PDA

View Full Version : I am becoming all the wiser, thanks to the 45 Colt

TybrneRyan
06-02-2014, 02:24 PM
In the endless pursuit of accuracy and enjoyment, this site has been nothing short of pure magic. Any question or idea can be discovered on all fronts of this wonderful hobby. I consider myself a rookie caster and handloader. I have only been participating in this hobby for about 10 years and always seek out the wisdom of my fellow colleagues that they have procured after decades of experience. My reloading bench is fairly bleak, with only 2 RCBS single stage presses and a lubeamatic sizer, I drooled at the possibility of obtaining a progressive. As of a few days ago, I was about to pull the trigger on a 550b until I noticed a minty mint Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 5.5" in 45 colt at my local shop. The price was right and the idea of having a hunting/packing pistol of this size and grip profile was too good to not pass up. I have two old Ruger vaqueros in 45 colt, but only shot those at close distances and general plinking. I was aware of the fact that these old vaqueros are built on the large Blackhawk frame, but didn't care to push them hard since they have the fixed sight arrangement.

My first range day with the bisley was yesterday. It shot pretty darn great! I had a couple of different cast boolits to play with ranging from 200-315 grains. I even loaded mouse fart loads to almost magnum velocities. The plethora of options in this cartridge is endless! I began thinking, was there more to learn about loading this round? Was my methods of using a RCBS carbide 3 die set the best method? I then read about the conversation of neck sizing opposed to FL and the benefits of using a steel sizer die instead of carbide due to the fact that this case is NOT STRAIGHT! You learn something new everyday right? There's also the conversation of are the RCBS Cowboy Dies really conducive to better accuracy with cast versus the other brands and how many different firearm manufacturers have different chamber dimensions and therefore may leave the cases too small in the chambers. I also read that there is the Redding 2 stage carbide die that is designed to size with the tapper intact.

In conclusion to all this discovery I have come to the realization that I don't know didly squat about revelover accuracy. The Idea of conforming the brass to fit the chamber as best as possible has greatly intrigued me. I now have a whole new perspective on how to best create loads to maximize accuracy or at least options to try. I also am more inclined to work on smaller batches of precisely worked handloads instead of how many rounds can I crank out in an hour. This cartridge has shown me that the simplest of procedures may not be as simple as I might have thought prior. Tomorrow I will start working on some of these new ideas and methods with my newly fire formed cases. I even have an old RCBS steel sizer on the way to try.

Ryan

DougGuy
06-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Very well said!

Actually, the .45 Colt case -is- straight, it's not tapered at all. It is the chamber that is tapered, the reason it is tapered is so you can get the fired cases out without having to beat them loose. Same with the .44 Magnum, it's straight, the chambers are tapered. Neck sizing works, it just needs to be sized .100" or so below the bottom of the boolit so the case provides the boolit with tension, which is equally or more important than the crimp, as they work together.

There are several crimp profiles that work good for this cartridge, the one you choose comes down to a. boolit hardness, you do not want the crimp swaging the boolit down in size inside the brass, b. seating depth, whether you do or do not seat in the crimp groove, c. power level of the load, you do not want the boolit moving forward under recoil, not even a little bit, because as seating depth changes, so does pressure and that changes point of impact on the target.

And then there are some who think outside the box, and come up with things that suit an individual's own specific ideas and needs, like this one: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201449-Question-about-type-of-crimp-required&p=2239315&viewfull=1#post2239315

For .45 Colt and .44 Magnum, I weigh every charge to the tenth of the grain, because accuracy and moreso consistency is far more important to me than productivity at the press.

TXGunNut
06-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Get your hands on some FFg or FFFg and then the real fun (and learning) begins.

madsenshooter
06-04-2014, 12:02 PM
If you shoot black or one of the substitutes in it, you'll need to be very fastidious about cleaning. The stuff will get in the nooks and crannies and cause rusting. Also, don't go too hot with your loads, the Bisley cylinder will take the hottest, the thin .45 caliber barrel doesn't. Get too hot and it will expand a bit ahead of the frame. 45 Win Mag loads are out.

TenTea
06-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Might I suggest the musings of Mr. Elmer Keith?

Reading such may open up a whole 'nuther world.