PDA

View Full Version : Lube Groove Opinions?

JSnover
01-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm currently shooting Lyman 459124; a fairly 'typical' looking bullet.
Seems most of the grooves in conventional molds are pretty good sized. BigLube molds have one or two HUGE grooves but some others (Lee, for one) offer molds with a bunch of 'micro' grooves. I understand the theory behind each. Has anyone here tried either of them or something like them?
200 yard accuracy in a .45-70 is what I'm interested in.

Thanks.

felix
01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
It is the total overall dimensions of the boolit which makes the difference in total trajectory balance. Just can't pick out one feature and say that is a cause for accuracy or disaccuracy. The centers of gravity and wind pressure must be just right for a trully accurate boolit. However, a boolit design would be a keeper if it shoots within expectations, no matter how good or bad it looks. ... felix

44man
01-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I agree, I have made molds with all kinds of grease grooves plus bought molds. I don't see where they have any effect as long as there is enough lube to do the job.
Boolit fit to the throats, bore and twist rate means everything, doesn't matter if there are two, three or one GG. Balance can make or break a boolit at long range but I can't tell how to figure it or predict what is best.
I made a BPCR boolit that shot under 1" at 200 yd's but beyond that it went to all points of the compass. Darn boolit looks good but there is something wrong with it.
I have better luck with revolver boolits and that includes every GG configuration. I shoot all of them to 500 meters way more accurate then I can the BPCR. I wish I could shoot the matches with them.
I don't know how to figure the center of gravity or where it should be for each boolit.
Bottom line is to shoot the boolit and see what it will do.

45 2.1
01-14-2008, 02:00 PM
If you shoot enough designs, lubes and powders in the 4570, you will find that the alloy and lube effect the accuracy more than the design (provided it is reasonable). Small grease grooves aren't really all that accurate either. You can shoot 290 gr. to 500 gr. boolits into some exztremely small groups if you know what to do. Specific designs will shoot in some rifles and not in others also. Boolit fit plays a very big role here unless you want to balance the alloy softness to the pressure your useing if the boolit is undersize at all.

montana_charlie
01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm currently shooting Lyman 459124; a fairly 'typical' looking bullet.
Seems most of the grooves in conventional molds are pretty good sized. BigLube molds have one or two HUGE grooves but some others (Lee, for one) offer molds with a bunch of 'micro' grooves. I understand the theory behind each. Has anyone here tried either of them or something like them?
200 yard accuracy in a .45-70 is what I'm interested in.

Thanks.
JS,
Big grooves don't make a bullet inaccurate at 200 yards, and shallow ones don't make it fly straight. There are regular groove and mini-groove designs that will both pick the heart out of a 200 yd. target, even when fired from the same rifle.

But, both shapes have been tested, and the load tuned, to the individual gun.

What very small grooves CAN do is improve the ballistics of a bullet so that it performs better...at 1000 yards.

If your 457124 is not doing well for you at 200, it is probably not the depth of the grooves that is causing your problem...
CM

JSnover
01-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks!