PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a particular article on reloading

David2011
05-30-2014, 02:39 PM
About 3 years ago I read a lengthy paper, I believe on the Internet, on things that mattered and things that only marginally mattered for producing accurate handloads. For some inexplicable reason I didn't save a copy and have not been able to find it again. It may not be the gospel but it was thought provoking. Some of the points that stick out in my mind in the article:

Charge weight +/- a tenth or so is adequate as that is the one thing that is the most consistent in shooting/reloading
The way the powder drops/packs into the case had considerable effect on consistency and a drop tube made for more consistent loads
The writer carried some handloads in his truck for a while to see if the powder would settle and have the same effect as a long drop tube

If this sounds familiar to anyone a link or reference would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

OuchHot!
05-30-2014, 02:52 PM
If it wasn't directly cast boolit specific, it could have been by John Barnsness.....the twentyfour hour campfire site used to have some of his articles in the header. He publishes in several wolf and other mags as well. He has done some recent meanderings on how functional some reloading techniques are.

ReloaderFred
05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
How about Varmint Al's site: http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm

I'm constantly using his method for restoring dies that have started to scratch.

Hope this helps.

Fred

David2011
05-30-2014, 05:01 PM
If it wasn't directly cast boolit specific, it could have been by John Barnsness.....the twentyfour hour campfire site used to have some of his articles in the header. He publishes in several wolf and other mags as well. He has done some recent meanderings on how functional some reloading techniques are.

He's a good source. I believe he published an article in Handloader 2-3 years ago about the virtues of finding one load that works reasonably well in all of your rifles of that chambering and spend the the time saved on R&D for each rifle on learning to shoot better. He also minimized the benefits of some of the more advanced (i.e. benchrest-esque) techniques like primer pocket uniforming, flash hole uniforming and neck turning in favor of more trigger time.

David2011
05-30-2014, 06:19 PM
How about Varmint Al's site: http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm

I'm constantly using his method for restoring dies that have started to scratch.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Thanks, Fred. That's a good article but unfortunately not the one I'm hunting. The tip on polishing reloading dies is worth a lot. I don't recall teh article I'm looking for having pictures. IIRC it was just a lot of text. It wasn't as definitive as 'Secrets of the Houston Warehouse' but it was equally interesting. I did think far enough ahead to save a copy of the Houston Warehouse story.

David