .308s used a separate die for seating and crimping, it worked:-P

W.R.Buchanan
06-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Dragon: Good point,,, To clarify. "Most" Bottleneck Case Seating dies have the roll crimp feature. The Precision Seating dies do not, and some other may not as well. Most do have it.

Rimless Pistol Case Dies IE: 9mm .40 S&W, .45 ACP etc. have taper crimp features.

Semi Rimmed cases like .38/.357, .44 Special/Magnum, .45 LC dies have roll crimp features.

There are two distinctly different Lee FCD's. The Rifle Dies have a Collet that is pushed up as the case enters it and closes on the case mouth to crimp it. The Collet is pushed up into a taper on the inside of the die by the shell holder. As it is pushed into the taper, it closes on the case mouth. These dies are specific to each cartridge since the position of the crimp is not adjustable and defined by the Collet itself. Pretty much all factory loaded Ammunition has a crimp that is done this way. Lee just made it available to the Masses.

For Rimless Auto Pistol cases the die is simply a Taper Crimp die with a Sizing Ring in the base that Irons Out any case bulges that maybe generated by the bullet seating operation. All rounds have specific amounts of taper crimp to be applied defined by a measurement across the case mouth. This information is usually contained in the loading manual along with loads to be used.

I have not used a Lee FCD on Semi Rimmed cases but I think the Lee Die is the same type of operation as the Collet Style Die for bottleneck cases. I have a set of Lee dies for .45-70 and that set has a Collet Style Crimp Die, and the seating die also has the Roll Crimper as well which is what I use. In fact I believe I bought a separate Seating Die to use as a Roll Crimper as I mentioned doing in the last post.

If I was to load some Belt Mountain Punch Solids (solid Brass Bullets) in my .45-70 for shooting Elephants or light pickup trucks, I would definitely use the Lee Collet Crimp Die to eliminate any possibility of bullets moving in the magazine under heavy recoil.

I saw some Buffalo Bore Heavy .44 Special loads yesterday, and they had serious crimps that looked like Lee Collet Style Crimps. This style crimp is used when you have very heavy recoiling loads that have the possibility of jumping crimp while waiting their turn at bat.

There is a lot to know here and the subject of crimping is one which many people ignore simply because they don't understand all of the nuances.

Hope this clarifies this subject a little more.

Randy

dragon813gt
06-05-2014, 02:55 PM
I have not used a Lee FCD on Semi Rimmed cases but I think the Lee Die is the same type of operation as the Collet Style Die for bottleneck cases.

Lee factory crimp dies are seperated as pistol and rifle. All the pistol FCDs regardless of round have a carbide ring. The rifle style uses the collets. Lee does make a special order rifle style factory crimp die for rounds like 357 and 44 Magnum. Just some more confusion to add to it all :beer:

trapper9260
06-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I use the FCD for 308 for my semi auto rifle and then i use the 30-30 for my marlin because it is a tight chamber and also one for my 44 marlin also because of the same reason as the 30-30.and takes care of all the problems I was haven with feeding.As for the 44mag i did not need it in my redhawk but when I went to use the same in my Marlin then I had a problem feeding.As for the 308 I was haveing a problem feeding also and that took care of the problem hope this helps.

popper
06-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Taper crimp or FCD on the 308 roll crimp NOT needed. Roll crimp you big revolvers.

robg
06-14-2014, 06:32 AM
trim every case and lee fcd is all you need

detox
06-14-2014, 09:39 AM
I think the roll crimp works best with cast bullets. The Lee Factory Crimp Die works good, but makes brass permenently indented at case mouth.

Saeco just released a new taper crimp die for bottle neck cases, but I think this is more for jacketed bullets. I could be wrong

MT Chambers
06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
All die sets that I am aware of have a crimping function on the bullet seating die, some handgun cals. will have a taper crimp but all the rest will have roll crimps. The Lee "crimp" dies just muddy the waters for new reloaders, and are unnecessary. Competition seating dies or in-line seating dies, that are usually sold separately are an exception.