PDA

View Full Version : red or green laser for nite ?

nekshot
05-29-2014, 10:55 AM
chicks are soon big enough to be in chicken house loose and we all know what follows at nite time. Want the expierence of protecting to be more sophisticated than using the old scattergun. If using a scope with laser, what color would work best- red or green? I got me a 357 18 inch barrel in a 12 gauge barrel with a H&R 158 and the load is 190 RD with 1 gr trail boss in a 38 special case. Now I need to see in the dark and I am good to go!

Smoke4320
05-29-2014, 01:43 PM
either will work fine at night .. Green will work in daylight for a short distance (depending on how bright the sunlight probably 30-40 yds on a cloudy day maybe 60 -100 Yds ) ... red will not

bangerjim
05-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Green........all the time......every time! They are SOOOOOOOO superior to red there is really no choice to make.

banger

Smoke4320
05-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Green........all the time......every time! They are SOOOOOOOO superior to red there is really no choice to make.

banger

till you run up on Godzilla , he thinks you are peaing on him and stomps you into the ground

nekshot
05-29-2014, 06:55 PM
wow, glad I asked because I would have gone with red. I figured there must be some reason they offer green. Thanks for the info

Smoke4320
05-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Green is approx. 3 times stronger than Red .. That's the reason it will be visible in daylight (again not too bright daylight )

dg31872
05-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Which one works better with a ir night vision scope?

hiram
06-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Interstate road sign backgrounds are green for high visibility.

Cmm_3940
06-03-2014, 01:10 AM
I find that a green laser is easy for me to set 'too bright' in low light, causing me to see spots. If I knew that I was _only_ going to use a laser at night, or at very close range, I'd prefer to use red, because it just works better with my eyes. That said, what I buy is green. Because I don't just shoot at night. Green is the only way to go during the day, and it seems like the only limiting factor on the effective distance is how much green you are willing to spend.

Red vs. green with night vision is an interesting question. Would the green be unbearably, blindingly bright, or not show up at all due to being the wrong wavelength to be detected and amplified?

Obviously, the correct answer to the original question is that it is absolutely essential to have both colors installed. ;-)

Del-Ray
06-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Kinda sorta off/on topic. We're moving out of Detroit, and to a place that allows chickens and such. Would it be prudent to install fencing with the 1/4 mesh for the bottom three feet of the chicken coop? And then use the standard coop wire for the rest of the side and the top? Or would that even matter. I was thinking about the finer mesh keeping more of the nasties out.

Thank you.

And green is better, brighter, and more "dangerous" to eye balls. Red was the cheapest the firstest, that's the only real reason it was used.

Try out one of those green laser dazzler lights they sell. They project a green beam like a finely tuned flashlight hundreds of yards away!

nekshot
06-03-2014, 08:00 AM
fence is installed but coons and possoms can dig, find small holes and pry and slip in but can't get back out which is the reason mostly for armemant. Nothing worse than opening shed door and seeing a hunk of fur scurring about looking for the way out! Damage is done but justice must prevail!

bangerjim
06-03-2014, 12:21 PM
With my night vision equipment, a red dot is really bright. I have never looked at the green dot. Guess I will have to dig out the nv goggles and check it out!

Most of what I use it for is relative close and the IR illuminator does all I need.

I use the green lasers with standard scopes. I chase the cats with red!!!!!!! They love it.

bangerjim

scarry scarney
06-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Now if you had a sig 226, I could make you a great deal on a infra-red Crimson Trace grip, to go with your night vision....

The green laser, most of the time, I can see the beam "slicing" through the air at night. On the red, I just seem the red dot on the target, unless there is smoke or dust in the air at night.

My first choice, if money was not an issue, would be the green laser.

Artful
06-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Which one works better with a ir night vision scope?

IR lasers do - then red isn't too overpowering - green looks like something out of starwars
thru NVG

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66529&d=1365217493 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66529&d=1365217493)

Lead Bandit
07-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Green are best if they are legal where you live.

45 2.1
07-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Leapers does or did offer scopes with the standard black crosshairs with both green and red illumination that is settable for intensity. The problem is seeing what you want to shoot with it thru the scope, not one of to bright green or red because you set it for yourself. Then there are laser designators, usually in green light with adjustable size/diameter illumination which are to aligned with the sights for you to see what's aimed at. These are good from your feet to 400 yards dependent on model. You also have the Trijicon ACOG, an excellent tool, again the problem of seeing the target when it is DARK, but, if you can see it (an outline will do) you can hit it. A good flood light with open sights is cheap and very effective also.

ohland
08-03-2014, 10:26 PM
moving out of Detroit

Mmm, will there be a Youtube video, "Escape from Detroit"? Who will be Snake?

Artful
08-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Mmm, will there be a Youtube video, "Escape from Detroit"? Who will be Snake?
It's already on Youtube but in the form you envision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFcctK7Albw
http://angrywhitedude.com/2012/05/book-review-paul-kerseys-escape-from-detroit/
http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2012/03/escape-from-detroit-collapse-of.html
http://www.vdare.com/articles/learn-whitey-learn-paul-kersey-s-escape-from-detroit

SeabeeMan
08-06-2014, 11:39 PM
I have a BeamShot GreenBeam 2000 that is crazy bright at night...almost to bright if you walk the beam across something close to you. My experience shooting coyotes with a laser has been that while the beam gives you a positive target point (assuming you are sighted appropriately) you still have to be able to see it to put the laser on it. I ended up with a laser illuminator by Laser Genetics, which while not giving you a dot to sight in on, illuminates your target so you can use the scope. There's plenty of videos on youtube of them in use and I've been very happy with mine.