PDA

View Full Version : Little Dandy

Ben
05-31-2014, 09:27 PM
I shoot a lot of 2400 in the 308 Win. and the 30-06 Springfield.

I usually shoot somewhere in the vicinity of 17 grs. of 2400 with gas checked , cast bullets in the neighborhood of 150 - 190 grs. in both the 308 W. and the 30-06. This load will often times deliver great accuracy in both rounds.

I ordered an RCBS #21 rotor for my RCBS Little Dandy. The chart says it will throw 17.0 grs. of 2400.

When the rotor arrived from MidWay, I cleaned the new rotor with brake cleaner to remove all traces of oil.
Once clean, I rubbed a thin film of graphite on the rotor.
I put the rotor into the Little Dandy and filled up the Little Dandy with 2400 powder.

I began throwing charges. The rotor with my lot of 2400 threw 17.2 grs.
I was amazed at the consistency of 10 straight throws.

You can charge a lot of cases fast with this system and the system CANNOT get out of adjustment. If you're changing powder charges every 30 minutes, the RCBS Little Dandy with rotor cost of $12 ea. may not be for you ? ( All 26 rotors will cost you $312 ) However, if you're like me and you've settled on a " pet load " that you really like, you'll be able to easily afford the RCBS Little Dandy system and a few rotors.

Ben

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/PICT0001_zps7002a738.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/PICT0001_zps7002a738.jpg.html)

As you can see below, the Little Lee C press is good for a lot of things including being a nice powder measure stand :

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/PICT0002_zpsc66744c0.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/PICT0002_zpsc66744c0.jpg.html)

texassako
05-31-2014, 10:00 PM
I really like fixed rotor measures like that, but I have a penchant for causing myself grief by getting the no longer available ones. One of these days I need to break down and upgrade to a Little Dandy. I could then take down my homemade chart for 3 different measures telling me such things as what the homemade rotors marked for 5066 powder throw in something available, or what my Pacific rotors drop in powders other than Bullseye.

rking22
05-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Love mine, I have 2 always set up. Been using one for over 25years. One of my most used measures. Always looking for more rotors to fill out the set or even tweak for a special load. I was using it for RE7 loads before they put it on the chart, shot really well in a 223 contender!

mac60
05-31-2014, 11:16 PM
I've never had that happen. They're usually close, but never right on. In my experience, charges are usually a few tenths light. You're right though Ben, in a few minutes you can have 50 cases charged and ready to go.

Airman Basic
05-31-2014, 11:34 PM
Bought one and 26 rotors 30+ years ago. Hate to replace them now, though, kinda scary prices.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/763339/rcbs-little-dandy-powder-measure-rotor-8

Three44s
05-31-2014, 11:35 PM
I acquired one reasonably priced a while back ......... have not used it yet but I have been yearning for one for several years. Need more rotors before I can get in earnest with it though.

Good to hear what I have to look forward to though!

Three 44s

Riverpigusmc
06-01-2014, 10:45 AM
I bought an adjustable rotor for mine from a guy that goes by Bailey Boats. Just use the little tool he includes and adjust the insert in or out as needed, check the weight it's throwing and load. About 40 bucks

Three44s
06-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I've seen those for sale.

About 4 rotors at todays prices would pay for it ......... the downside is you could set it wrong but probably happen less than the number of rotors that don't quite throw as advertised.

I have been thinkin' on them!

Three 44s

Ben
06-01-2014, 02:05 PM
I bought an adjustable rotor for mine from a guy that goes by Bailey Boats. Just use the little tool he includes and adjust the insert in or out as needed, check the weight it's throwing and load. About 40 bucks

Yes, I have a Bailey Boats adjustable rotor.

Not cheap, but then again, it doesn't cost $312 either.

Ben

fatnhappy
06-02-2014, 09:37 AM
You'd be hard pressed to try and pry away my little dandy. I think I have all but 5 of the rotors. They just accumulated. The rotor have a tapped thread hole on the side which I believe is 10-24. (Please don't quote me, I'm at work and can't double check) . I made a 3" long handle which I bolt to the rotor. It's weighted on the end so all I do is flick it upwards. It throws the powder and comes to rest in the dump position.

Ben
06-02-2014, 10:06 AM
fatnhappy

Can you provide a photo of that, I'm interested.

Ben

Green Frog
06-02-2014, 04:53 PM
I may have posted on this before... I bought a Little Dandy™ many years ago when the retail on each rotor was about $3.95 or so. I was able to pick up a bunch at 1/2 of that, so I ultimately had #1-26. Then I decided recently to pick up the #0 & #00 to complete the set, and probably paid about 1/2 as much for them as the rest of the set! :shock: The funny thing is, I have only used about a half dozen of them total in all these years, but that's just the way I do things. I really like mine, but I think I like the late, lamented Lyman Accu-Measure™ even better. Would that I could buy a set of rotors for my old Pacific Pistol Measure, since it was really designed to drop tiny loads, which would make it great for my 32 S&Ws.

Froggie

Airman Basic
06-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Same here. I bought all the rotors decades ago, but really only used a select few, while the others sit quietly in a 25 round 20 gauge box plastic MTM Case-Gard box. Good way to store them, BTW. For some reason, #14 and Unique are used more than any other. Noticed just now that half of the rotors still have the glue that held their paper tags. Crazy.

32Cal
06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
I have 2 Little Dandys and about 12 rotors. Just curious if anyone has used a white crayon or colored marker to be able to read the rotor sizes better. I have a hard time seeing which one I have in the measure. I like the idea of getting the 20g ammo box to store them in

Jim

Green Frog
06-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Yeah, the 20 ga box is perfect, but you come up with 3 leftover rotors if you have a complete set running from 00 to 26. That just hurts my sensibilities! When there were only 26 you could store one installed in the measure and put the rest in a 20 ga MTM box, but now... :oops:

I like the idea of putting white highlights of some sort into the markings. I never seem to have as much light as my tired old eyes need to pick them out quickly.

Froggie

PS - Plano™ makes a 20 ga box that is the same outside size as their 12 ga box, so there is a trough down the right side. One could put the extra 3 rotors in that box with no problems... there's even room for a Bailey Boats adjustable and a couple more! :D

fatnhappy
06-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Old welder's trick. Rub chalk into the rotor stamp.

I'll get you a picture ASAP Ben. Please don't hold me to your photographic standards.

fatnhappy
06-03-2014, 01:02 PM
...BTW I have extra rotors for a couple of the numbers because I can never remember which ones I need. They're absolutely perfect for tossing charges of red dot or 2400 in rifle cases for CBs.

David2011
06-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Not sure if they're available any more but the markers used to keep raised white letters on tires make good fillers for stamping and engraving. Back when they were available in white and gold. China Markers (grease pencils) will work as well. Either will last a long time if not exposed to solvents. I think Brownell's sells a gold filler marker.

David.

kenyerian
06-04-2014, 11:08 PM
I have two Little dandies and most of the rotors. Use them quite a bit.

tmc-okc
06-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Up until a year or two ago I only reloaded for two different pistol calibers. That is until my son & grandson enticed me to start casting boolits for their handguns and now I am reloading for 6 different pistol calibers. The Lil Dandy measure was just fine with 3-4 rotors until I got snookered by my son & grandson.. I bought an Adjustable rotor from Bailey Boats and now have the capability of just about any charge for any pistol cartridge and I don't have to settle for it throwing + - .02 grains..

Ron

EDG
06-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I have all of the rotors from 1 to 26 except for 19 and 21.
I got most of them used at gun shows or in swaps and paid somewhere around $1 each for most of them.

The good thing about the Little Dandy is - they seem to get discarded by some users and can be purchased
often for less than $20. If you have a spare or two you can leave them set up for your most popular applications.

One of my Little Dandys is left set up with rotor 26 which is used for cast bullet loads in 2 different cast bullet rifles.

I find the easiest way to use it is to put larger rifle cases in a Flambeau Twin 60 loading block.
Then I move the Little Dandy from case to case. It goes very fast.

Reloader270
06-12-2014, 12:30 PM
I also have the Little Dandy and like is for easy pistol powder charging. Excellent tool!