PDA

View Full Version : 30 paxton

Tom R
06-02-2014, 03:24 PM
I finished up a Blackhawk in 30 paxton. I decided to try and run a 357 case through a blackout die and it looks right and chambers in the cylinder. Is there anyone with experience I am new to this necking down thing?

blikseme300
06-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Wow, Interesting cartridge the 30 Paxton. Used Google-Fu and found some interesting reading about this wild cat.

Myself and many others neck down cut-off .223 cases to form 300Blk with no problems so you should not have problems doing this.

Pictures please!

Tom R
06-03-2014, 03:26 PM
I am concerned that the die I am using is not going to work for the reamer I used. The case looks good and chambers but I can't tell if the shoulder is right. I figure I could fire form them and check
To see if thee is any difference? Could I still use these dies to reload or should I buy a neck sizing die? Any experienced wildcaters with any advice? Thanks guys.
I will try to get pics up soon

[QUOTE=blikseme300;2805, Interesting cartridge the 30 Paxton. Used Google-Fu and found some interesting reading about this wild cat.

Myself and many others neck down cut-off .223 cases to form 300Blk with no problems so you should not have problems doing this.

Pictures please![/QUOTE]

Smoke4320
06-03-2014, 03:34 PM
you could fireform all the cases
Then take a fireformed case and blacken the neck with a magic marker ..
back off the die some then start resizing.. Turn the die down a little at a time while checking the marked neck..when the marker is removed from almost all the way down the neck stop turning die down..
you now have neck sized only and not touched the shoulder....
have done this for years with 30 and 357 herrett , 7 TCU and lately 300 blkout

AbitNutz
06-03-2014, 03:37 PM
I have something very similar in my Blackhawk, 300 GNR. It's also originally a 30 carbine but uses a reformed 30-30 rifle case. It's sort of a slightly shorter 30 Herrett.

I've learned a couple of things handloading it. Neck length just doesn't matter as long as it fits.
It should headspace on the rim, not the shoulder. If you headspace on the shoulder, the case backs out and jams the cylinder.
There can be no trace of any lubricant on the case or in the chamber. Any oil or slick stuff will cause the case to back out and jam.
You can not use sizing wax. There is almost no way to get it off and the case will back out. Just use a bit of spray lube.

Make two cases, one too long that hits the case should first. The second really short so that the rim stops it. Then move the die till the shoulder hits and back it off a little till it headspaces on the rim....

Tom R
06-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Thank you . So I can still use the blackout die for all of this? Just don't go all the way down? Sorry I know this sounds stupid to some one with more experience.

Tom R
06-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Shot some light loads tonight all went well . The case did form " swell " but the shoulder is right. Thanks guys