PDA

View Full Version : FAL cast and reloads.

divinemarquis
05-30-2014, 01:17 AM
Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you out there cast and reload for the FAL and if so, what kind of loads and combos are you using? I am completely new to casting and have a small experience with reloading. Im trying to gather as much established information as possible before I just jump into buying a bunch of **** I wont use. I would like to start casting bullets but will start with my Enfield and Mosin before I graduate to my FAL and 9mm.

nicholst55
05-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Run a search; a member just recently reported stellar results with cast in his FAL.

7br
06-02-2014, 01:10 PM
When you search, you might also search on stg-58.

offshore44
06-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Yup, the results with the StG-58 were stellar. OK, they were impressive to me anyway. I have a DSA StG-58 standard. The bipod has been removed and a DSA scope mount top cover installed. Scoped with a Leupold FX-6 scope. This rifle will shoot consistent 2 - 3" groups all day long at 100 yards. That is a mag full or 20 rounds into 2 - 3". I have gotten three shot groups where all shots were touching.

Start by reading BruceB's M1A thread. Then there are two other threads about the StG-58. Some of the keys seem to be slower than normal powder limits lead deposits in the gas block and piston. Heavier than normal boolits shoot better than the standard 148 grn. Gas check are a must. Be realistic about velocity. Water dropped and heat treated boolits seem to work better than std alloys. I'm still working on boolit strength, but heat treated to 27 bhn, they work great. That's the next area of experimentation.

To make a long story short - the FAL will shoot cast effectively and accurately. It sometimes takes a little fiddling about, though, to get the perfect load combination.