PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 44

Digital Dan
05-31-2014, 04:39 PM
Foolin' around with intention of shooting something and finally got to build some loads for my Stevens. With any luck at all I'll hit the paper...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/Firstloads44_zpscfc2e8e6.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/Firstloads44_zpscfc2e8e6.jpg.html)

Bertram brass, 1.625", CCI 500, 18 gr Swiss 1.5 FG, Walters .030" fiber wad, Ideal 257283 30:1 alloy. .040" compression, COAL 2.040", SPG lube.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4495_zpsa22a705f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/DSCN4495_zpsa22a705f.jpg.html)

Chill Wills
05-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Looks like fun to me. I see a good many 44 actions in 25-20 SS. Is yours the factory bore of is it lined? From over two thousands miles away it looks to be a very nice rifle. If that is the original color I am extra impressed!
Michael Rix

Digital Dan
05-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks for that. It is original, including the small crack in the fore end and a minor but not apparent modification to provide for a palm rest. Otherwise, about 90%+ condition. Bore is original and in very good condition. I am hopeful this one will shoot and plan to find out fairly soon.

mazo kid
06-01-2014, 02:06 PM
I have had a Stevens 44 in 25-20SS for many years and have never got around to loading ammo for it. I had picked up a few rounds here and there so do have brass. I have been told that the scarcity of 25-20SS brass is the result of a very popular wildcat cartridge that was formed from that brass several years ago.

Digital Dan
06-02-2014, 12:43 PM
That would be the 2R-Lovell as I recall. I have new brass from 3 sources: Bčrtram, RMC and Jamison. Think the only current production comes from Bertram via BACO.

Bent Ramrod
06-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Captech International has taken over the Jamison Brass production and offers .25-20 SS brass. It's well worth getting some and shooting the caliber.

Don't feel bad about that forend crack, DD. It could almost be classified as the "Official Stevens Crack," as it appears in so many examples (and has been repaired in so many more). (The "Official Ballard Crack" occurs at the ten or two o'clock position on the buttstock, behind the tang.):mrgreen:

I'll be interested in seeing the groups you get. Stevens barrels were noted for their accuracy and most in the small calibers were shot out by corrosive primers and early smokeless powders. My only pristine barrel 44 in .25 caliber was set back and rechambered for the .25-20 Repeater cartridge. It shoots well, but I always wonder what it would do in the original chambering.

Digital Dan
06-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info re: Jamison Brass. The 100 ct sample I have is quite good.

Not worried about the crack and will eventually fashion a palm rest for it. Looking forward to shooting it, but it will be a few weeks in any case.

Digital Dan
06-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Went to the range yesterday. It was educational to say the least.

Spent a little time figuring buckhorn sight geometry and with the use of handy reference marks on the targets I determined the following so far as elevation goes. Visual bore sight on top 6" bull and centered, notch and blade viewed fine was dead on...the lower bull. Top of the horns with a coarse hold view of the blade, above the top bull. All in all, the POA difference was about 18" at 50 yards with the gun static. Presumably the POI would follow. Put a mid height crosswire on the buckhorn and you might could call it a buckhorn vernier? It's more art than function unless I start chasin' prairie dogs at 300 or so yards.

So, I took a moment and bore sighted the vernier, loaded up and took careful aim off the rest. It was a symphony of sound!

"Click"
"Click"
"Click"

Just the slightest kiss of pin on the primer on two rounds so I bagged it all up and went to my research facility. I hated having to break down the loads pictured above, but I did. In the process of doing so I glared at my loading press long enough to pause and examine the primer seating ram. Then I remembered the flat ram that was installed, this being the first time since around '78 because it tended to flatten the primers upon seating.

Why did I not throw that away?

Anyway, rounds broken down, primers punched out and I took the last two cases to re-prime and test. The SRP barked loudly, spat sparks and I smiled. The SPP was slightly less boisterous and provided no fireworks. The flat faced primer ram is in the trash can, replaced in perpetuity by the cupped face version.

The second thing I learned from the experience had to do with the strength of the primer cups of the two different styles. This was something I'd never had cause to examine in the past though I have used SPP in small capacity CF cases in the past...without a lot of success.

The firing pin of the Stevens is of fairly large diameter. I printed the SRP fairly if slightly off center. There was little else remarkable about its appearance. The SPP on the other hand was deeply dented and flowed back over the pin slightly, this without powder in the case. I was somewhat surprised by that development.

I don't think I'll try the SPP again. Back to the bench, I got some ammo to load.