PDA

View Full Version : .223 question

KCcactus
06-01-2014, 12:33 PM
I recently finished assembling my first AR. It has a New Frontier polymer lower, with their steel parts kit. The buffer, tube and spring are DPMS, plus a Mako stock. The upper is a DPMS lo-pro flat-top slick sided with a 5.56 chamber and 1-9" twist 16" bull barrel. It isn't on there yet, but I will use a red-dot sight while I decide what it will end up with. I know we all like pictures, so here it is.

I have a Lee Bator mold, checks, dies and some brass. What I don't have are SR primers or suitable powder. I've seen some threads mentioning using SP primers with pistol powders in .223, but not much detail. The search feature says it can't find the term "223". My question is, will anything I do have on hand work for plinking loads for .223?

The only small primers I have are pistol primers. I have some Unique, old 2400 and Accurate #5. I also have some IMR 4064.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-01-2014, 12:52 PM
The search feature says it can't find the term "223"
I try to use two or three unique words for a search...since you mention the Bator as well as AR, both of those should lead you to specific threads for info for 223 that should help you the most.

I typed in "Bator AR" and got 413 CB links. A quick search of the first 10 links, I chose this one as a very good one for you.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?44322-Bator-223-Pics-anyone

ourflat
06-09-2014, 05:24 PM
1680 or AR Comp seem to be a good powder for your gun. I would use Winchester or CCI small rifle primers.

Happy shooting!

Frank

Finster101
06-11-2014, 12:16 PM
I had a problem when mounting my red dot. With the flat top upper it was simply just too low for me to get a decent sight picture, I would have to move around to see the dot. A buddy had a 1" riser and that solved the problem but I hated the riser. Primary Arms has an optic with a see thru riser built in that looks good and works very well.

leadman
06-11-2014, 01:01 PM
I would find some small rifle primer, especially if you decide to run at higher velocity with the 4064. Not sure if you can get a load to function with 2400, and definitely no functioning with Unique .
If you can find the Wolf 223 primers these work very well. I have used CCI and Win small rifle also with no problems in the AR.
I have shot the Bator well over 3,000 fps coated with Hi-Tek coating in my AR.

Gunnut 45/454
06-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Don't use SP primers! It's a rifle! If your going to go cast bullets and get full function your going to use enough powder to be well into DANGEROUS pressures with SP primers! Unless you don't like your eyes then by all means press on. My cast load for MY AR is 18.7 gr IMR 4895 with the Lyman 55 gr bullet IE 62 gr with my alloy. You have to achieve atleast 30-35,000 PSI to get full function in a AR. Generally pistol powders are to fast and don't generate enough gas pressure in safe pressure curves to get full function!

brotherdarrell
06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I have used Win small pistol primers in both bolt guns and my AR's using 3031 and 4895 with not a single issue. Quite frequently loads with pistol primers will outshoot loads with rifle primers. I have seen nothing yet that would lead me to have any concern about using small pistol primers. And I get full function with the AR, with heavier recoil spring and heavier recoil buffer.

If this is a dangerous practice a full explanation would be appreciated. "YOUR GONNA SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT KID" isn't good enough.

Darrell

dkf
06-11-2014, 03:47 PM
In order to get loads that will cycle the rifle you have no choice but to use rifle powders and small rifle primers. If you are making subsonic mouse fart rounds and using the rifle as a single shot well them you can get by with a pistol powder.

SSGOldfart
06-11-2014, 03:58 PM
back in the early 80's the military was cutting back due to lack of funds we couldn't get extra ammo for training so I started loading 22 cal.lead pellets in a neck sized cases with just a small magnum pistol primers, this load function the mil.spec M-16's very well I did drill out the flash hole on a hand full of cases, flip the pellets over back wards and seat them flush with your thumb, we got some really good groups out to 20 and 25 yards[smilie=b: