PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

GOPHER SLAYER
06-03-2014, 09:14 PM
A friend of mine asked me what an 1884 Trap Door Springfield might me worth should he decide to sell it. So I'm turning to boys who should know, as I am not terribly familiar with these. The rifles does come with scratches and dings as one would expect with age and use, BUT it is complete as issued. Thanks in advance.

BTW: The bore while not bright and shiny, is in very condition and should make a very good shooter.

flydoc
06-04-2014, 08:13 AM
I just picked one up at a local auction for $425 and I think I got a good deal. They seem to hover around $800 on the on-line auctions. The rear site on yours adds some value and the pics seem to show nice metal throughout.Hopefully your friend will give you a good deal and let you buy it for less than that.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-04-2014, 02:37 PM
flydoc, I appreciate your help. I actually don't want to buy the rifle myself. I have more guns than I can shoot now. Our problem out here is a place to shoot without putting a hundred miles on your car. My friend needs to raise some cash. He has another trapdoor in excellent condition with a mint bore that was made in 1874. Unfortunately Bubba got hold of it first and, well you know what Bubba can do to a fine military piece. By the way flydoc , do you live near Cairo. I was born and raised in Sikeston, Missouri and have spent a lot of time in Cairo. There is a bar-b-que place there that is second to none. Have a great day.

Hardcast416taylor
06-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Gopher Slayer. What you have here is the variant known as the "Ramrod Bayonet Model of 1884". These are bringing prices on the collector market of $2K+. I have seen specimens listed on sale sites go for that price range and upwards of $3K. I would get a competent appraisal on this rifle.Robert

GOPHER SLAYER
06-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Thank you Hardcast, my friend will be pleased to hear that. I will tell him to take it to a qualified appraiser.