PDA

View Full Version : Help me Pick a Handi Rifle

mpbarry1
05-28-2014, 11:28 PM
At the Nevada Cast Boolit shoot, two things became painfully obvious:

1. Rockshooter loves his Handi Rifle ( I did too)
2. If I am going to get closer to Tim J., I am gonna have to have a better trigger than the one on my Turk. lol. (Tim can really shoot BTW).

So, I am thinking of a Handi Rifle because, well, because I want one. :) What I think I have learned reading through the forum is

- the Rimmed cartridges shoot better more often. ( is this true?)
- don't dry fire them, like ever, unless you want to buy a transfer bar. (pretty sure this is true)
- Keep the brass and chamber oil and lube free.
- They are fun....

Looking at the H and R sight, there several varieties. None are exactly what I think I want. Here is what I am looking for

- a 30 Caliber rifle, (probably 30-30)? (the only one listed is in a youth model?)
- Open sights ( I like the ones on the Buffalo Classic model a lot, not sure about what you can bolt on, it appears a lot of the barrel options do not have a barrel set up for open sights... ?)
- I like the Handigrip stock (Looks comfortable and indestructible, perhaps ugly...) Opinions?
- Was thinking about a longer barrel, but not really long... like 18-22"

Ideas and Opinions on how to get/build one I can afford would be greatly appreciated.

35 shooter
05-29-2014, 12:06 AM
I was just on their site and under the rifle section if you just scroll straight down and don't log onto to any specific model, the 30/30 is the first listed. It has a 22" bbl. and comes with iron sights.
My brother has one in 35 whelen and it will shoot. I have the tc encore in the same cal., but i too would love to have an h&r. in 30/30. And yes your less likely to encounter head space problems with a rimmed case. Although most any problem encountered with the single shots can be fixed.

bikerbeans
05-29-2014, 02:02 AM
I am fairly sure that HR1871 has recently discontinued the Handirifle in 30-30, but you should be able to find one if you hurry.

No oil on the breech face of the barrel or receiver, or the latch shelf or latch and in the chamber is a must if you want a good lockup.

The Williams peep sight that mounts into the rear two scope rail holes on the 45-70 Buffalo Classic barrel will mount on any Handirifle barrel that is d/t for a scope rail by the factory. You may need to change the front sight to get the gun "on paper" for elevation.

Standard barrel length is 22" and I am not sure if the Handi 30-30 was available in other barrel lengths.

BB

rhead
05-29-2014, 07:43 AM
My 30 30 and both of my 357s are tack drivers. So is my hornet but the hornet takes more care to get the accuracy from. Weighing the powder charge to a tenth of a grain and sorting the boolits by weight are necessary.

I have heard reports of extraction problems with some rimless rounds but have never owned one myself.

Tatume
05-29-2014, 07:53 AM
The H&R web site still shows the Handi-Rifle in 30/30 Winchester as the very first listing. If they've discontinued it, they aren't advertising the fact.

Note that H&R makes two different styles of wooden butt stocks for their adult-length rifles. One is meant for iron sights and the other is for scopes. The latter is too tall for comfortable use of iron sights.

Goatwhiskers
05-29-2014, 08:04 AM
It's not that the rimmed cartridges "shoot better", it's the fact that extraction is always positive. The rimless cartridges don't exactly have a problem, but it has happened that the extractor/ejector slips out of the groove and ya gotta take steps to get the case out. There's always a cause that's easily cured, but it's frustrating. Dry firing, that's true. +1 on what bb said, keep the latch and latch shelf bone dry, clean them with a Q-tip. This is the prime cause of a gun unlatching when fired. Get ya one and enjoy! GW

DHurtig
05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
I love Handi's, but hate the pallet wood stocks. These are my two. The top one is a Survivor model in 357 and is the most used gun I own. It has a 6x scope on it now. There is such a wide choice of bullets and powders that you can load it from sub sonic pest control or plinking loads on up to serious medicine for deer sized game. The bottom one is an Ultra Hunter model in 45-70 and has a 2-7x scope on it now. It is also very versatile and can be loaded with everything from little collar button bullets on up to 500 grain buffalo killers. You can even load it with shot for those small game targets of opportunity. I would also want one in 30-30 were it not for the fact that I already own a TC carbine in 30-30. Dale

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/NEFsurvivor.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/c_latrans/media/NEFsurvivor.jpg.html)

jmort
05-29-2014, 10:04 AM
I just got two actions off gun broker, $150.00 for the pair, and will be getting youth stock/forends from Brownells and then sending them off to factory for .223 and .30-30 barrels with rifle sights. Will then replace sights with Skinner sights and will have two Handi Rifles exactly how I want. I am 5'9" and must have short arms as "Youth/ladies" LOP always works best for me. I have one Handi with .223 bull barrel and a .308 bull barrel and and 12 gauge barrel all factory fit. It is easy to swap barrels out. I think the 30-30 would be a really nice choice for you, very cast friendly. Everyone seems to love their .357 barrels, lot of them reamed to .357 max, but only option is with cantilever scope mount. I don't want a scoped .357. Also have an Ultra Slug Hunter 12 gauge. Big Handi Fan here.

mpbarry1
05-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Note that H&R makes two different styles of wooden butt stocks for their adult-length rifles. One is meant for iron sights and the other is for scopes. The latter is too tall for comfortable use of iron sights.

are the handigrip stocks set drop good with open sights?

Tatume
05-29-2014, 04:16 PM

Are the handigrip stocks set drop good with open sights?

The stock set is offered on a Handi-Rifle called the "Handi-Grip Handirifle," and it is pictured with a scope base. Therefore, I doubt the Handigrip stock set is suitable for open sights. I have no experience with this stock, so cannot say for certain.

timspawn
05-29-2014, 04:24 PM
I have three Handi's in 300 Blk. I like the fact that it is 30 caliber and it doesnt use a lot of powder. I have had great luck with mine. Almost forgot to mention my Handi in 357 that shoots 125 grain boolits under one inch at 100 yards out of 38spl cases.

Bohica793
05-29-2014, 06:09 PM
I just picked up a Handi in .308 with a 4.5-14 scope. Now waiting on my dies and brass to load for it and looking for a 45-70 to go with it.

Beagle333
05-29-2014, 07:59 PM
I got a Handi in 30/30 and love it. Next one will be 35 Whelen. :grin:

Lefty Red
05-30-2014, 03:39 PM
The Handi Grip stock has a pretty low comb for a stock that is designed for a scope. I could use either sights or a scope on my Handi Grip 223.

I would not go the route of buying a rifle and then shipping it to H&R for another barrel. Just isn't cost effective.
Most barrels are $105.
Fitting and shipping back $25 and $19.
Tax @ 6.5% $9ish.
Plus shipping and insurance getting the receiver and forearm there. $20.
You are looking at $180ish for a different barrel.

Jerry

mpbarry1
05-30-2014, 05:00 PM
thanks for the info jerry. ill look for a 3030 and try a handigrip stock on it. thank you!

tacklebury
05-30-2014, 09:28 PM
.30-30's are discontinued. If any dealers still show some stock, they keep it on the web page. The Trap gun has been gone for years as has the TDC and other calibers. The H&R website is usually not a great place to decide what they have. I personally got a .30-30 then had it reamed to .30-40 Krag by Jeepman on Graybeards site for a $50 donation. Works great and is a terrific stalking rifle. I put a Williams WGRS on the rear with a 1/16" Gold bead Marbles tall front sight. It's got a great definition and is good out to about 300 yards with my loads. If you use jacketed bullets, you can get nearly .30-06 loads with Reloader17 in less than 48K psi. I am converting this barrel over to all lead though and going to start casting for it soon. I have a .30-06 Ultra Rifle Barrel for the heavier and longer jacketed bullets. 8)

Another great barrel/gun to get is the .223 heavy barrel for bench shooting. Mine first came out of the box shooting .31" groups. It is cut down to 16.25" now and has a 4-16x40mm Mildot on it. With my .223 gameking loads it is a 400 yard deer rifle and with 55 gr. Ballistic tips, it'll shoot sub 3" groups at 200 yards. Good enough for the varmints I hunt. With 4.2 gr. Unique and a 46 gr. Winchester HP designed for the Hornet, it's a nice .22 Mag replacement and will do sub 1/2" groups with those. 8)

I should state also though that my MOST versatile and favorite barrel is my .45-70. But if you don't reload and don't like recoil, probably not the best choice. I am just starting into casting for this caliber also. 8) This is a slightly out of date picture of my switchbarrel set-up, albeit missing the huntsman, .30-06 and .22 versapack barrels I have added. 8)

mpbarry1
05-30-2014, 09:43 PM
very nice Tacklebury! does someone else make your barrels?

Catshooter
05-31-2014, 01:31 AM
I'm not Tacklebury but his barrels are all H&R/NEF I'm pretty sure. He's got quite the set up.

Cat

NavyVet1959
05-31-2014, 02:15 AM
I would not go the route of buying a rifle and then shipping it to H&R for another barrel. Just isn't cost effective.
Most barrels are $105.
Fitting and shipping back $25 and $19.
Tax @ 6.5% $9ish.
Plus shipping and insurance getting the receiver and forearm there. $20.
You are looking at $180ish for a different barrel.

Which is still slightly cheaper than a new barrel for a Thompson Encore.

Now, I wouldn't buy an H&R with a barrel that I didn't need and then ship it to them for a barrel that I really wanted. That's kind of wasteful, but I guess if you got a good enough deal on the original H&R, it *could* make financial sense. And if you have multiple barrels that you wanted, you could save a bit by getting them all fitted at the same time, I guess.

Mike in TX
05-31-2014, 06:44 AM
I will NEVER get rid of my 45-70 short, bull barrel. I put a stock with Monte Carlo styling and it hits everything that I aim at. Even the hotter loads are easy on the shoulder.

Lefty Red
05-31-2014, 06:51 AM
thanks for the info jerry. ill look for a 3030 and try a handigrip stock on it. thank you!

Probably your best route.

I don't want to sound like I don't like H&R, I like their older gun (especailly their shotguns allot). I had their 45/70 that shoot 2" goups at 100 yards with stock sights. I have their older Topper in 30/30 that has never failed me. I have a shorten 357 Mag now that is not what it's cracked up to be and had a bad CS experiance with it. Its just that for what they are and the price they are being sold for now, they just aren't as cost effective. They are going for $330 new around here. But I was able to go to KY and find a few in the $275 range. So its cheaper to buy the complete rifle IMHO.

A 30/30 with a Handi Grip sounds like a great option. I got my stock off of eBay cheap, and it was new. Just got to watch for them. But I think Midway has just the stock too, so that would be cheaper too.

Jerry

Jerry

NavyVet1959
05-31-2014, 03:32 PM
I like the .45-70 Buffalo Classic. Something about a 32" barrel in that caliber just appeals to me at some sort of guttural level. Unfortunately, I already have a Thompson Encore in .45-70, so I'm not exactly inclined to get another single-shot .45-70.

The H&R in .357 mag interests me though. It has a long throat, so you can load to .357 max velocities while still using .357 mag brass. Many people ream it out to .357 max though. With handloads, you can go anywhere from powderpuff small game loads to deer loads. I prefer reloading straight walled cases anyway. The .357 mag or .357 max barrels for the Thompson Encore are not that readily available and the ones that I have found end up being more expensive than just buying an H&R rifle chambered in that caliber.

Oh, and don't forget the H&R "Ultra Slug" 12-gauge. There are some people who have done some VERY high powered loads in that rifled barrel.

mpbarry1
05-31-2014, 04:08 PM
I have my guy looking for a 30 30. do I want one 1999 or later? it looks like they wont do barrels on older rifles than 1999?

NavyVet1959
05-31-2014, 05:33 PM
I have my guy looking for a 30 30. do I want one 1999 or later? it looks like they wont do barrels on older rifles than 1999?

Probably depends upon whether you might ever want another caliber barrel for it. I have an old H&R Topper .410 shotgun and when the light shines on it just right, the bluing nearly looks like it was a case hardened finish. I doubt the new guns look as good, but it wouldn't stop me from buying one.

mpbarry1
05-31-2014, 06:06 PM
thanks guys