PDA

View Full Version : A good lesson in ballistics

Archey
05-31-2014, 01:13 PM
I installed a new one pin sight on my compound bow this morning and headed out to the back yard to sight it in. My two boys (6 and 8 years old) tagged along eager to "help" dad sight it in. This is the slide adjustable type of sight that should be good out past 60 yards or so for 3D archery shoots. We had to mark the slide with yardage marks for 20, 30, 40 yards etc.. Adjusting for windage and elevation at each yardage mark, I explained to the boys what I was doing and why. This led to some excellent questions and conversation on ballistics. The boys were fascinated with the idea of how fast an arrow will drop in just a short distance. We had a basic physics lesson on the force of gravity, velocity, discussed minute of angle, all sorts or related topics came up. Once I had the bow pretty much sighted in, we went back to 20 yards. I shot an arrow at the target with the sight at the lowest mark, dead on. I then steeped back 10 yards and shot another without moving the sight. I repeated this out to 50 yards. The boys really liked looking at all the arrows in the target, in a line starting at the bullseye going down with the last one at the very bottom edge of the target. I loved all the questions and seeing light bulbs turn on in their minds. Never miss a good teaching moment.

fastfire
05-31-2014, 01:22 PM
;)Seeing is believing, bet the boys will not forget that lesson

osteodoc08
05-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Awesome. Gotta love those teachable moment for young minds to readily absorb and think you're the coolest dad ever.

I've got a Mathews ZX7 Xtreme that has one of those type sights on it. I love it.

Chill Wills
05-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Bright kids just keep asking more questions!
Smart dads keep the answers open ended.
Sounds like this is a regular occurrence around your place.
Good job. More kids should be raised like this! :awesome:
-Chill Wills

Forty Rod Ray
05-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Sight in with your kids today and you won't hunt for them tomorrow....

With apologies to the great American shooter, Herb Parsons