PDA

View Full Version : Bullet/boolit deflector for M1 Garand?

roverboy
05-31-2014, 06:03 PM
I wondered if anybody knew of a bullet deflector for a M1 Garand? One that would not alter the rifle in any way.

country gent
05-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Thats going to be a tricku part, Ive never seen one. Several triats of the garand make this hard to accomplish. 1) is the top loading en bloc of ammo. 2) is the ejection pattern itself, Garands eject up and right slightly forward of the shooter, 3) the shape of the op rod hump operation. Ejection can be adjusted through polishing the extractor, reangling the ejector and possibly lighting its spring, Also an adjustable gas plug will help to tone done ejection. My garand in 308 puts empty cases right infront of my shooting stool on the line. It dosnt have the ported or adjustable gas plug. My M1As with adjustable gas plugs drop brass at my right elbow when prone. As an aside my Model 70 match rifle during a rapid fire stage puts brass behind the shooters feet to my right.

BruceB
05-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Bullet deflector????? I HOPE you mean "case deflector", which is the meaning Country Gentleman took from your question.... but then again you mention both boolit and bullet.

Please clarify the question.

MtGun44
05-31-2014, 08:49 PM
"bullet deflector"????

Please explain.

Bill

roverboy
06-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Yeah, sorry about that. I wrote this thread in a hurry and must've had a brain fart. I did mean case deflector. Is there a way to fix the thread?

Lead Fred
06-01-2014, 08:00 AM
No there is not, it would be in the line of sight of the sights

roverboy
06-01-2014, 08:28 AM
No there is not, it would be in the line of sight of the sights

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I really didn't think that any company made one. Its just that I lose some of my brass every time I shoot it.

StratsMan
06-01-2014, 09:49 AM
I came up with a 'field expedient' case deflector the last time I was out shooting Garands... Mind you, this assumes you're shooting from a rest, on a bench... I free up my left hand and grab a paper plate. (I use them for targets, so I always have them...) Assume the shooting position, and hold the plate just over the sights and off to the right of the gun. Pull trigger. Assuming the case hit the plate, I note where the brass went and use my Mark-I-Adjustable wrist to change the angle of the plate so the brass goes where I want it. Preferably just behind and right of my shooting position.

No, I didn't catch every case... and when I shot offhand, well, I was outta luck... but I believe my case retrieval percentage improved...

Hardcast416taylor
06-01-2014, 10:13 AM
About 20 years or so ago some friends of mine (yes, I do have some friends) got M-1`s thru the CMP. They also were losing cases each time they shot the rifles on their backyard range. Finally a bright idea dawned on one of them to buy a cheap metal detector at a yard sale to assist in finding the lost cases. Worked pretty good in finding cases that were hiding in the grass.Robert

Dan Cash
06-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Bird netting from the orchard/nursery supply draped over a pvc pipe frame will snag and drop 99% of all cases hitting it. Drape the netting so there is a double layer, fasten with plastic cable ties. Place stand where the bras is flying.

ph4570
06-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I would find the source of the flying bras rather than the destination :-)

Hardcast416taylor
06-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Then again there is always the infamous "Gangsta" style of holding the firearm upside down so the empties drop at your feet!LOLRobert

lefty o
06-02-2014, 12:10 PM

the source is easy , M1's chuck brass about 10ft in front of the gun at about the 2 o'clock position. put out a tarp, should catch 99% of the brass.

David2011
06-02-2014, 03:13 PM

Absolutely worthy of investigation.

David

country gent
06-02-2014, 03:24 PM
A garand ussually drops 7 rounds around 2:00 then the 8 seems to follow the clip to a more 3:00/4:00 area.. Watch the hump on the op rod for light brass smears as sometimes the rod hits the empty case goingforward due to timing

roverboy
06-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Thanks everybody. I think I'll just get a tarp around 6'-8' square and see if I can catch at least most of it.

kywoodwrkr
06-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Mosquito netting is very good as mentioned above(tree netting actually but very similar).
I bought some on e-Bay. Dealer would even sew panels together to make bigger ones.
Back up is obsolete sheets.
I position myself so ejected cases end up close to middle of sheet/netting.

JHeath
06-06-2014, 11:32 PM
I found a boolit deflector for your Garand:

lefty o
06-07-2014, 12:59 AM

i dont think he was lookin for a boolit deflector, but if oyu shot from prone underneath it, im pretty sure it would function as a case deflector also. fairly expensive solution to the problem, but workable.

WallyM3
06-07-2014, 01:12 AM

Ya' know that thing actually runs!?!

rondog
06-07-2014, 02:49 AM
Ya' know that thing actually runs!?!

I'd hope so! That would be a mother to push.....