View Full Version : Black Powder for Pietta 1858 New Army

1winnen
05-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Hi. I'm looking for opinions and just one go to 3f black powder for my Pietta 1858. My choices are Garf, Goex, Swiss and Olde Eynsford black Powder.

Fly
05-31-2014, 06:18 PM
It is in what you want to spend.Swiss would be the top powder, but
the most exspence.Goex I have used for many years.I can't comment
on the others, but if it were me, Goex is very good powder.

Fly

Hickory
05-31-2014, 06:21 PM
I've used them all, sorta lean towards Goex.
Another good one was Elephant, but I haven't seen that powder in years.

1winnen
05-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks. I have to admit finding the Goex locally at $19.95 per 1lb is better then me driving 1 1/2 hours to buy Swiss. Besides that it's what I've seen Mike Beliveau using in all of his videos. Thanks again

fouronesix
05-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Seriously in a C&B revolver the cheaper the better.... unless of course you are looking for MOA long range :kidding:

The thing about revolvers is continuous firing and jamming up. So that calls for the right lube and a soft fouling powder. Graf powder which is German Sheutzen seems to produce fairly soft fouling and is one of the least expensive. Just saying

Fly
05-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Seriously in a C&B revolver the cheaper the better.... unless of course you are looking for MOA long range :kidding:

The thing about revolvers is continuous firing and jamming up. So that calls for the right lube and a soft fouling powder. Graf powder which is German Sheutzen seems to produce fairly soft fouling and is one of the least expensive. Just saying
Heck nothing to add great reply.But I never shot Graf.Shoot my own just (it,s unknow! (wink);)

Fly

Nobade
06-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Yep, they all work fine. I also use homemade, it works just as well and since revolvers tend to use a lot of it, it's way cheaper.

-Nobade

rodwha
06-01-2014, 11:21 AM
It really depends on what your use is. Paper doesn't mind what sent the projectile down range. For that I'd use what was easily accessible and inexpensive.

On the flip side it's possible you may need less of a more energetic powder to create the same situation as the lower energy powder.

Grafs sells Olde Eynsford for $1 more a pound that standard Goex. It's more than worth it to me, but I also intend to hunt with mine, and so I demand .45 Colt performance from mine, and you can't expect that from standard Goex powder.

bones92
06-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Now don't laugh, but I've been using Pyrodex RS in my 1858 New Army (Pietta) for years, and it seems to work just fine. But I'm still looking forward to trying some Holy Black in it someday.

Good Cheer
06-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Jacks Battle.
Real powder for real people.
The people's powder at the people's prices.
Powder to the people.
Peace love boom.

John Boy
06-08-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm looking for opinions and just one
Buy the cheapest because a cap & ball revolver out to 25 yds doesn't know the powder charge difference
I shoot extensively 6 C&B's including the Model 1858 and they all shoot the same with any brand of 3F powder charge. Save your money for primers - if you can find them!

Nobade
06-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Jacks Battle.
Real powder for real people.
The people's powder at the people's prices.
Powder to the people.
Peace love boom.

[smilie=l:

farmallcrew
06-14-2014, 04:24 PM
I shoot Goex and Triple 7 subsitute in all my BP guns. Both do fine. But i think the Goex smokes a little more, so if you like smoke go wih Goex.