PDA

View Full Version : Adventures of a Kitchen Table "Gunsmith"

TXGunNut
05-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Got my new Weaver scope in today but I was hungry when I got home. I did what any good redneck would do, cranked up the heat under some cast iron, put the gun vise on the table and poured a couple fingers of good Scotch. ;) By the time supper was ready scope was mounted on my 35 Rem 336 and table was clear. After supper I still had enough light to boresight but yesterday's rain washed all the bird**** off the side of the shed on the other side of the carport. :holysheep Put the vise back on the table, propped open the back door and put a piece of masking tape up across the driveway for an aiming point. Problem solved, another job well done. :smile:

Love Life
05-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Don't forget to remove the laser from the barrel!!

TXGunNut
05-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Laser? Who needs a laser when you have bird****, umm tape? I just pull the bolt out, line up the bore on a distant object and adjust the crosshairs. Almost always on paper @ 100, always on @ 25.

facetious
05-29-2014, 03:45 AM
Put a fired case with the primer out in the chamber and site through the primer hole. Some one showed me that a long time a go and it gets you pretty close.

sthwestvictoria
05-29-2014, 04:10 AM
Put a fired case with the primer out in the chamber and site through the primer hole. Some one showed me that a long time a go and it gets you pretty close.

What a great idea -a barrel peep sight. Will try this next time I am setting up a scope,

Gar
05-29-2014, 09:56 AM

Been do this for years, works great to put you on paper with the first shot!

searcher4851
05-30-2014, 11:35 AM

That's how I was taught to do it, many decades ago. They didn't have any of them there fancy laser boresighters back then. Always seemed to be pretty darned close with the old method.

oneokie
05-30-2014, 12:35 PM

How are you able to see through the primer hole doing that with a lever gun? Mirror?

9w1911
05-30-2014, 12:39 PM
You can remove the bolt assembly in my 1894c and 1895gg, I m not sure how you could do this with a Winchester action.

sthwestvictoria
05-30-2014, 01:26 PM
How are you able to see through the primer hole doing that with a lever gun? Mirror?

With the Marlin 336 the job is very easy, one screw on the lever pivot and the bolt can be slid out. Just make sure you catch the ejector as the bolt comes rearwards. Of course a very different story with the 1894!

David2011
05-30-2014, 02:04 PM
The original bore sighter! Agreed, almost always on paper at 100 yds. and my preferred method when mountig a scope.

david

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-30-2014, 02:10 PM

That sounds neat.
But then I'd miss out watching my one Cat drool every time I have a freshly scoped rifle in one hand and the lasor bore sighter in the other...It's her special treat.

Love Life
05-30-2014, 06:32 PM
I peronally don't use lasers and assumed that maybe you did. I apologize for the fracas.

TXGunNut
05-30-2014, 09:01 PM
I peronally don't use lasers and assumed that maybe you did. I apologize for the fracas.

No need to apologize, my friend! We're just having fun here. I like the primer hole idea, actually. Centering the mark in the bore takes a little practice and my old eyes need all the help they can get. I've got my share of fancy gear but sometimes rednek tek is best! Besides, last thing my rifles need is a bore obstruction and an operator with CRS. ;-)