PDA

View Full Version : Dacron Fillers

Jeffreytooker
01-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Larry Gibson:

I know you advise 1 gr of dacron for a filler. In large (ie 06 and 7.5 Swiss) cases 1 gr of filler does not seem to come up to the neck without being very careful to not compress the filler. I am concerned with barrel ringing. I have cut fillers to come to the neck more definitely. The weigh about 1.8 gr. Do you see a problem with this?

Jeffrey Tooker
Paynes Ck Ca.

singleshotbuff
01-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Jeffrey,

I'm not Larry, but I've used dacron filler quite a bit, so here's my $0.02 worth.

You (in my experience) want the dacron filler to COMPLETELY occupy the space between the powder and the base of the boolit, without any significant compression, to avoid chamber ringing. The weight of the filler, I think, is pretty unimportant WITHIN REASON. Matter of fact, I never weigh my dacron, I just use enough to fill the case to the middle of the neck then let the boolit compress it LIGHTLY.

As I understand it, chamber ringing can occur if a small amount of dacron (or any filler for that matter) gets a "running start" in the case ahead of the expanding powder gases, then slams into the base ofthe boolit. A caseful will eliminate that possiblity.

Bear in mind, this is all my opinion based on my own experiences, and is worth just what you paid for it. I don't even take credit for my explanation of the ringing or how best to use dacron, I learned it from reading Ross Seyfried. He uses dacron filler and IMR-4198 in EXPENSIVE double rifles and doesn't ring chambers.

Your mileage/results may vary, please be careful.

SSB

01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not Larry either.
I think SSB pretty much nailed it as far as I understand dacron/poly fiber filler. Another thing about fillers is that in the few loads I've used dacron filler I haven't been able to predict how much they will increase pressure in the various applications... straight walled case vs bottle necked.... slow powder vs fast powder, etc.... but filler does increase pressure in all instances! Start at the suggested start loads with fillers and work up accordingly.

jonk
01-14-2008, 10:16 AM
I never held with dacron, but if you do use it I would agree- make sure it fills the case, regardless of weight.

Pepe Ray
01-14-2008, 04:01 PM
If you please;
The secret is LOFT.
Padded, rolled, or any type of Poly fill is denser than what you want for case filler.
You must "fluff" it up or expand it. Be "cheap". Make as little of it go as far as you can.
The idea of keeping the powder next to the flash hole does NOT require that the top end of the powder column be perpendicular to the case wall. It only needs to have its bottom be at the flash hole. As the fire arm assumes a horizontal position the powder at the front end will not flow to the boolet, but be retained by the "fluffed up" poly.
Jamming a wad of poly down on the powder to "keep it there" is asking for trouble.
And yes, this was gleaned from the great Mr. Seifried.
Part, maybe most, of R.S. literary talent was his ability to make the most complex procedures crystal clear. I wish I had his complete published works.
Pepe Ray