View Full Version : Next Project(s) - 1950's Marlins

Kevinakaq
06-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Well gentlemen I thought I would share my next two projects I just picked up a few minutes ago. I'm a bit excited (OK VERY EXCITED) and really looking forward to the restoration work ahead of me. Want to keep as original as possible.

The first is a 336 R.C. in 30-30 with the Waffle top made in '52. Has been tapped for scope on side of receiver only, not on the waffle top. Rifling is bright and shiney, wood in decent shape for a used rifle. No pitting of the metal at all. Gun is solid as can be and ready to shoot as is (may be a travesty to restore). Butt plate has been poorly replaced recently and will need work.

The second is a 336 R.C. in 32 Winchester Special made in 1954. A caliber I have never shot nor loaded for but I know it's a rarity. It is defintily the gun that will require the most work to restore. Has a solid rubber recoil pad that will have to go. Features original sling mounts. Features a vintage Lyman style peep sight that is missing the nut (or whatever, will have to research) for the elevation adjustment assembly. The metal does have some pitting primarily at the muzzle and on the right receiver side. Bore bright and shiney. Gun functions correct and seems solid. Both ballard rifling of course. Forearm wood is in decent shape but buttstock will need some work as fit at the tang has a gap. May carve a new buttstock out if I cant save this one to my expectations.

Not pictured but I recently picked up a '81 336 in 30-30 with 95 percent bluing and 90 percent wood. When I cleaned for copper the patch came out white...don't think it was hardly ever shot. Now I have to decide to keep it or the 30-30 336 R.C when I am finished....decisions decisions!!!

Thought I would share and look for any tips/suggestions on these projects! As always comments and words of wisdom are very welcome and sought after.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-03%2018.02.36.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-03%2018.02.29.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-03%2018.02.22.jpg

Thanks for looking and enabling gentlemen,
Kevin

Bullshop Junior
06-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Not sure what the term waffle tops means. I have a mid 60s 336 with a new 24" barrel in 32 special and I quite like it. With I could find a sight like that lyman for it.

Kevinakaq
06-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Not sure what the term waffle tops means.

Waffle top on 30-30
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-03%2018.36.55.jpg

Lyman currently on 32 Win Sp. Missing a nut at the very least on elevation and the peep which should be easy to replace.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-03%2018.38.14.jpg

Bullshop Junior
06-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Wanna trade anything for that sight?

Kevinakaq
06-03-2014, 07:37 PM
I've got two other Marlin 336's in 30-30 and 35 rem and need peeps on both of them...

May just hold onto it for now, but have been known to change my mind.

smkummer
06-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I keep kicking myself for passing up a early 50's 30-30 336 for $275. A hunted with gun with some wear but also a pre- Micro groove and the fat forearm felt so right. I had just lucked out finding a pre-64 94 for the same price but the Marlin would have shot better and felt better. Lyman's 311291 with 10.4 grains unique and 1500 FPS is one fun shooting accurate load that is cheap as heck to shoot. It doesn't get any better.

pietro
06-03-2014, 08:32 PM

Nice projects.

FWIW, while the sling swivels may be old, they are in no way original to the gun - but were added after it left New Haven.

While Marlin did install factory swivels on 336's, IIRC it was only on the checkered Deluxe models - and never did the forward swivel as a magazine tube band.
(The Deluxe factory front swivels were in/on the forend cap.)

06-03-2014, 08:40 PM
When you detail strip the rifle, try and hand - unscrew the barrel from the receiver. Not that you want to separate the two but, you may find that the barrel isn't very tight in the receiver. If it's tight, you're good. I did one and the barrel unscrewed with no effort at all. Not good for accuracy. Just FYI

Kevinakaq
06-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Great information pietro, thank you for that.

725 - I stripped the 32 sp down just now and put receiver in a bench vise and there is zero turning of the barrel...tight as dick's headband...just like me!

And I'm debating on what mold to order. Maybe i'll order the 8mm mold from Lee (see previous Dick's headband reference) or try to buy some of the rcbs 32-170-fn bullets off of someone with the mold. Will slug barrel tomorrow and see what I got.

And I have some 170 gr loaded up right now with 10.4 unique for testing in my pre-84....maybe tomorrow....sigh.

Gtek
06-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Having been diagnosed with Marlinitis many, many moons ago I really doubt any will break from the herd. If you are comfortable with all I would highly recommend full tear down and good internal scrub. Also while down polish a couple corners here and there and you will be amazed how slick them things can get. One other little detail, always scrub, polish, LIGHT lube of internal mag tube. Fine Scotch Brite in old jag/rod setup in batt drill. Winchesters are for cowboys, we southern boys!

Kevinakaq
06-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Born southerner here so i guess Marlin fits. I have had many throughout the years and always enjoyed. Yeah the 32 sp is completly broke down right now and barrel is getting a scrubbing. Ran some lead cleaner and copper cleaner through and she is really shinning up nicely inside. Will soak and scrub internals tomorrow and polish as necessary. I cycled a few rounds (guy i bought these from handed me a box) before i broke her down and she cycled like a champ. She will get the full treatment of restoration as she is definitly in the rough but mechanically sound. As for the 30-30 im at a crossroads....while not pretty she is functional and would make a fine hunting rifle as is...but i do love to make them purdy........

izzyjoe
06-03-2014, 11:05 PM
I am a marlin freak myself! I love those waffle tops! Especially the sport carbines, keep up the good work, and keep those pics coming. You have some nice rifles there, RC's are getting harder to find.

nekshot
06-04-2014, 08:27 AM
I kinda envy you even though I have what you have, geez how is it when you see more of the same you want more!! Enjoy your loot, its better than money in the bank at this stage of time.

Kevinakaq
06-04-2014, 10:00 AM
It is amazing the things people do to rifles. On the 30-30 where it was tapped for a side scope mount someone had installed some set screws to fill in (no scope mount). Well apparently they couldn't find the right length of set screw and choose to file off the part extending from the receiver...which also happened to be the part you need to turn the screws out....sigh. It was done aa while back to as they were in tight. Why they didn't file off the bottom instead of the top I'll never know and thank God I will never understand. I must thank the gunsmith that did drill the holes though as they don't go through the receiver and are straight as an arrow. A first class job. As for the gentleman who filed off the slots from the screws to make them nice and even...he needs a role model! Managed to get them out though by drilling out a bit and using an easy out. All but one came out...the stubborn one required drill out most of it and using compressed air and out came the remnants. All in all having an enjoyable morning I must confess.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-04%2010.01.49.jpg

And I think I will slow rust blue this rifle. I haven't done it in 25 years when I was a young kid, but I still have the rifle I did and love that satin deep finish.

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Great information pietro, thank you for that.

725 - I stripped the 32 sp down just now and put receiver in a bench vise and there is zero turning of the barrel...tight as dick's headband...just like me!

And I'm debating on what mold to order. Maybe i'll order the 8mm mold from Lee (see previous Dick's headband reference) or try to buy some of the rcbs 32-170-fn bullets off of someone with the mold. Will slug barrel tomorrow and see what I got.

And I have some 170 gr loaded up right now with 10.4 unique for testing in my pre-84....maybe tomorrow....sigh.

I have a whole pile of 32 molds if you wanna try anything.

Kevinakaq
06-04-2014, 10:28 AM
I have a whole pile of 32 molds if you wanna try anything.

Appreciate the offer Bullshop and may indeed take you up on that offer as I move along. Nice of you. I just now slugged the barrel and largest reading I could get on the micro was .3203.

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Mine is closer to 321". I finally got a decent load worked up for it with a 185gn bullet. 28gn of IMR 4064.
This was at 100 yards.

I'm happy with it!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/ypamy7u8.jpg

pietro
06-04-2014, 10:36 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-04%2010.01.49.jpg

And I think I will slow rust blue this rifle. I love that satin deep finish.

Since refinishing the receiver (blueing) is in it's future, I think I would consider re-doing the slotless filler screws thing, filing the heads (and the high hole edges from a too fast drilling) flush with the side surface & polishing that side (at least) prior to rust bluing.

If it's done correctly, the resulting circles should only be visible under close inspection.

Kevinakaq
06-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Mine is closer to 321". I finally got a decent load worked up for it with a 185gn bullet. 28gn of IMR 4064.
This was at 100 yards.

I'm happy with it!

As you should be...I'd be proud of that. 4064 is my go to powder for 30 cal rifles.

Since refinishing the receiver (blueing) is in it's future, I think I would consider re-doing the slotless filler screws thing, filing the heads (and the high hole edges from a too fast drilling) flush with the side surface & polishing that side (at least) prior to rust bluing.

If it's done correctly, the resulting circles should only be visible under close inspection.

I should have expounded a little bit on the previous job. The screws were filed but some of the slot was still visible..half there...one chewed up...you get the picture. They definitely had to come out. As to whether to fill or leave with some set screws installed I'm on the fence. Thankfully the d&t job was not in the 'waffle'. It is nice to have the option to mount a scope, though most likely I would not. I'm definitely straddling a fence on this one. One of the reasons I posted on the forum. First is I really don't have close friends nearby who shares my enthusiasm for such doings (either I moved and they have) and it is great to get some seasoned opinions. All good.

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 10:51 AM
I hate scopes on levers. That being said I'm surprised they drilled the side. I've never seen a side mount on a marlin.

Kevinakaq
06-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah my other two levers are without scopes and I prefer them that way myself. One thing that did surprise me was the 1952 30-30 had never been drilled for a sling. I don't believe the bullseye has been replaced (yellowed a bit and fits flush) as they could have used it for the stud and then put a new one in later down the road. I say that because on the '81 30-30 I just got I had to remove the stud and put a bullseye back in.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Using Bullshop's NEI 200 gr FnGC .323, 16gr Accurate 5744, got 2 1/2inch 200 yard 10 shot group in my 24" Marlin 336 SC .32 Winchester. It was drilled and tapped when I got it. Used older Weaver 4-16 for load development. Bullshop makes good bullets. I have gotten close with his LBT 200 gr FNGC, but wind has been messing with me. 2" vertical, but 4-6" horizontal at 200 yards. Both go under 1.5 at 100 yards ( less wind effect)

izzyjoe
06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
I guess that someone already had the side mount, and just reused what they had. A lot of older gun I see have those kind of modifications.

Kevinakaq
06-04-2014, 09:22 PM
I have been looking around trying to find the mount that would even work with that pattern. Anyone recognize it?

TXGunNut
06-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Nice rifles, excellent project material. I don't have a problem scoping a newer Marlin and my presbyopic eyes certainly appreciate it. Receiver sights work great and tang sights look good while working quite well to boot.
Looking forward to progress reports, these old girls are in good hands.

Kevinakaq
06-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Appreciate the reply TxGunNut.

As for the mount I think I answered my own question. A Weaver #1 Side Mount Base (Part Num 48401) will fit it. Hole spacing from front to rear is .719, 1.656, and .719.

Will probably never use it but it is nice to know what works.

TXGunNut
06-04-2014, 11:18 PM
IMHO the accuracy potential of a Marlin rifle is best realized with a medium-powered semi-compact scope. I love my Winchesters but they gain little with the addition of optics so they all wear peeps. With young eyes a Marlin with peep or buckhorn sights is an awesome quick-shooting gun at reasonable ranges. Putting a 4 or 2-7X scope on aforementioned mount and peeps on the other will give you enviable flexibilty in hunting camp.
And FWIW the 32 Special is indeed special. If possible find some brass with the correct headstamp and have some fun with it. Hornady is due to make a run of it soon, very good brass!

Gtek
06-05-2014, 09:15 PM
The holes are there, no backing up. I think I remember a tip off mount also, scope swung over left to allow iron use. What about finding vintage mount and a period Lyman Alaskan? My iron days are pretty much over, but you may still have some. They make plug screws with small radius, small shoulder head that would plug and play if thread confirmed. Still a waffle top, fat belly with a good bore!

Kevinakaq
06-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Did quite a bit of searching. While i found vintage mounts/rings for 30 bucks in excellent condition i could not find any tip rings for these mounting holes. I have decided not to fill the holes on the 30-30 as any repair would show in the finish. If you cant hide it then own it!

Alot of of draw filing on the 32 today as there were pits on receiver and barrel. Most of them out now. Suprising that there are pits on outside but nice shiney bore on inside. BUT if i had to pick that is where they would be... The wood had a sizable gap around the tang that i am in midst of trying to repair in hopes of saving the original numbered buttstock. Bedded the gap with a mixture of devcon steel, brown dye, and a heap of walnut dust. Will sand down in the morning, pray she releases clean, and see is the job passes muster. Looks promising. Like i said the 30-30 is a straight up rifle which will benifit from cosmetics only...the 32 definitly is where the work lies....if i cant restore the buttstock to my satisfaction i will buy a piece of fancy figured walnut and go to carving!

Kevinakaq
06-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Well the bedding did release pretty easily and I think it neatly hides the gap and tightens up the stock. I will consider it a success and the stock is a keeper. It chipped in a couple small places that you can see in the pics when I removed it (I made a mistake which I will not own up to any further!!!). I will have to touch up again but that is no big deal as the foundation is there and matches pretty darn well. I wet it for the pic just to see how it will match when coated. Please remember this is in the very rough stages and directly after rough sanding only and removing and MUST be touched up and worked LOTS more. Same with the metal at this point. BUT the devcon/dye/walnut dust combination worked really well which is what I'm trying to illustrate.

Last night after coating
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-05%2016.47.59.jpg

After rough sanding
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-06-06%2009.07.01.jpg

Kevin

izzyjoe
06-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Coming along nicely!

gordie
06-06-2014, 05:24 PM
thanks kevin for sharing... i enjoy your projects.

i grew-up on the spacecoast & hunted ocala often.

higgins
06-06-2014, 05:25 PM
A while back I saw a 39A in a pawn shop that had been drilled for a scope side mount. Looked like they laid it on the workbench and did it with the hand-held Black and Decker. The crazy thing was that it was a somewhat new rifle that otherwise looked to be in good shape, and was even drilled on the top of the receiver for a scope mount! I guess someone had a side mount and scope that they felt compelled to use.

Kevinakaq
06-06-2014, 05:43 PM
thanks kevin for sharing... i enjoy your projects.

i grew-up on the spacecoast & hunted ocala often.

Thanks Gordie for that. I was born in Gainesville and grew up in the Ocala area for the most part. These days I hunt Ocala when I don't have a permit for the Lochloosa area outside of Archery/BP. Hunted Ocala National forest toting a T/C Renegade with my father starting in 1988 or so...good memories there. Started taking my niece there as well last season.

Just finished restoring a Colt "Colteer" today (single shot 22) and it turned out really nice. I will probably sell it on the Swappin section in a few days but will be hard to part with it as it is a sweet looking classic.

TXGunNut
06-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Looking good, please keep up posted.

Grizzly Adams
06-07-2014, 12:27 AM
[smilie=b::killingpc

northmn
06-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I have 2 Waffle tops. One a 35 and a 30-30. The 35 photo is taken with the buck.
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/Buck2011001.jpg (http://s550.photobucket.com/user/Davidpeck16/media/Buck%202011/Buck2011001.jpg.html) http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Marlin30-30001_zps0e7c895f.jpg (http://s550.photobucket.com/user/Davidpeck16/media/Marlin30-30001_zps0e7c895f.jpg.html)
The 35 came drilled and tapped and has a 24 inch barrel. Mostly my go to gun. The 30-30 was pretty much case worn but shot very high with the Red field peep sight. Both have Ballard rifling whcih makes them more valuabe to me than a rifle made in later years with micro goove. While some get good results with cast and micro-groove, Ballard rifling is less hassle. You mentioned a 64 Marlin and that one would go down the road if it were my choice.
The 30-30 now has a higher fiber optic green front sight which makes it quite easy to see. Who ever had it before threw away the peep sight insert, which was quite common in older rifles. I now have a 1.5X4.5 scope on the 35.
A Marlin does not need either a side mount or a scout setup but some insist on treating them like a 94. The side mount might have permitted use of both iron and a scope, another rather lame idea. I mount my scopes such that they are in focus when the rifle is brought to the shoulder and find that a low power scope is just as fast if not faster than a peep sight.
Some like to collect the older waffle tops and shudder at any drilling for a scope mount either on top or the side mount. Sling swivels do not seem to detract from value and the old peep sight adds to it. For some reason the bulleye is a desirable feature and some cliam Marlin will send you one. They are merley a plug to fill a hole as part of the stock making process.

DP

Kevinakaq
08-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Just wanted to update on my progress on the rifles mentioned above. I did finish the 1952 30-30 just a few minutes ago and wanted to post some pictures up of it. It has been rust blued, around ten coats of true-oil, all parts meticulously cleaned/inspected. I have the 1954 32 Win Special almost ready to rust blue. Wood work complete. So hopefully by late next week I'll have that one together as well. That one required quite a bit of draw filing and polishing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-08-15%2017.56.41.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-08-15%2018.27.15.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-08-15%2017.57.07.jpg

I also picked up a 336 RC (straight stock - Texan?) in 35 Rem since I started these projects and blued it at refinished the wood at the same time I did the 30-30.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-08-15%2018.17.34.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-08-15%2018.21.40.jpg

Really looking forward to working up some loads for these two rifles over the upcoming weeks. I have everything needed for the 30-30 cast and there is a RCBS 35-200 mold in the mail to me right now.

Thanks for looking,
Kevin

richhodg66
08-15-2014, 08:32 PM
I have a late '40s Marlin carbine in .32 Special very much like yours. Good rifle, feeds and functions nicely, but so far I've only shot it with plinking loads consisting of an old Ideal plain based bullet designed for the .32-40 and 8-9 grains of Unique. I also have an early '50s long barreled, half magazine one in .35 Remington. I'm a Savage 99 fan, and actually am one of the weird guys who likes '94 WInchesters better, but have to admit the old Marlins are pretty neat.

TXGunNut
08-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Wow! Nice, very nice. Thanks for sharing those beautiful rifles with us.