PDA

View Full Version : Guess who got a Savage Rascal today.

JeffinNZ
05-29-2014, 05:47 AM
https://jgcstories.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/dscn4632.jpg

sthwestvictoria
05-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Looks like a neat little rifle and happy recipients. I guess they follow in your foot-steps with the creative pajamas?
Do the cricket's come with the peep aperture like that? Edit yes they do - from the Savage website only 1.2kg (2.66lb) , 74cm (31inches) - would make a fun backpack rifle chasing rabbits.

richhodg66
05-29-2014, 07:46 AM
A few years ago, I got my niece one of those, only difference was that variant had a tiny thumbhole stock. Not sure Savage makes it like that anymore, but I liked the peep sight and the Accu Trigger features. She seems to have liked the rifle, though she has out grown it now.

7br
05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Well, Is the one on the left or the right the Savage Rascal? They both look like a hand full, but Savage might be a little bit of an overstatement.

22calgal
05-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I wish I would have had a better childhood with one of those rifles! However, as an adult, I get to go shoot my pink Cricket at the range today. I am recovering from West Nile virus, and my right arm doesn't work so well from nerve damage. I just prop my right elbow on my pink shooting bag and take no prisoners, tin cans have no chance again my Cricket and me. Bless those beautiful blossoming Rifle-girls!!

starmac
05-29-2014, 12:26 PM
I will be waiting on reports of how well it shoots. I think this is about the best designed rimfire out for kids, but have been hearing some bad reports about some of the savage rimfires. Really thinking I need to get my grandson one of these.

schutzen
05-29-2014, 01:20 PM
You and your wife look like you have your hands full with that pair. Great looking kids, and I'm betting they are well behaved.

Kudo's to Dad, you purchased the best youth .22 made today. The Savage Rascal is head and shoulders above the competitor's rifles. I wish they had been available when my son's were young. I spent more getting a Marlin 15YN to shoot well than I did for the gun itself. My grandchildren get Savages.

shooterg
05-29-2014, 01:45 PM
+1 on it being the best kid gun out now. The Chipmunk my daughter got when she was 6 at least had the aperture sight also, but still had the cocking piece like most of us started with.
The Savage cocks with the bolt and has a safety so they get used to one more thing that'll be on their first deer rifle(which you'll be buying soon enough !)

The Crickett's out now have replaced the older Chipmunk, and have a freakin' PLASTIC cocking piece.

starmac
05-29-2014, 01:55 PM
The bolt cocking is what I like best about them. The old pull cock on the chipmonk, cricket and others to my way of thinking was a poor idea at best for small kids. And yes I had them when I was a kid, and so did my kids, but I'm thinking my grandkids will have a rascal. lol

Zymurgy50
05-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Does that little one ever take off that bunny suit???

Nice choice for a first rifle, hope everyone enjoys the time spent with it.

JeffinNZ
05-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Does that little one ever take off that bunny suit???

Not often. :-)

The Rascal will be fed a diet of 1970's vintage Eley standard velocity as I picked up 5000 rounds dirt cheap a few years back. For hunting I use my rimfire reforming tool to HP it.

mikeym1a
05-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Really cute picture! I'm sure they will have a lot of fun with that little gun. Neat stuff!

enfield
05-29-2014, 07:43 PM
No creature is safe in NZ now, Kiwisaurus, man eating kakapo and don't forget those huge rabbits with razor sharp teeth.

NWPilgrim
05-29-2014, 10:37 PM
I got a Rascal for my 6yr old grandson. After learning to operate and handle it safely he took several rounds to figure out the sights. Once he started getting good hits on clay pigeons he was loading so smoothly you would think he was a bloody Tommy with his Enfield defending the trench.

Rifle seems plenty accurate for tin can plinking and we had no malfunctions. Pure fun for him and he was very proud he had learned to shoot a rifle safely.

Bulldogger
05-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Lovely picture, thanks for sharing.
BDGR

dilly
05-31-2014, 12:40 AM
Cute picture. I've got two nieces in New Zealand, a little bit younger than that but I never have been able to see them. Wish I had a (huge) bit more travel funds!

crazy mark
06-01-2014, 01:37 AM
I bought my 12 week old Great Grand daughter a pink one. At her age she doesn't know what it is but she will. Good looking girls by the way.

Iowa Fox
06-01-2014, 01:58 AM
Got my kids a chipmunk when they first came out. We all had a lot of fun with it, I know your girls will have fun also.

firefly1957
06-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Teach them well.