PDA

View Full Version : Any archers around here, help price a Bill Stewart bow.

.45Cole
05-31-2014, 11:34 AM
So I've had a bow for a while that I've shot with a friend. Every once in a while someone will comment on it. It's a Bill Stewart Signature Multicam T/D with a 20" riser and has 62" 57#@29" limbs. It was made in '86. I didn't really want the bow, but I bought it from a guy who talked himself down to $60, from $220:shock:. I'm not looking to sell it, just need see how closely I should watch it when I'm out. Thanks in advance!

Cornbread
05-31-2014, 11:50 AM
Those are the recurves and longbows that look like the limbs are warped but he designed them that way. Bill died in 2002 or 2003 and I think his son makes them now? If that is one of his originals the bow is not replaceable and depending on condition could be worth a lot of money as Bill helped pioneer the sport of archery with the likes of Fred Bear. New ones start at around $500 or $600 from whoever is making them now using his original plans. So if it is one from after he died made by the next guy and is in great condition it is probably worth $250 - $350. Used custom bows generally sell for just under half of their new price regardless of age if they are still being made. Here is more on Bill if you want to know:
http://www.w4wc.org/bill_stewart/about.htm

starmac
05-31-2014, 12:46 PM
I don't know much about bows, but isn't multicams found on compound bows, instead of recurves or longbows??

.45Cole
05-31-2014, 02:59 PM
The bow is an original from 1986, signed by Bill Stewart. The multicam design is a bend (http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/pics/00small74716165.JPG) in the limb, on the original curvature of the limb itself. It kinda looks like the gentle curve of the limb has a bend in it.

waynem34
05-31-2014, 03:12 PM
Wow!Now I need to see it.Ive always liked the recurve bows.Yours sounds like a nice one.Also sounds like it should go in the safe with the rest.

.45Cole
05-31-2014, 04:08 PM
You can get a good idea of the overall look
and the specs of the bow
and here you can see ever so gently the curve in/out on the arc of the limb that defines the multicam

Cornbread
05-31-2014, 05:37 PM
Yeah that is an original by him. It is one of those things that the value would be set by what a collector is willing to pay for it. It isn't replaceable. i would say you got the deal of the century by picking it up for $60, it is easily worth 10 times that and to the right collector possibly more.

starmac
05-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Interesting design, you learn something every day.

.45Cole
05-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Thanks Cornbread, guess I'll have to keep my eye on it when I take it out, and maybe look into getting something else to go out with.
Starmac, I thought the bow was bent when I first bought it and that's why the guy went down so much. The guy who sold it had an article from a bow magazine describing the bow (I think it might be the same bow from the article) and as I read it made sense. The extra bend acts like a second spring on the already recurved limb, and gets you a little more uumph.
And tears your fingers up a little more:violin:

GaryN
06-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Cornbread has it right on what bows normally sell for. If it were me I would probably just shoot it. Unless it didn't shoot good for me. Whatever you do you made out good.