PDA

View Full Version : Design advice for my dad's 30-06 mould (Accurate Moulds)

devinp
06-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new on the casting scene but already hooked on the whole idea of leaving jackets behind. I recently ordered two moulds from Tom at Accurate Moulds for my 45-70 — two, two cavity moulds with bullets 46-405V, 46-405VG, 46-525V, and 46-525VG incase you were curious. Unfortunately they haven't arrived yet, but from everything that I read I am sure they will be everything I am expecting them to be. Anyways, I've managed to drag my dad along with me into this new endeavour and would like to find a mould for his 30-06. The problem is I have no idea what kind of bullet design to order. I am thinking of maybe getting two different designs; one for lighter target loads and another for possibly hunting with. He mainly hunts moose with his rifle. Any suggestions?

Bigslug
06-03-2014, 01:06 AM
31-220C with the driving bands set to give you .310-.311 with your chosen alloy. The shank section is just about perfect for an '06's neck, as is its OAL. Should be all the moose drill any man would need.

geraldsd
06-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Agreed...31-220C will be like a freight train...

devinp
06-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys. Any idea what the recoil is on that load? He damaged his shoulder a while back and has been recoil sensitive ever since.

huntnman
06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
The harder you push the velocity, the more heavy the boolit, the greater the pressure will be. Witch will increase recoil.The less a firearm weighs the greater the felt recoil will be.
I've had a shoulder replacement so I have reduced projectile weight and velocity to tame recoil. For me any boolit over 180 grain at hunting load speed equals pain. The good news when fire at game I don't notice it, the bad news, sighting in, playing with hunting rounds, doesn't feel good.