PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!! Sight Issues On My 45-70 1895G

devinp
05-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Hey Everyone,

I recently put a Skinner Alaskan Gold peep on my Marlin (it looks fantastic) only to find that I can't get the front sight low enough to get it sighted in properly. The front sight is a two screw ramp with a dovetail. Even after switching out the factory front sight for the Skinner provided one and filing it still doesn't shoot even remotely close to on target. I payed a good chunk change for the sight and need to get it functional prior to hunting season so that I can work up my loads. PLEASE HELP!!

Djones
05-31-2014, 12:32 PM
How tall is your filed down front sight from the top of the barrel. Got any pics of your new front sight, that would help us help you.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Valley-Shooter
05-31-2014, 12:40 PM
How much have you filed the front sight down?

I put a Skinner sight and front sight on my 45/70 Guide Gun a couple weeks ago. Went to the range and it was shooting way low at 50 yards. Maxed out the rear sight elevation. Still to low. I forgot my file so I couldn't make a front sight adjustment. Took some notes on bullet impact and figured I need to lower the front sight .048 inch to get it right. Also need to lower the rear sight a bit and take that much off the front sight. I'll probably get around to it soon. I'll take my time and put the gun in a vise to file down the front sight and use my dial caliper to measure. I'll go back to range, shoot again and make more adjustments.

Read this from Skinners website:

MAKE IT SIMPLE

To move the impact at 100 yards on a Marlin rifle with a 20" barrel requires .006" of sight change. (front or rear)

For example:

If you are shooting 6" low at 100 yards, your front sight needs to be "Trimmed" .036" shorter or the rear stem turned up 1 1/2 turns.

If you are shooting 6" high at 100 yards your front sight needs to be .036" taller or the rear stem turned down 1 1/2 turns. (If your stem is already at the lowest position a taller front sight is required)

If you are shooting at a shorter range than 100 yards adjust accordingly.

50 yards = 2 times the change needed. (.012" for 1" correction)
25 yards = 4 times the change needed. (.024" for 1" correction)

skinnersights.com/technical_info (http://www.skinnersights.com/technical_info_17.html)

ReloaderFred
05-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Contact the maker of the sight. I'm sure they've run into this before. I have an XS peep sight on my 1895 hunting rifle, and they were supplied with a plastic front sight for sighting in. Once the sight was filed to the right height, I called the maker and told them the measurement and they sent me the permanent front sight, per the instructions. Worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Fred

devinp
05-31-2014, 01:22 PM
I don't have any pictures at the moment as my gun is stored out of town at my parents place. I will try and get some pictures as well as some information regarding what it is shooting at.

MT Chambers
05-31-2014, 10:32 PM
When I ordered Skinner sights for my Marlin, their info showed that I needed a certain height front sight to match, so I ordered it and it wasn't even close.....so i tried diff. front sights I had hangin' round, until I found one that worked.....I still like their peeps however!