PDA

View Full Version : Smell when firing coated bullets?

celem
06-03-2014, 08:50 AM
I put my toe into coated bullets by purchasing some 9mm Bayou Bullets. They load easily and shoot accurately. Cleanup is the same as with FMJ. However, THE SMELL!

I shoot at an indoor range, and it has excellent ventilation, but despite that, other people in the range complain when I shoot these bullets because of the smell. They say it smells like a burning Teflon fry pan. I certainly agree with them, they do smell pretty bad.

My question is - how do the powder coated bullets smell when they are fired?

Love Life
06-03-2014, 08:53 AM
I'd tell the other people on the range that the smell is coming from their upper lip!!

Bonz
06-03-2014, 09:12 AM
I put my toe into coated bullets by purchasing some 9mm Bayou Bullets. They load easily and shoot accurately. Cleanup is the same as with FMJ. However, THE SMELL!

I shoot at an indoor range, and it has excellent ventilation, but despite that, other people in the range complain when I shoot these bullets because of the smell. They say it smells like a burning Teflon fry pan. I certainly agree with them, they do smell pretty bad.

My question is - how do the powder coated bullets smell when they are fired?

It must just be us that are shooting in North Carolina. 2 different indoor shooting ranges complaining about me shooting cast boolits because of the smoke from the lube. They didn't tell me to stop but said that I should think of the others that are shooting in the range. I am going to try the powder coated bullets to see if that works out. If not, I'll only shoot copper plated bullets at indoor ranges.

Beesdad
06-03-2014, 09:52 AM
I have not noticed any smell from the PC rounds that I have shot.... And a lot less smoke...

cs86
06-03-2014, 10:20 AM
If you can out shoot them maybe they will live with the smell and switch over :razz:

celem
06-03-2014, 09:47 PM
It's not smoke, but smell. My traditional cast bullets do smoke a lot but there is no offensive odor. However the coated Bayou Bullets don't smoke much but smell like burning plastic - specifically similar to a burning Teflon frying pan. I'm curious about this issue with the powder coated bullets that are becoming popular.

It must just be us that are shooting in North Carolina. 2 different indoor shooting ranges complaining about me shooting cast boolits because of the smoke from the lube. They didn't tell me to stop but said that I should think of the others that are shooting in the range. I am going to try the powder coated bullets to see if that works out. If not, I'll only shoot copper plated bullets at indoor ranges.

500MAG
06-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Just tell them you farted.

bangerjim
06-03-2014, 09:54 PM
I smell the standard propellant smell.

I smell the standard primer smell.

I do NOT notice any smell from powder coated boolits.

I cannot say anything about those commercial boolits you referenced.

My HF coated PC boolits do not sink.

bangerjim

btroj
06-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Only time I got odor from coated Hi-Tek coated bullets is when I under cooked them. I doubt that is the issue with yours from Bayou, they have cooked enough to get it right.

It is a definite burning plastic smell.

Handloader109
06-03-2014, 10:09 PM
The pc boolits I've shot indoors do not smell. The 20 or so alox lubed boolits, DO. I'm exclusive (at least with my reloads, to shoot pc coated indoors.

sasquatch76
06-03-2014, 10:31 PM
I smell the standard propellant smell.

I smell the standard primer smell.

I do NOT notice any smell from powder coated boolits.

I cannot say anything about those commercial boolits you referenced.

My HF coated PC boolits do not sink.

bangerjim

Same here.

NHGrumpyGramps
06-04-2014, 06:04 PM
There is definitely a plastic smell. I don't think its necessarily unpleasant but it is different from the normal powder or lube fragrances so I think people pick up on it. I was at an IDPA shoot last month and when one guy was shooting there were a couple comments about "What powder is he using?". I have been trying out some of the HITEK coating and told them it was not the powder, but the bullets. When he was done I checked and he was using Bayou bullets. It did generate some interest and discussion on this "new" cast boolit coating. I handed out a few coated bullets that I had for people to try, so I will see next shoot what the reaction is to those that tried them. I think we need to evangalize a litte since this seems to be the cutting edge here in US. I even got the interest of one caster who didn't understand why anyone would want to try this new fangled plastic stuff.

Hogdaddy
06-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Load up the BP pistols,, Let em smoke ; )
H/D

RP
06-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Are you using the same powder with all your PC loads if so try a different powder and see about the results it may be a certain combination causing the smell. Just a guess I have not noticed any smells but I shoot outdoors.

Ausglock
06-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Correctly cured HI-tek coating as used by Bayou Bullets has no odour when fired.

Gateway Bullets
06-05-2014, 10:02 AM
The only time I have heard about a plastic smell is from the end user that has not cured the product properly.

tja6435
06-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Are you using the CFE pistol powder? The smell on that burnt powder is not normal, very off smell

zomby woof
06-05-2014, 10:00 PM
The only time I have heard about a plastic smell is from the end user that has not cured the product properly.

This....

btroj
06-05-2014, 10:41 PM

Exactly my experience.

Love Life
06-05-2014, 10:50 PM
I still lay the blame on the upper lips of the other shooters.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-06-2014, 09:12 AM
+1 on the upper lip

11B-101ABN
06-09-2014, 01:13 PM
I second the fart suggestion.
Banger: How do you keep your boolits from sinking? I have tried everything, none of mine will float.

bstone5
06-09-2014, 01:24 PM
I have coated with the gold color from Bayou Bullets and these bullets do have a smell when shot.

I have coated 380 Auto and bullets for the 38 Special.

The use of powder coat does not smell, I have coated and shot thousand of powder coated bullets.

I have coated the bullets correctly and cooked the bullets properly when using the coating from Bayou Bullets. It just the way they are.

Other than the smell the coating from Bayou Bullets works fine, just as good as powder coating.

Valerko
06-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Same here. Tried coking them little longer. They do change color from green to almost brown. But plastic smell is there. I shoot mostly outside ,so no real issue
But it does smell like burning plastic.

phidelt208
10-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Are you using the CFE pistol powder? The smell on that burnt powder is not normal, very off smell

I get asked all the time about the smell and I use the above combo (CFE, and Bayou Bullets)

ghh3rd
10-08-2014, 12:37 PM
You're not shootin them boolits from one of them new fangled plastic guns are ya?

Handloader109
10-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Normal pc does not smell. I shoot mainly indoors. CFE does not have a different smell from my use either. Lee lube smokes and stinks a lot more.

bruce drake
10-10-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm in agreement with bringing a few rounds loaded with the Holy Black and cook off a few that actually do smell like rotten eggs...

Dave C.
10-11-2014, 11:44 AM
You ever hear of poly fume fever?

Dave C.

HI-TEK
10-11-2014, 06:44 PM
You ever hear of poly fume fever?

Dave C.

If I remember correctly, was described in a brochure on PTFE Data, (Teflon) safety data, as when PTFE and or Teflon was heated, it emitted nasty fumes that caused such effects aside from coughing and acrid fumes.
Years ago, Teflon coated projectiles were used.
These have not been around for a long time.

The Hi-Tek coating does not contain Teflon.

"Odours", can be a result of insufficient cure, at inadequate temperatures.

Simple facts are that if enough heat is applied to any synthetic material, it will start to decompose, and, typical odours can be generated and depending on substance.

In Europe, a commercial manufacturer uses PVC coating.
As we all know, PVC when burnt produces nasty corrosive choking gasses.
Projectiles with such coatings are continued to be used.
I have seen no one complaining about such fumes.

In other areas, for years, Moly Disulphide was the rage as a lube. The fact that burning, or heat from gun powder ignited the Moly, despite producing sulfur Dioxide, (choking irritating gas), the Moly Disulphide was continued to be used for years.

Ausglock
10-12-2014, 05:03 AM
I have fired over 100,000 commercially coated and home coated bullets. Indoor and outdoor. I have never had "burning plastic smell". Never.
Even when melting down reclaimed coated bullets, I have zero burning plastic smell. it just floats on the top of the melt.

prickett
10-20-2014, 01:46 AM
Correctly cured HI-tek coating as used by Bayou Bullets has no odour when fired.

I had a guy ask me at a local match if I was firing Bayou Bullets. I said no, but that I coated mine with the same material. He said he recognized the smell, which is why he asked.

HI-TEK
10-21-2014, 06:14 AM
I had a guy ask me at a local match if I was firing Bayou Bullets. I said no, but that I coated mine with the same material. He said he recognized the smell, which is why he asked.

Thanks for advice.
Have you discussed these matters with Bayou?
I would be interested in his responses.

prickett
10-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks for advice.
Have you discussed these matters with Bayou?
I would be interested in his responses.

No. I don't consider the smell an issue. Just a curiosity.

It appears from this thread's comments + real world experience that half the people notice a distinctive smell and half say there is no smell. I, and the person from my previous post both fall into the first category.

On a different topic, Googling Hi Tek results in a growing number of US companies now selling Hi Tek coated boolits! Congrats on your success.

HI-TEK
10-21-2014, 06:17 PM
No. I don't consider the smell an issue. Just a curiosity.

It appears from this thread's comments + real world experience that half the people notice a distinctive smell and half say there is no smell. I, and the person from my previous post both fall into the first category.

On a different topic, Googling Hi Tek results in a growing number of US companies now selling Hi Tek coated boolits! Congrats on your success.

Thank you much for your interest and kind wishes.
It certainly seems that the folks in the US like the coatings.
The demand is growing rapidly both in the US as well as world wide.
As my wife constantly is telling me, that I am an overnight success that has taken 20 plus years to get out there.
The strange thing is, that over 15 years ago, I did try to supply into the US market. No one showed any interest at all.
It seems, time changes all.
Thank you for your support.
Joe

tomme boy
10-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Was at our local range yesterday and someone was shooting some bullets they got from Bayou in a 9mm. They stunk so bad I had to leave for a little bit till he was gone. I asked him where he got them from and that was where he said. I shoot plain old lubed bullets so I know how some smell. But this was bad!

Ausglock
10-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Thank you much for your interest and kind wishes.
It certainly seems that the folks in the US like the coatings.
The demand is growing rapidly both in the US as well as world wide.
As my wife constantly is telling me, that I am an overnight success that has taken 20 plus years to get out there.
The strange thing is, that over 15 years ago, I did try to supply into the US market. No one showed any interest at all.
It seems, time changes all.
Thank you for your support.
Joe

And to your local product tester ....... :bigsmyl2:

HI-TEK
10-22-2014, 10:10 PM
And to your local product tester ....... :bigsmyl2:

Yes it is agreed, local independent tester needed to have confirmed, many aspects required to satisfy all inquiring minds.
Local producer is very grateful....:awesome::awesome::awesome:

prickett
10-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Was at our local range yesterday and someone was shooting some bullets they got from Bayou in a 9mm. They stunk so bad I had to leave for a little bit till he was gone. I asked him where he got them from and that was where he said. I shoot plain old lubed bullets so I know how some smell. But this was bad!

Come on! The smell isn't THAT bad. It just smells like fried electrical components (which isn't that stinky, unless its coming from your computer or TV!)

jwber
10-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Hi-Tek always has some smell...but I don't find it overly offensive.

I can't smell my PC bullets when firing...not sure if they have any smell.