PDA

View Full Version : $1 mod adds powder level light to Lee Classic Turret Press - video

celem
05-29-2014, 10:05 AM
I just uploaded a YouTube Video of my $1 mod to add a powder level examination light to my Lee Classic 4-hole Turret Press. The end of the video shows how I align my safety Primer arm for near 100% reliability (seldom drops a primer)

The Video link is:
YouTube Video (http://youtu.be/eN1lQckoD8c)

Beesdad
05-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Good video.. Thanks

Gar
05-29-2014, 11:06 AM
celem, thank you for taking the time to do the video and giving us the link.

flyingmonkey35
05-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Nice video.

rondog
05-29-2014, 11:23 AM
celem, thank you for taking the time to do the video and giving us the link.

Very nice! I like the light, gotta go get me one. But I don't think I'll ever like that Safety Prime contraption. That gave me too much grief, it's been retired and I prefer to batch prime anyway.

jmort
05-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Well done. Anyone considering the Classic Turret should watch this. Great press.Great mods. Great video.

dragon813gt
05-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Nice video. If you put a washer under the holder for the Safety Prime it will swing away after dropping a primer in the cup. I don't understand how Lee didn't get the measurements right.

celem
05-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Nice video. If you put a washer under the holder for the Safety Prime it will swing away after dropping a primer in the cup. I don't understand how Lee didn't get the measurements right.

I've tried a washer under the holder, actually, I've experimented with several washers of various thicknesses and found that it didn't help me with dropped primers. The only thing that has helped me is positioning the safety primer arm as shown in the video. Positioning it that way gives me great reliability. I didn't find the washer helpful because I don't really need for the primer arm to fall back since when you lower the RAM it falls back at that time. In any case, at least for me, having the safety primer arm fall back before the RAM is lowered did not improve my dropped primer rate. I understand people who have become frustrated with the safety primer system. However using it is art, not science, and understandably that frustrates people. What you need is simply a lot of practice and some experimentation on positioning.

bangerjim
05-29-2014, 04:09 PM
good idea to share.

I use those things all over the shops. On just about every machine and wood tool I have where I need to get some light "down in there" for accurate work.

When the batteries run down, I throw it away and get another one! The 3 watch size batteries cost more than the little light does.

Just remember to turn the stupid thing off when you are done!!!!!!

bangerjim

dbosman
05-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Many of the dollar stores sell cards of 10 batteries, usually near the register.

OnceFired
05-30-2014, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the video. I ended up getting a magnification lens light for my bench, but it doesn't have the advantage of seeing down in the cases very well. It's too big to do that. I'll have to try this out.

rondog
05-30-2014, 12:50 AM
All right you guys - I went to our Dollar Tree store today to get one of these lights, and they were all out. Really guys? Did y'all have to run in there and buy every dang one? Jeeze.....

kungfustyle
05-30-2014, 06:06 AM
Makes me want to get a turret press. Great video

zuke
05-30-2014, 06:16 AM
No Dollar Tree's up here.

Doc_Stihl
05-30-2014, 09:25 AM
They work well to see under the spout of a lead pot as well.