PDA

View Full Version : Some powders in stock at Cabelas

tommag
05-30-2014, 01:05 PM
I was in the Post Falls, Id. Cabelas yesterday, and they had a few Hodgdon powders in stock. H4895, h4350, and maybe 4 others on the shelf. Price was about $28, I didn't pay too much attention, as I don't really need anything they had at the moment. Maybe things are easing up a bit.

MUSTANG
05-30-2014, 03:45 PM
I went into the Kalispell Cabelas Outpost yesterday and they had about a dozen 1 Lb. bottles of IMR-4895 on the shelf at $30.00 each. I passed on them at that price.

sig2009
06-02-2014, 10:55 AM
I went into the Kalispell Cabelas Outpost yesterday and they had about a dozen 1 Lb. bottles of IMR-4895 on the shelf at $30.00 each. I passed on them at that price.

I pass on that powder all together. Has to be one of the worst metering powders in a Dillon!

LynC2
06-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Things must be improving, as I saw powder at 2 different gunshops a few days ago which included some Aliant and IMR which I haven't seen in over 2 years around here!

fecmech
06-02-2014, 07:38 PM
The guys at our club were talking over the weekend that one of the local stores at some of the shotshell powders in stock at $30/lb. I told them they were crazy to buy it at that price. With shotshell components where they are (shot = $43/bag, primers $30/1000) adding in powder at $30/lb makes loading 12 or 20 ga target loads $5.88/box! A number of stores sell 12 and 20 ga promo ammo at $59/ case. Why would you want to load to save 12 cents?

BruceB
06-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I've wondered about the practicality of loading shotshells for years, given the low prices for loaded rounds at Walmart etc.

HOWEVER.... this is the Cast Boolit board, and many, repeat: many of those shotshell powders (even at $30 per pound) are eminently satisfactory in thousands of different load combinations with cast bullets.

Given the current state of upheaval in our supply chain, I would absolutely leap at buying a few pounds of shotshell powder.... 1000 to 2000 handgun rounds PER POUND are not outside the realm of possibility.

These days, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do..... if he wants to keep shooting.

fecmech
06-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Given the current state of upheaval in our supply chain, I would absolutely leap at buying a few pounds of shotshell powder.... 1000 to 2000 handgun rounds PER POUND are not outside the realm of possibility.
I agree with you completely for CB shooting if you're out of powder. The guys I was talking to are shotshell reloaders, they wouldn't know a CB if it bit them in the butt.

zidave
06-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I've wondered about the practicality of loading shotshells for years, given the low prices for loaded rounds at Walmart etc.

I've always wondered this myself.

MT Chambers
06-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I hate to change the topic but......The 12 ga. cheapo shells that you buy use soft shot, cheap cases, unknown powders and are not nearly as nice as AA's or STS.......and reloaders like to duplicate those better factory loads with the good empties.

500MAG
06-03-2014, 05:09 PM
The more people keep buying off gunbroker, the harder it will be able to find.

fecmech
06-03-2014, 07:42 PM
I hate to change the topic but......The 12 ga. cheapo shells that you buy use soft shot, cheap cases, unknown powders and are not nearly as nice as AA's or STS.......and reloaders like to duplicate those better factory loads with the good empties.
After over 500 patterns on my pattern plate IMO they are wasting their time. You cannot buy the quality of shot used in STS, Federal, or AA premium target shells in bagged shot. Not Lawrence magnum or any other IME. Shot size uniformity is what gives good patterns and short shot strings. Premium target loads have this. Cut open a STS or AA handicap shell, grab 20 or 30 pellets and measure with a caliper or mic. They will all be very close in size. Now grab the same number from your bag of hard shot. They will vary at least one shot size and be less uniform making for longer shot strings and poorer patterns. As far as promotional shotshells, they basically pattern 10-12% less dense at any given range than good target loads. If you simply go 1 step tighter in choke with the promo shells (than what you use with premium) you can duplicate the premium stuff until you run out of choke.
I've been shooting Skeet and Sporting Clays for over 40 years and have watched the reloaders with their "good Hulls" reload them till the case mouths are so thin they barely hold shot. Fire some of those "good" shells over a chrono and then fire some promotional shells over the chrono. I know where I'd put my money for ballistic uniformity.

Sorry for the Hijack

BNE
06-03-2014, 08:41 PM
I saw quite a few rifle powders in the new Cabellas in SC yesterday. No pistol / shotgun powders.

In a nother store, I even held a box of .22s (350 pcs), but I couldn't get over the $40 price tag. BUT they had a lot of them....

EDG
06-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Where do you get your powder information?

I pass on that powder all together. Has to be one of the worst metering powders in a Dillon!

Hickok
06-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Things must be improving, as I saw powder at 2 different gunshops a few days ago which included some Aliant and IMR which I haven't seen in over 2 years around here! I am starting to see the same thing in my area. But dang it, brass is still hard to find. Hope it gets better as time goes on.

About $34 with tax for a pound of powder.

Reg
06-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Was in the Sidney store on Sat, some Pyrodex and a couple of odd ball numbers I didn't know anything about, Rapid City today, a couple jars of 4064 and two other odd balls. No 22's.